Canadians abroad: July 27 - August 2, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Since soccerTV.com no longer serves Canada, I will no longer be compiling a "Canadians abroad on TV this week" list.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 27 - August 2, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After not playing in the first Danish league match, and coming off the bench in the second, Atiba Hutchinson has started today for FCK against Viborg. Atiba scored the first goal in the first half and at halftime it is 2-0 for FCK.

The match ended 3-1 for FCK.

In Norway's top flight, Olivier Occean played 90 minutes for Lillestrom who played to a 1-1 draw at home to Odd Grenland.

At halftime, Rosenborg trail Tromso 2-0, with Lars in net for Rosenborg. Kenny Stamatopolous started on the bench for Tromso.

Edit: Match ends 2-1.

In Holland there were 2 Canadians on the scoresheet today.

Jonathan de Guzman scored for Feyenoord in a 3-2 win over first division side Emmen and....

Will Johnson scored 2 goals for De Graafschap in a 5-0 win over an amateur team.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Serioux starts for FC Dallas against Pachuca in Superliga. Currently on FSWC.

Serioux played 90 minutes in the match, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Meanwhile, LA Galaxy have kicked off against Chivas (the real one, not Chivas USA) with Ante Jazic starting. Kevin Harmse is dressed for the first time in a few weeks, but he is starting on the bench alongside somebody named Beckham.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

The Belgian Super Cup (Anderlecht vs Club Brugge) will be available later at fbtz. Klukowski started for Club Brugge.

Klukowski did indeed start and, I think, finish the match in what turned out to be a 3-1 loss to RSC Anderlecht who were 2006/07 league champions.

McKenna was in action today as 1. FC Köln hosted Spanish side Valladolid in a friendly. He started in central defense and played the whole match which ended in a 2-2 draw.

Tottenham Hotspur won the Vodacom Challenge tournament in South Africa with a 3-0 win over Orlando Pirates. Paul Stalteri started at left back and played 90 minutes.

I haven't found a lineup yet, but I imagine Richard Hastings was involved in Inverness' 2-1 friendly victory over Ross County.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Serioux played 90 minutes in the match, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Meanwhile, LA Galaxy have kicked off against Chivas (the real one, not Chivas USA) with Ante Jazic starting. Kevin Harmse is dressed for the first time in a few weeks, but he is starting on the bench alongside somebody named Beckham.

I didn't think Serioux and the other three defenders had a good match, especially in the second half when their opponents seemed to be able to outflank and cross far too often. Also, Serioux's rash challenge late in the match conceded the game tying penalty. Quite the end to end affair in the final few minutes, as both defences looked pretty suspect.

In the other match, Jazic was quite active down the left side for the Galaxy, supplying a number of crosses. Harmse came on in the 65th minute, played in front of the back four, generally gave his team no offensive tactical nous but did decent tracking/marking of the Chivas' mids, and that's about it.

Great game for Jazic I thought. Really got up the left side well and Chivas created nothing on that wing. All of their best attacks came from going after the Galaxy RB (Roberts?) who has dreadful. Just awful! The injury to Albright is really hurting them. Jazic really looks confident and seems to have a good raport with Donavan. I'd like to see him try to take on a defender every once in a while though. Don't just settle for the cross.

It was Harmse's first action in a while so I don't want to judge him on it but it wasn't the greatest. He was the invisible man out there as he has been in most of the games I've seen him play. I don't know what his prospects for playing time will be like in the near future. With Beckham playing in central midfield, probably behind Donavan and Pavon, Harmse will either be the guy winning the ball for Becks...or sitting on the bench.

The tackle by Serioux that lead to the penalty is exactly why I am worried about him playing CB. Sure the attacker helped it along, but Adrian lunged in so forcefully that any ref was going to call it. He has composure on the ball but defesively he just doesn't understand the position. Maybe he will learn it better over time, but I don't think he will be an international calibre CB.

I'm really enjoying the Superliga for the simple fact that it is allowing me to watch these Canadians play against some different CONCACAF opposition. I look forward to watching Dero and Houston today. They really looked good in their first game against Club America.

Guest Can. in UK

David Edgar is picking up some valuable minutes against Juventus (started the second half). To be honest, he's made a couple mistakes but Juve haven't scored yet. Good to see him out there nonetheless.

The lack of positional discipline is Serioux's albatross, even as a defensive midfielder, let alone as a centre back. I was really impressed with our MNT's defensive discipline in avoiding needless fouls and yellow cards at the GC and that is an area where Serioux really needs to improve in order to be considered a starter for the MNT.

Harmse will be in competition with Kelly Gray for the d-mid role and after reading the bigsoccer.com Galaxy forum those fans would like to see him in that spot instead of Gray. However, in order to convince me that he can take his game to (cliche alert) "the next level," he has to be more assertive offensively: he should be wanting, even demanding, the ball from his back four and then distributing in a tidy fashion, giving the Galaxy a build up rhythm. Right now, as was also demonstrated in the Venezuela game, he is a non factor in the passing build up from the back, not really looking like he wants the ball and often seen by his teammates as a final pass receiving option. Whether or not that is due to Yallop's tactics is unknown, but there is a confidence factor in his play which he doesn't seem to have, and I can't dismiss it by saying he's still recovering from injury. On the positive side, he shows snippets of things that really impress: on one play, he took the ball and accelerated towards the PA, catching the Chivas markers by surprise with his speed. But then, just as it looked like he could generate something (quick pass inside, shot, continue dribbling and/or possibly draw a foul, etc) very close to the PA, Harmse chose to diagonally back pass to Jazic, the Galaxy left back being some 40+ yards away on the flank. I wish he had just kept dribbling it. If he can find that self belief in his play, he will really develop his game.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

The lack of positional discipline is Serioux's albatross, even as a defensive midfielder, let alone as a centre back. I was really impressed with our MNT's defensive discipline in avoiding needless fouls and yellow cards at the GC and that is an area where Serioux really needs to improve in order to be considered a starter for the MNT.

if serioux becomes a 'disciplined' player he will likely lose his best trait, tough and aggressive marking, which is why he is a standout player. i dont think we can have it both ways with him, and i wouldnt want him to turn into an invisible harmse-type of player. just gotta throw him out there and hope for the best.

Guest Jeffery S.

Issey played 90 as FC Nordsjælland fell at home to Lyngby 0-1 in Danish league action.

Tyler Hughes played 90 at left back as Östers got only their third win in 15 matches in Sweden's Superettan, 3-0 over IF Sylvia, enough to take them out of the basement and tied for the last relegation spot.

Felix Brillian was subbed in last minute to preserve FK Sparta Sarpsborg's away win over Tromsdalen, 0-2. The 2nd tier Norway team is lower table, suffering especially from a bad home record.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

if serioux becomes a 'disciplined' player he will likely lose his best trait, tough and aggressive marking, which is why he is a standout player. i dont think we can have it both ways with him, and i wouldnt want him to turn into an invisible harmse-type of player. just gotta throw him out there and hope for the best.

Well he'll need to have it "both ways" or he won't be playing. I'm sure his gaffer Morrow wasn't too thrilled with that challenge inside the box.

quote:Originally posted by rednwhite

Kenny Stamatopoulos is on his way to Toronto on loan until December, only minor details to negotiate over. The deal also includes an option for Toronto to buy Kenny after the period has ended.

http://www.itromso.no/sport/article99760.ece

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article2901905.ece

a few hours later...

Tromsø has not heard anything from Toronto yet, but Tromsø is not saying that the deal won't go through.

http://fotball.itromso.no/eliteserien/article86554.ece

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Where's Ali Gerba?

If he's not with Goteborg (where you are posting from) that's a good question. I know a lot of TFC fans would like to see him loaned to Toronto, given our current striker crisis for at least the next month.

Archived