Boca Juniors could start U.S. franchise

georg

Boca Juniors could start U.S. franchise

Posted: Wednesday August 01, 2007 10:23AM ET

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/

Argentine giants Boca Juniors are looking at the possibility of establishing a franchise of their club in the United States, to compete in Major League Soccer next season. The current South American champions are excited about the idea, and have announced that if "Boca Juniors USA" becomes a reality Guillermo Barros Schelotto is likely to be the ambassador of the project.

I saw their name on future MLS team in wikipedia. However, it vanished a couple of hours after. This would be awesome. Now, all we need is Ajax Canada and we're set.

Apparently, they're considering it in Miami or New York. They would probably prefer Miami as they have a pretty big Argentine population who like Boca. However, New York has a stadium being built and I can see another team using it like the Home Depot Centre. It's a near identical situation.

Here's a better article as well,

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=368026

This is getting ridiculous. MLS is becominging a back yard cash cow for the worlds biggest clubs.

Personally, I would prefer to see American/ Canadian clubs being formed by people within the soccer cultures of our 2 countries. MLS is going to be nothing but a "brand" league. I just cant forsee this doing any good for developing our own Soccer identities.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

This is getting ridiculous. MLS is becominging a back yard cash cow for the worlds biggest clubs.

Personally, I would prefer to see American/ Canadian clubs being formed by people within the soccer cultures of our 2 countries. MLS is going to be nothing but a "brand" league. I just cant forsee this doing any good for developing our own Soccer identities.

Yeah, but I can see this doing alot of good in developing talent.

Well, I am not sure how TFC has contributed to developing Canadian players – the young guys were absolute garbage at the U20, while Mo-I hate Canada-Johnson thinks all the CDN players are “average.” If we have another Mo at the helm of FCT and they change the rules so that Mo no. 2 can stack it “above-average” Americans and Andy Welsh clo(w)nes how are we further ahead then if we have an AJAX academy in Canada that competes and improves the level of MSL?

quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

Well, I am not sure how TFC has contributed to developing Canadian players – the young guys were absolute garbage at the U20, while Mo-I hate Canada-Johnson thinks all the CDN players are “average.” If we have another Mo at the helm of FCT and they change the rules so that Mo no. 2 can stack it “above-average” Americans and Andy Welsh clo(w)nes how are we further ahead then if we have an AJAX academy in Canada that competes and improves the level of MSL?

I'm glad to see a large number of us want to see an Ajax quality youth academy for Toronto FC.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by putkaputka

I can't see how you would expect TFC to assist in developing players at this point. It will take years.

MoJo is talking about the players at his disposal, and as tactless as it may be, he is mostly right. Our top players are inaccessible.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I can't see how you would expect TFC to assist in developing players at this point. It will take years.

MoJo is talking about the players at his disposal, and as tactless as it may be, he is mostly right. Our top players are inaccessible.

Yeah, we're talking about them opening up a youth academy.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

I saw their name on future MLS team in wikipedia. However, it vanished a couple of hours after. This would be awesome. Now, all we need is Ajax Canada and we're set.

Apparently, they're considering it in Miami or New York. They would probably prefer Miami as they have a pretty big Argentine population who like Boca. However, New York has a stadium being built and I can see another team using it like the Home Depot Centre. It's a near identical situation.

Here's a better article as well,

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=368026

I dont think Miami should get another team again. What a waste of time and energy that will be.

If Boca wants a team in MLS, why not? I would welcome more Argentine and South American players in the league. I just wouldn't put it in Miami. Way too hot and humid in the summer and Miami is a wierd sports town.

Archived