Sutton blasts CSA

Gian-Luca

Yeah, because national team doctors are infallable. Just ask Jason DeVos. This is absurd on Sutton's part IMO. Miami is not some obscure third world country with questionable medical practitioners and facilites. He was mis diagnosed. It is most unfortunate, but it happens from time to time. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Nevetheless, having a team Doctor isn't a bad idea, even if won't solve every injury problem that comes up. Given the situation I don't blame them too much for making this suggestion. Mo's comment that he'll be more cautious in the future in releasing players for national team duty is, IMO, just frustrated talk. Either you release a player or you don't, there's very little discretion for "caution", and you often don't have much choice in the matter (leaving aside the issue of how bad it would look for TFC as an organization to start refusing call-ups to the National team given that the team was put into place by the CSA primarily for that purpose).

Nevetheless, having a team Doctor isn't a bad idea, even if won't solve every injury problem that comes up. Given the situation I don't blame them too much for making this suggestion. Mo's comment that he'll be more cautious in the future in releasing players for national team duty is, IMO, just frustrated talk. Either you release a player or you don't, there's very little discretion for "caution", and you often don't have much choice in the matter (leaving aside the issue of how bad it would look for TFC as an organization to start refusing call-ups to the National team given that the team was put into place by the CSA primarily for that purpose).

Johnson is talking crap, he knows naught about the doctor who treated Sutton nor if things would have been different had a MNT doctor been in employ during the WC.

As to releasing players for NT duty, none of his fu'king business. That's between the CSA, FIFA and the player called. He needs affordable quality Canadians otherwise he has to accept losing seasons. End of story. His leverage with any half-decent Canadian, the sort who might get a NT call, is limited.

Now that I got that off my chest, I don't think that's what Mo is on about. If the CSA can't afford a team doctor to see to the multi-million dollar investments that they are borrowing from club teams (the players), I can understand why managers would find another reason to pressure their lads into not commiting to NT duty and why players would take a negative view of the seriousness the CSA applies to the senior programs.

Team doctor? Can't afford it? That's too bad. Call me when you can.

During the post-game press conference today Paul James asked Mo about the training habits of Canadian players. Mo mentioned that the U20's returning from the WYC needed to come back up to speed on the intensity of training and that it seems to be a stereotype that Canadian players are lackadaisacal(sic?) in their training habits.

He also said the quality of the Canadian players on the roster is "average", and i don't think it was intended as a compliment.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

From Linford's response, I Gotta wonder, Does this guy even have a clue what the roles and responsibilities of a President or CEO are?

Linford and his group of self-seeking inepts are not leaders. They are ass savers (their own).

How about Sutton takes some responsibility for himself?

I've had a concussion before, and believe me... you know when you're ready to go again.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Linford and his group of self-seeking inepts are not leaders. They are ass savers (their own).

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

How about Sutton takes some responsibility for himself?

I've had a concussion before, and believe me... you know when you're ready to go again.

Sutton is not qualified to take that responsibility by himself. Your case on the other hand may be an exception.

I applaud Mo for speaking the truth and calling out the CSA for being a half assed operation. Any wonder why players dont want suit up for this country. How do you send a squad of professionals, earning large money, to a tournament and not send a doctor with the team.

Having a doctor on staff doesn't guarantee that Sutton would not be on the shelf for the whole year but it sends the message that we are not a 3rd world country. Wanna bet that Guadelupe sent a doctor with their team?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

He also said the quality of the Canadian players on the roster is "average", and i don't think it was intended as a compliment.

I'd like to know what the context of that statement was given - was it in response to a direct question on the point? If it was mentioned as an aside, which is how it comes across in your report, then it seems to me to be an unnecessary shot at the Canadian players after a loss, given that, while the entire team was poor yesterday (including Mo with no game plan to shut down Blanco), the four worst offenders were two American, one Brit & one player from T&T.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

How do you send a squad of professionals, earning large money, to a tournament and not send a doctor with the team.

Having a doctor on staff doesn't guarantee that Sutton would not be on the shelf for the whole year but it sends the message that we are not a 3rd world country. Wanna bet that Guadelupe sent a doctor with their team?

According to the CONCACAF site, not all countries brought a team

doctor. The following didn't: Canada, Panama, Haiti, Trinidad &

Tobago, and Honduras.

Mexico brought two. Would it have been a good idea to have brought

one? Probably.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'd like to know what the context of that statement was given - was it in response to a direct question on the point? If it was mentioned as an aside, which is how it comes across in your report, then it seems to me to be an unnecessary shot at the Canadian players after a loss, given that, while the entire team was poor yesterday (including Mo with no game plan to shut down Blanco), the four worst offenders were two American, one Brit & one player from T&T.

It was a direct question by Paul James

Q: "Overall how would you assess the quality of the Canadian players on the roster?"

A: "Very Average"

Mo did call out some of the other guys, Samuel and Andy Welsh most noteably...but what i wrote was in the context of Mo crying about the CSA and the rules handicapping him as was written in the McNulty article in the Toronto Sun.

Guest Jeffery S.

If you pay worse than average, you will get at least that. Pay better and you might get better quality.

Mind you, having watched last night KC-Chivas, which was a pretty good quality game, with some intelligent ball play and creativity, I have to say that TFC is pretty mediocre in comparison. Mo is a pretty average coach I think, and questionable decisions give TFC worse results, since even playing a mediocre style they can get results if they defend tighter.

Incidentally, I seem to recall very strongly Gerry Dobson indicating in one of the telecasts (for the Haiti game?) that Sutton got hit in the head in the warm-up to the Guadeloupe game accidentally by a ball-boy & that re-aggravated the injury. In which case the diagnosis by the Miami Doctor might have been correct at the time. That's a point that seems to have forgotten in these articles & in Mo Johnston's whining about & threats to the CSA in the media.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The CSA in the past had a doctor for the national team. For example, Dr. Sanjay Gupta was the team doctor for the 2006 WCQ. Ed Johnson was the doctor for the friendly against Portugal in 2005. There was a doctor for the Jamaica game in September. There really is no excuse not to have a doctor for a national team game.

So this means the famous CNN doctor Dr. Sanjay Gupta was the guy who misdiagnosed Jason DeVos?

Guest Jeffery S.

Instead of saying having a doctor there would have saved Sutton's season or slagging the team doctors for the De Vos case I think we should get some perspective.

I recall Jazic being called for a camp or friendly from Rapid Vienna and the team doctors doing a correct diagnosis on some problem he had in his back, vertebra perhaps. And Jazic openly praised the Canadian team medical staff for seeing something in a day that the Viennese physicians had not seen in months.

Yeah, I recall that as well. It shows that physicians can perform well or make mistakes too. We don't really know from what we've that one was even made in this case, given that story of the second knock that Sutton took that was told during the Gold Cup tourney.

Still think this is another conspiracy theory, as I was very quickly told after making a (correct, as it turns out)guess about CSA's role and silence over the matter? I can't think of who I like better - conspiracy accussors or CSA apologists?

so much for the honeymoon between the CSA and Toronto FC.

didnt Saputo and the Impact contribute 5 players to the previous gold cup?

Saputo was more than pleased to send those players at the CSA request almost the same players that was sent by TFC.

I beleive that Gervais was injured during training practice too did not hear the Impact complaining about it.

looks like the W-league whitecaps and the fury did sacrifice the w-league title race by supplying key players to the Pan am games.

USl teams are more eager to help the national team cause than Mo Johnson and TFC.

Archived