Turf war?

john tv

I have made reference to the turf at the stadium and quoted Dwayne DeRosario who said that it still feels very hard and difficult on the ankles. He reasoned that there is still cement underneath.

It is also quite obvious that we have more than normal the number of injured players. So the question is,is it worth it that turf,or just turf it out and play on grass, or as fans should we suggest just that. Is that turf the culprit.

It also seems a big reason that Beckham is not playing.Apparently Lalas was quoted as saying that because of this surface David was defenitely not playing.It is to hard on the ankles and especially David's.

I don'ty see why we just can't have the regular grass field.

Certainly in Canada.It is just so normal and no need for any other sport to be used. It certainly will please foremost the players,bring down that injury problem and I believe that the plays will be a lot more attractive and just real soccer.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by john tv

I have made reference to the turf at the stadium and quoted Dwayne DeRosario who said that it still feels very hard and difficult on the ankles. He reasoned that there is still cement underneath.

It is also quite obvious that we have more than normal the number of injured players. So the question is,is it worth it that turf,or just turf it out and play on grass, or as fans should we suggest just that. Is that turf the culprit.

It also seems a big reason that Beckham is not playing.Apparently Lalas was quoted as saying that because of this surface David was defenitely not playing.It is to hard on the ankles and especially David's.

I don'ty see why we just can't have the regular grass field.

Certainly in Canada.It is just so normal and no need for any other sport to be used. It certainly will please foremost the players,bring down that injury problem and I believe that the plays will be a lot more attractive and just real soccer.

So why do New England, Red Bull, and Real Salt Lake not have the same number of injuries? They all play on turf.

Please show me the quote where Lalas says that Beckham is definitely not playing. I don't think, at this point, he has said anything of the sort.

And the reasons for not having real grass have been covered over and over.

He said this on the fan 590 I believe yesterday.He said that the recovery after the game was longer because of this surface.

He did say that, you are right. But at no point did he say he was "definitely not playing" (your words). He offered no opinion as to whether he would play or not.

Listen to the interview here:

http://www.fan590.com/features/hotaudio.jsp

Please stop making stuff up and posting it here.

ok you are right,I was stating what my son had heard I did not hear that interview. I guess the writing is on the wall,although I suspect it may be possible that David will play for a couple of minutes. However following Lalas observations he will not. I phoned my scalper and he was not interested. he is not playing he said and that was that.I will be at the media conference and what I will try to do is to get as many pictures as possible and put them on this board,once I figured it out how to do it.

I just left the Firkin and here they are.Paul and Paul. They both claim to be real soccer fans,however football is still first. Beckham well Paul no 2 who knew more players in the NASL than me said,Beckham is destroying the league and Paul no 1,a great Leeds fan, he will never go and see a TFC game. In fact they both said that.

Even the converted are not interested. I offered them my tickets,Hockey ok but no soccer. These are guys who know even more about soccer as I do.Mind you they are both in their forties.

I wonder if you guys can give me some insight on your bar crowd as far as soccer is concerned.

I still feel it is a very much an uphill battle among the over forthy crowd.

In fact I even felt a certain amount of animosity even among those older soccer fans.

Donavan is adding fuel to the issue,he said according to the Toronto Sun in a headline today,

THE BMO FIELD TURF SUCKS.

It is kind of a shame because you have a gorgeous stadium in a beatifull city and than you come out and play on this,Donavan told reporters after the pracice yesterday. I don't know why they decided to cut corners there I am not happy about it.

I also wonder why we can't have just normal grass.It will help in many areas and maintaining this field is certainly not a big problem.

It will bring out a better game and I believe certainly less injuries as well,which is what this is all about,a healthy team and happy fans.

I wonder how Mo and the players feel about this turf.

Donavan is adding fuel to the issue,he said according to the Toronto Sun in a headline today,

It is kind of a shame because you have a gorgeous stadium in a beatifull city and than you come out and play on this,Donavan told reporters after the pracice yesterday. I don't know why they decided to cut corners there I am not happy about it.

I also wonder why we can't have just normal grass.It will help in many areas and maintaining this field is certainly not a big problem.

It will bring out a better game and I believe certainly less injuries as well,which is what this is all about,a healthy team and happy fans.

Donovan being against it is an even greater argument in favour of artificial turf.

Facing the 12 man team in Toronto I am not at all surprised Donovan takes this attitude. It's rubbish of course - his comment about the turf, not the turf itself.

quote:Originally posted by vancanman

Turf is crap, not just BMO. If they can have grass pitches in Sweden and other such countries, why can't we? Turf just makes things seem so NASL-y (pronounced nasally).

...and in Russia they are going with plastic Turf as the Sottich refer to it as they cannot get Pitchforks thru it....Bunch of losers.... You got to use whatever is avalilable to you...Better than the natural land mines in certain parts of Latin America and other locals...

quote:Originally posted by vancanman

Turf is crap, not just BMO. If they can have grass pitches in Sweden and other such countries, why can't we? Turf just makes things seem so NASL-y (pronounced nasally).

...and in Russia they are going with plastic Turf as the Sottich refer to it as they cannot get Pitchforks thru it....Bunch of losers.... You got to use whatever is avalilable to you...Better than the natural land mines in certain parts of Latin America and other locals...

If you ask the tfc players privately, it will be a different response than when asked by a media member.

uh oh...not this again...where is plastic lover richard who will feed us all with statistics that claim plastic is far superior to grass and major international footballers dont know anything....

people will post that they have played on plastic in their wednesday night senior men's league and that it is even better than grass...and because of this the majority of international footballers must be wrong.

they have plastic because it is astronomically expensive to hire 3 guys and pay them 10 bucks an hour to mow and water grass.

as well, local children's teams and senior men's beer leagues couldnt play on it if it were grass...and after all they are taxpayers and they paid for it....the plastic also allows these same amateurs to play under a bubble in the winter.

plastic is apparently the future and we must accept it....i think they said that about astroturf in the 70's...

and finally, the plastic allows them to host corporate events on the field.

of course none of the arguments have anything to do with the quality of the pitch...by far the most important factor.

people here will use their local amateur plastic pitch as justification that it is the same as grass...indicating that they believe the intensity of use and pitch quality of a local amatuer field should be equal to that of the only soccer stadium in a rich country of 32 million people.

i entirely agree it is bush and embarassing...but according to richard and others here there are teams in the major leagues in europe playing on it...of course only if you consider a few teams in russia 'major'.

tv: No one has ever said turf is better than a GOOD grass pitch to play on. Go find a post when someone did and paste it here. I once said as an amateur I prefer playing on turf to playing on grass, but that's because most grass pitches available to amateurs are uneven surfaces and get flooded. If you'd rather hoof it in a cow pasture be my guest. Nothing is better to play on than a well groomed natural grass pitch with proper drainage. Why a pro team like TFC can't have one I don't know, but as for AMATEUR teams and youth development level, low maintenance/cheaper playing surfaces which have cheap water drainage systems are a good idea.

Because TFC does not own BMO Field, neither does MLSE, it is owned by the City of Toronto and managed on their behalf by MLSE. Furthermore the mandate from all levels of government who provided the money to build the place was that it's usage be maximised and that it be made available for community use. There was no alternative to AT with that mandate in place and we either have a BMO Field with AT or no stadium and no TFC. Take your pick.

Every major facility in this country at the moment is publicly owned, how many times must people be reminded of that reality? The only way TFC could sustain a natural grass playing surface would be for MLSE or some other private operator to buy out BMO Field and take it private. Does anybody here know of any contenders?

Right BMO is the only place in the world with field turf and none of us knew about it before 2006. I think this thread like the other turf thread has become confused. Another thread called "I blindly hate artifical playing surfaces and can offer no solutions to the BMO issue but I'm going to keep bringing it up" should be made a sticky and all this crap can go in there.

Archived