TFC goalkeeping situation?

loyola

I know Sutton is injured but is David Monsalve the new starter for TFC? I saw Srdjan was dressed and on the bench so I assume he's fit to play. I'm curious to know why Monsalve started over Srdjan (I didn't see the highlights of TFC game against Colombus so I don't know if Srdjan played well in that game).

BTW, I thought Monsalve was quite good today. He needs to improve his play on crosses/corners but I liked his overall play (3-4 good saves and he's speedy so he covers some ground between him and his defense).

There's another signing in the works. Should be done by Tuesday from what I read. Either a Canadian or a youth international (non-Canadian born pre-1984) who plays in Europe. Begovic on loan would be one of my guesses.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Richard Hastings would be my guess. The club has conceded the most goals in the league. The back line has never been really stable

Unless Richard is moving to the keeper position, I don't think it will be him.

db

quote:Originally posted by bobovieri

I was surprised not to see Djekanovic as the starter today. In Pre-Game

warmups he looked fine, and after watching the Aston Villa game Monslave

is still a few years away.

A Canadian goalkeeper who was rated highly in US scouting camps from DC

United was a kid by the name of Anthony Posteraro. He was in the Canadian Football

League for Edmonton Eskimos as a kicker and is big strong guy was a huge

leg and quick reflexes.I believe he is using this season to play college

soccer in Ottawa Algonquin(sp)who are Canadian Champions.

and hopefully he can be with TFC along with a healthy Sutton next season.

Djekanovic will also play University soccer again at British Columbia

who incidentally won the CIS championship in his season. He also has spells

overseas in his native Serbia

I think we were all surprised to read in the Sun that Monsalves was likely going to get the start.

He did reasonably well considering the total lack of support.

db

Guest Jeffery S.

I personally am pretty pissed off that Mo is not giving consistency to Serge, as he deserves it, as Mo himself has said he has settled in and has improved a lot, because the team needs some consistency in the position as it really helps the defence (and Srdjan is pretty good at keeping the defence sharp, one of his virtues), plus the fact that the defenders are not going to pay too much attention to an unproven teenager, there is a hierarchy question there that once you solve (and I am not saying a young keeper cannot get to that point of being able to yell at his defenders and have them listen to him) you should not be playing with.

As is the keeper with the best record on the team and the best goals against is Djekanovic. The stats do not mean everything, but they are not entirely meaningless either.

jeffrey, I tend to agree. I really dont know why Mo is so quick to drop Djekanovic from the starting 11. He has not been fantastic but he's been more than passable and has only given up a couple of goals that were sketchy. He has proven to be a better than average shot stopper. He's not great at commanding the box but he's young and can improve in that aspect of the game. I really dont see a tremendous difference between Djekanovic and Greg Sutton, to be totally honest. They are relatively interchangeable in my mind. Sutton is more experienced and that means a lot at the GK position, which is why, if healthy, he should start but I dont think he is that much more talented, if at all.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

If you check out the Canadian Abroad thread for this week, 'rednwhite' is posting that Kenny S. is being linked with TFC.

Kenny S. would be a logical choice. The Sportsnet article speculate that it might be Wagenaar.

I think both of those guys would be good keepers for TFC and would be an improvement of the current situation and they're canadians. Plus, they're currently back ups for their clubs so first team action would be great for them.

Guest Jeffery S.

I've seen Kenny play. He is good getting off his line, can get to the high balls, though does not always hold onto them. But Norway experience is okay for high ball and corner experience.

His hands are not the greatest, though he has good reflexes, can be spectacular in shot stopping, but will give out rebounds.

I am not convinced he is better than either Sutton or Srdjan, but since the team's real problem is its consistency overall, a bit of intensity and constancy in attack, some more possession, and keeping everything in order at the back, it would be hard to argue that keeping is the major concern at TFC.

Re stats: Djekanovic has the 6th best goal's against in MLS, Sutton the worst. True, he was in there in the first games when things were a bit chaotic. Srdjan has a 2-3-2 record, Sutton's is 2-5-1. Neither has a good save percentage, in fact Srdjan has had few shots on him, which could be luck, or could also be that he really is good in keeping his defenders on the ball. I know that this is an intagible for lots here, but I think it really is a virtue in his play. I think he has only been barraged once, vs. Houston, but that is hard to analyze I admit.

After Monsalve played vs. Aston Villa, he got the playing time, a bit of confidence in case he had to come in, it was senseless to play him in a league game. Especially since vs. Villa he did not really show himself to be clearly superior to Srdjan. That was a poor move on Mo's part, I am frankly bewildered by it. Was it just his way of demoralizing Srdjan to prepare him for being the sub to whoever is coming in, like Kenny? How much do you want to bet that in the end Mo will cede and the starter will be Djekanovic and not Stamatopolous?

I've seen Djekanovic and he hasn't impressed me except for the game against Houston where he looked solid. His distribution and play in the air are a disaster waiting to happen. Yes, he hasn't conceeded that many goals, but he's making too many mistakes for that level and maybe that's why Mo isn't starting him.

I think the question here is whether you go with a more experienced keeper like Kenny S. or with a more talented keepers like a Wagenaar or Srdjan or Monsalve but still very inexperienced?

The thing is that Serge was getting better with each game, even if he did have a gaffe on the second goal by Columbus. But that's the sort of mistake I would want to see if young keepers can learn from rather than nailing them to the bench, especially when improvement is easy to see in so many other areas. His positional sense has been great & he doesn't give up rebounds as much as others do.

Having said that, it was nice to see Monsalve get some experience & do well yesterday. He might have done better on the opening goal, but he had kept TFC in it for the first 20 minutes.

The problem will be, for any keeper that plays for TFC, that they are getting many more shots against them than another other team in the league. That has been the case the whole season, but was particularly bad early on & the past three games.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The thing is that Serge was getting better with each game, even if he did have a gaffe on the second goal by Columbus. But that's the sort of mistake I would want to see if young keepers can learn from rather than nailing them to the bench, especially when improvement is easy to see in so many other areas. His positional sense has been great & he doesn't give up rebounds as much as others do.

Having said that, it was nice to see Monsalve get some experience & do well yesterday. He might have done better on the opening goal, but he had kept TFC in it for the first 20 minutes.

The problem will be, for any keeper that plays for TFC, that they are getting many more shots against them than another other team in the league. That has been the case the whole season, but was particularly bad early on & the past three games.

Yesterday, I felt more comfortable with Monsalve in goal than I ever felt with Serge even though I do recognize that Serge was improving. Why Mo chose Monsalve over Serge is a mystery to me unless he felt the same way I did.

It's nothing I can put my finger on but Monsalve, although ya, he had some scary moments, just seemed less scary than Serge.

I guess that's not the most positive way of putting it but ......

db

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

can get to the high balls, though does not always hold onto them.

that's what I noticed too, though I'm really only thinking of Canada vs spain, still he played well that game.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Juby

that's what I noticed too, though I'm really only thinking of Canada vs spain, still he played well that game.

In that game he got to everything he tried for, but often punched out strongly. That is okay I guess, at least he dominates the box in the air.

When he was being relegated with successive sides in Sweden the fans thought he was great behind terrible teams, so I imagine he was stopping a lot, and often in spectacular fashion, even though a lot was also going in. Being in bottom clubs so many years and relegating would normally be the nail in the coffin for a keeper, so if he went from there to Tromso that is a sign the scouts appreciated his quality over and above his clubs' results.

Bring on that Dutchmann ,oops I guess Dutch Canadian,the guy from Den Haag,my home town and the team that was relegated to the first division from the honour division.

The reports have been good and it is about time to have a little Dutch over here. Sorry guys, that blood line still.

I hope he comes and I am looking forward to interview him on my show,asap.

Looks like Djekanovic is going back to UBC

http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/sports_team_story.asp?id=17&storyid=1989

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Toronto FC’s Djekanovic eligible for 2007

VANCOUVER – Toronto FC goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic is eligible for the 2007 CIS season and will rejoin national championship host UBC during the Canada West season.

CIS schools recently ruled in favour of allowing Major League Soccer players to retain their university eligibility, making a once tough decision a win-win situation for the Belgrade-born Djekanovic.

“It took me a while to decide if I really wanted to give up the CIS eligibility and now it’s brilliant, I’ve got the best of both worlds,” said the 24-year-old Vancouver resident, who is 2-3-2 with a 1.28 goals against average and two shutouts for Toronto FC. “Coming back to UBC next year I’ll definitely be a better keeper and I’m looking forward to us hosting nationals and getting another shot at a CIS title.”

Djekanovic backstopped UBC to the 2005 CIS title and was named a CIS all-Canadian in 2006. He signed on with the Vancouver Whitecaps this spring before being transferred to Toronto, where he started in place of No. 1 Greg Sutton during the Gold Cup. An injury to Sutton opened the door for Djekanovic to play much more than expected.

“I was excited for the opportunity to come to Toronto knowing that Greg was going to play in the Gold Cup and I’d have the chance to step in for three or four games,” said Djekanovic. “I’ve played a lot more and it’s been a great experience playing in front of crazy sold out crowds. It’s a very European environment and it’s been great for my career.”

When Toronto faced Houston recently, Djekanovic also had the chance to chat with former UBC and Canada keeper Pat Onstad, who has won multiple CIS and MLS titles and is a two-time MLS goalkeeper of the year. The two exchanged well wishes and jerseys after the 0-0 draw.

UBC plays host to the eight-team CIS men's soccer championship from November 8-11 at Thunderbird Stadium.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

Looks like Djekanovic is going back to UBC

http://www.gothunderbirds.ca/sports_team_story.asp?id=17&storyid=1989

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Toronto FC’s Djekanovic eligible for 2007

VANCOUVER – Toronto FC goalkeeper Srdjan Djekanovic is eligible for the 2007 CIS season and will rejoin national championship host UBC during the Canada West season.

CIS schools recently ruled in favour of allowing Major League Soccer players to retain their university eligibility, making a once tough decision a win-win situation for the Belgrade-born Djekanovic.

“It took me a while to decide if I really wanted to give up the CIS eligibility and now it’s brilliant, I’ve got the best of both worlds,” said the 24-year-old Vancouver resident, who is 2-3-2 with a 1.28 goals against average and two shutouts for Toronto FC. “Coming back to UBC next year I’ll definitely be a better keeper and I’m looking forward to us hosting nationals and getting another shot at a CIS title.”

Djekanovic backstopped UBC to the 2005 CIS title and was named a CIS all-Canadian in 2006. He signed on with the Vancouver Whitecaps this spring before being transferred to Toronto, where he started in place of No. 1 Greg Sutton during the Gold Cup. An injury to Sutton opened the door for Djekanovic to play much more than expected.

“I was excited for the opportunity to come to Toronto knowing that Greg was going to play in the Gold Cup and I’d have the chance to step in for three or four games,” said Djekanovic. “I’ve played a lot more and it’s been a great experience playing in front of crazy sold out crowds. It’s a very European environment and it’s been great for my career.”

When Toronto faced Houston recently, Djekanovic also had the chance to chat with former UBC and Canada keeper Pat Onstad, who has won multiple CIS and MLS titles and is a two-time MLS goalkeeper of the year. The two exchanged well wishes and jerseys after the 0-0 draw.

UBC plays host to the eight-team CIS men's soccer championship from November 8-11 at Thunderbird Stadium.

I mentioned this here over a month ago, on the basis of what I heard from him.

The key I think is that it is only with the development player contract that he can retain eligibility, and as he wants to continue studying (and from what I understand has done some at a distance), it is an extra plus to be able to continue playing for UBC on top of that. Even though it only means maybe a half dozen games or a bit more, depending on whether TO is eliminated from playoffs or not.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

ADO technical director was astonished when asked about a possible loan for Wagenaar. I guess the rumour was not founded.

Like i said on BS, the McNulty article was just rehashing what had been said by Mo and seemed like speculation with the exception of "multiple sources" being cited. Wonder who those multiple sources were, cause i never saw anything in print outside of the Toronto media circles...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Like i said on BS, the McNulty article was just rehashing what had been said by Mo and seemed like speculation with the exception of "multiple sources" being cited. Wonder who those multiple sources were, cause i never saw anything in print outside of the Toronto media circles...

The weird thing is Mo saying Wagenaar is one of the keepers is interested in and ADO management not even aware of TFC interest....

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The weird thing is Mo saying Wagenaar is one of the keepers is interested in and ADO management not even aware of TFC interest....

But the thing is, Mo never made mention of any specific keeper. He might have made some comments on Monday to the regular media guys who follow the team part-time, but none of the guys i mulled it over with on Sunday had any clue who it would be either....

Heck, I'll translate it. That automated one was just too poor.

Tromsø IL and Major League Soccer club Toronto FC have agreed on the terms for a loan regarding [goalkeeper] Kenny [stamatopoulos].

Tromsø IL has received a formal offer which is in line with our requirements for a deal to happen. The only thing remaining is for Kenny to pass his mandatory medical before the deal is final. The agreement also includes an option to buy out Kenny from the remainder of his Tromsø contract to be exercised before 1. November 2007.

"Transfers to MLS are somewhat complicated and therefore it has taken us some time go get the last details finalized", says director of sports Morten Kræmer. "[Last night] at 22.15 we received the signed copy of the contract from MLS, so now everything is in order for Kenny to go [to Toronto]".

"The club would like to thank Kenny for his efforts so far, and wishes him the best of luck in MLS" says administrative director Tom Bendiksen.

kenny_reiser_til_toronto_medium.jpg

Caption: The image shows a happy Kenny signing the transfer papers [last night].

Archived