Roster for Iceland...

Can we guess for other positions as well?

I wouldn't be surprised in OO got the call for this game, seeing as Friend is with a new team Gerba is...uhh... with IFK (I guess) and OO seems to be in pretty good form.

I don't expect Radz to be called, so perhaps Peters. Simpson is injured again so he's out. I bet Humey will be there, Hutch too.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I don't expect Radz to be called,

I would tend to agree with you...However...He turned us down to concentrate on getting a club but now it's gotten to the point where I could see him invited precisely BECAUSE he doesn't have a club. It sounds to me like he's getting no love on the open market and may want to remind people that he is still an international starter...we have dressed a lot of unattached players over the years in part to showcase them...so why not Radz?

I don't expect to see any of the U-20 players, because they aren't good enough. Right Coach?

With Lars turning us down so often, it bothers me that he could still get consideration now that WCQ is near. I'm all for the best team on the field, however he really hasn't committed to this team.

I'd like to see Radz there, I think he has a role to play in this round of WCQ, plus if it helps him get a club, I'm all for it. I think that we'll end up seeing a very similar squad that played in the Gold Cup, with a few changes for injuries.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

With Lars turning us down so often, it bothers me that he could still get consideration now that WCQ is near. I'm all for the best team on the field, however he really hasn't committed to this team.

I think this is the last chance for Lars to show some commitment to this team. With Sutton out for the season and Wagenaar still injured (he hasn't participated in ADO pre-season yet) I would expect Lars and Kenny S. to be call.

I think we could see Peters and Johnson from our U-20's.

Guest Jeffery S.

I reported on Canucks Abroad for this week that the Depor site confirms Julian has been called up.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Any word on the MLS situation?

TFC and LA are playing on August 18, Houston on the 19, then LA is playing on the 23.

I don't think there will be that much problems getting players in those teams.

This is Mitchell first game, expect him to call his best players. After the U-20's debacle, he can't afford to loose against Iceland (even if they're a bit underrated).

I think we need to call our GC midfield including DeRosario. Onstad might be called too due to our keepers injuries and half commitment. Brennan should be there and in Toronto as well against CR. Jazic will be call as he always is.

I'm at least expecting 3 or 4 MLS players on this squad.

Agree about Ledgerwood, would be nice to see him getting his first senior cap.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

This is Mitchell first game, expect him to call his best players. After the U-20's debacle, he can't afford to loose against Iceland (even if they're a bit underrated).

This is Canadian soccer we're talking about. Conventional logic goes out the window.

Well I can see DeRo getting called, but wouldn't be surprised if he's the only MLS player to be called. Brennan & Jazic I'm less certain about, especially both of them at the same time. Where do you play them all, particularly if DeRo plays on the left side of midfield? Also it would make more sense to me to fly Klukowski from Belgium to Iceland for a friendly then fly Jazic from LA to Iceland and take a look at Ante in the match in Toronto in September.

If I guessed at an 18-man roster, it would be: Hirshfeld, Begovic, Klukowski, Hainault, Hastings, McKenna, Stalteri, Ledgerwood, DeRo, DeGuzman, Hutchinson, Imhof, Bernier, Friend, Hume, Occean (who appears be playing regularly whereas Gerba is not at the moment), two of Peters, Radzinski & Johnson. Some may feel that the U20 players do not deserve a spot, but I think Mitchell thinks highly of the three in question, and Begovic probably wouldn't play. If Josh Simpson were healthy I'd put him there instead of one of the kids.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

he can't afford to loose against Iceland (even if they're a bit underrated).

I noticed this too, when I get each new fifa game (I know fifa games are not good indicators of accurate strength of squads) I reorganize it to create all national teams so I can put Canada in a world cup, I noticed that there are alot of Icelanders besides gudjohnnsen (I think I butchered the spelling) in top leagues, it would be unwise to underestimate them, however it is a game we should win.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

I noticed this too, when I get each new fifa game (I know fifa games are not good indicators of accurate strength of squads) I reorganize it to create all national teams so I can put Canada in a world cup, I noticed that there are alot of Icelanders besides gudjohnnsen (I think I butchered the spelling) in top leagues, it would be unwise to underestimate them, however it is a game we should win.

For a country of 300 K they have real quality.

Yeeeesh.

Tough to guess at a roster. Really is. This match falls at a horrible time of the year and with some player movement (on our part) to new clubs, change of circumstance at existing clubs (lots of money being thrown around White Hart Lane these days) and MLS not scheduling for international breaks there are a lot of 1st and 2nd team players who might want to skip playing Iceland.

Would agree that Mitch would like to continue the positive mommentum of the Gold Cup but I don't know if it's possible without our "A" squad. Ask anyone in UEFA, Iceland can be a bitch at home.

Suttons out. This match might be a good test of Lars' intentions. Of course we know Pat won't say no.

I'm of the thinking that the Iceland and CR games may prove to be two developmental-style rosters with only half a dozen of the same players on both rosters. For a number of reasons already mentioned, we are not going to get our best rosters on either date, so why not use them as two seperate "screening" dates, mostly to confirm what Hart has said and done, but with Mitchell's own hand in the pot.

Onstad and Stamatopoulos will be the ones called.

They have invested in a plan for 3 and a half years to keep Lars out of any contention to the MNT starting goalkeeper, and a plan for 2 and a half years to keep Lars out of being any part of the MNT in favor of inferiors like Sutton, Stamatopoulous, Onstead, and others. There is no reason to abandon the conspiracy plan that they have set in place so long ago, and worked for years now to mantain, just because a couple of guys are hurt. That would be a waste to all they have worked for.

quote:Originally posted by wildguy27

Onstad and Stamatopoulos will be the ones called.

They have invested in a plan for 3 and a half years to keep Lars out of any contention to the MNT starting goalkeeper, and a plan for 2 and a half years to keep Lars out of being any part of the MNT in favor of inferiors like Sutton, Stamatopoulous, Onstead, and others. There is no reason to abandon the conspiracy plan that they have set in place so long ago, and worked for years now to mantain, just because a couple of guys are hurt. That would be a waste to all they have worked for.

How much of a "plan" would be required of the CSA to keep Lars out of the roster? All they'd have to do is not call him, ever. That's it. No more, no less.

Obviously, this is not the case, as he has been called recently, so can you please STFU with your conspiracy crap?

He was called to be the starter exactly once in the last 2 and a half years while healthy, and that was coincidentaly for the most lowly friendly of all against a country the goalkeeper only has to stand around and watch for.

Say whatever you want. I said 3 and a half years ago the plan was in place for him to never be the MNT starter again in favor of inferior individuals. People laughed, 3 and a half years later I am still right. I said 2 and a half years ago the plan was for him to be excluded from the MNT altogether in favor of inferior individuals. People laughed, 2 and a half years later I am still right. It is amazing how I coincidentaly continue to be right, and others keep expecting it to change, yet it never does. It is not my fault I am the only one who "gets it".

My logic certainly makes more sense then certain individuals saying he is showing he is "not interested" in the MNT. If the CSA is not interested in him it does not matter if he were interested in them or not. He should not be blamed for the CSAs stronger preference of inferior individuals like Onstad, Sutton, Stamatopolous. His exclusion is their fault not his, yet some individuals here still mysteriously blame him for the CSAs choice to exclude him in favor of mediocrity for many years. Should he feel guilty for turning down 2 times while injured, and 1 other time expected to miss 3 weeks with his struggling team to be a backup goalkeeper. ROTFL!

wow, how stupid is that, CSA conspiracy theories, I don't think anybody in the CSA cares enough to concoct a conspiracy. hasn't he turned downed call ups cause he thinks he'll be the backup? maybe if he was the backup a couple times he'd get his chance, god forbid anyone show a little commitment, it's just like any job, do some bitchwork and show a good attitude while you do it and you'll get promoted, this isn't greatin rocket science.

Yes he should waste his time being a backup to CSA pets of inferior ability like Stamatopolous and Sutton, who were mysteriously pushed above him in the pecking order 2-3 years ago out of nowhere for no apparent reason. That makes alot of sense.

How stupid is that, that everything I said 3 and a half years ago, and 2 and half years ago, has panned out so far. Yeah real stupid coincidence.

uhhh, how is it a waste of time, do some dirt and you'll get promoted, have you never gotten a promotion wildguy(have you ever had a job?)? he's turning down offers and he got a cap, doesn't look like anything you said panned out, just looks like he thinks his **** doesn't stink.

Yes it is logical he should have to wait to be promoted back over people in no way superior, who were never over him in the first place, like Sutton and Stamatopolous, who mysteriously were pushed over him on the pecking order out of nowhere in 2005, for no apparent or explanatory reason other then being CSA pets. Any person with an ounce of pride would just roll with the punchs, right?

He is not turning down offers. He is not getting offers. Out of Canada's last 11 friendlies/tournaments he has been offered to start at only 1 of the 9 while healthy. That only request in the last 28 months to start a game for Canada while healthy mysteriously against a Bermuda team the goalkeeper only has to stand and watch the game (which he accepted and went to). Mysteriously though he is offered to start BOTH times he is "injured", instead of the many other times he is healthy, where the same offer is somehow not extended any of those many times the way it was the two times he was "injured". Asked to start vs Luxemburg in November of 2005 when it is known he is injured. However then while he is healthy at the time of the next 4 friendlies vs the U.S, Austria, Jamaica, Jamaica again, mysteriously not a request to play any of them, unlike the friendly before when those 4 when he was "injured". However when he is "injured" again at the time of the Hungary friendly, he receives his first request to play since the last time he was "injured". Certaintly a strange coincidence.

Indeed everything I said panned out. Start of 2004 I say he wont ever again be allowed to be the MNT starter, in favor of inferior individuals. 3 and half years later, check. Start of 2005 say he will be removed from the MNT picture altogether in favor of inferior individuals. 2 and a half years later, check. Nuff said.

It is funny an individual would say they dont like me talking about this but it is only because of responses that I do. I only stated my opinion and others choose to respond. If you respond to me I am going to say exactly what I think. If you dont want to hear it then dont try and start a conversation about it, but if you do I will defend my opinion with interest. Someone like Rudy complaining about my "conspiracy theory" chooses to start conversion on it anyway by responding to my opinion.

Archived