WWC China 2007

The Ref

Are there any games planned for Canada between now and their departure to China in August? I see coach Birarda of the Whitecaps will be traveling to China with the team in August. Their first game is not until September 12 I believe.

Hmm, I think the women need a game more than the men do. There is one month to the WC in China and we are already qualified. The men's WC is not until 2010 and we are not qualified as yet. So how come the CSA arranges a men game with Costa Rica on short notice for September 12th. Must be the male chauvinist side of the CSA presidente.

The Costa Rica game has been known for months. WCQ for the men starts next summer. If you think starting to prepare now isn't important, than you are a dumbass.

Your hatred makes you blind and stupid.

By the way, I am in favour of the Women having at least one more friendly leading up to the WWC.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

The Costa Rica game has been known for months. WCQ for the men starts next summer. If you think starting to prepare now isn't important, than you are a dumbass.

Your hatred makes you blind and stupid.

By the way, I am in favour of the Women having at least one more friendly leading up to the WWC.

^ What he said ^

Brazil is back in women's soccer

By Philip Hersh - Chicago Tribune

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/

RIO DE JANEIRO -- I have been to four men's World Cups and two Women's World Cups, and I never have experienced an atmosphere more electric than that in Maracana Stadium for the Pan Am Games women's soccer final Thursday.

A near sellout crowd of 75,000 in this historic temple of soccer -- nearly all wearing yellow Brazil soccer jerseys -- roared as loudly as they would have had for their beloved men's team. With 10 minutes left in a 5-0 win over the United States, they began repeatedly chanting, "We are champions."

Indeed they were, having outscored five opponents 33-0 in the tournament.

"Nobody would think this could happen for the women. This is a great thing," said one of the fans, Oscar Schmidt, star of the Brazil basketball teams that tormented the United States in the 1987 Pan Am Games.

The crowd hardly cared that this was an obvious mismatch -- a Brazil team with many of the players who lost the 2004 Olympic gold in overtime to the last of the legendary Hamm-Foudy teams against the U.S. Under-20 team.

The disdain Brazil had shown for its young, talented Olympic silver medalists was shameful. The women's national team program virtually ceased to exist over the past three years.

The Brazil soccer federation hired Jorge Barcellos to coach the team at The Pan Am Games and, likely, the September World Cup in China, where they will join the senior U.S. team as a favorite.

"It takes a spark to catch national interest, and this could be the spark -- it should be -- for Brazil's women," said Rhian Wilkinson, a member of Canada's bronze-medal team, which lost to Brazil 7-0 in the preliminary round.

The U.S. teenagers who were overwhelmed Thursday can look back with pride at taking one for the sport if this experience leads Brazil soccer officials to give their women players the respect they deserve.

Archived