canada vs usa

cndsoccer

From The Star online recap of the PanAm games today:

There was also disappointment for the Canadian women’s soccer team, who lost 2-1 to the U.S., in the semifinals. Kara Lang of Oakville, Ont., scored the lone goal for the Canadians, who will play Mexico for bronze Thursday.

Ok, first a 7-0 thrashing at the hands of Brasil and now this. Gimme a break, this team needs a change pronto! Get Pellerud out of there since he's worn out his welcome. The players are either not responding to him, his coaching or his workout regimen anymore. He was a good wakeup call for us when he first came on board, but now it's readily apparent that his lack of technical training/coaching (and this also applies to Bridge) is killing the development of skill in this countries women. Norwegian long ball might have won the 1995 WC, but it ain't going to get the job these days. Get him out and bring someone in who'll teach skill development, short passing, ball possession etc.

And no, it has nothing to do with "lack of prep." this team has been together since January and has had plenty of time to gel and train. Their fitness should be second to none and they should know each other like a club team. They've had games against China, USA and Brasil (that's 3 solid teams for those counting "top 9" teams - and i don't care if China isn't ranked in the Top 9, they're still a solid team ) and have gotten beat down worse and worse each time. Plus games against New Zealand, Uruguay, Ecuador etc. and guess what that ain't a bad prep regime compared to what the men get. So enough excuses for Pellerud, he needs to go now before we crash out of the WC.

maybe mitchell can give him some tips,like maybe the kick and run style that worked so well for the u 20s..

now that i think about,thats the same style the women use.

time to clean house,all the coaches must go.

we need a new direction!!!!

So I guess they are a happy bunch though. That's what counts. The residency program led to the trashing of 3 class athletes but brought the team together in prep for the WC.

Looks like the WC run up wasn't what they expected though, with a huge loss to Brazil and a loss to a US 'C' or 'D' team.

Pellerud isn't likely to go anywhere soon. He has a contract with the CSA through to the end of the 2008 Olympics.

Any bets on whether we get through the first round in China at the WWC? With a group comprised of Norway, Australia and Ghana, one would expect it to be tough to qualify for the knockout stages.

I don't fancy our chances against Norway, Australia will be a good test, and Ghana is obviously an unknown.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Pellerud isn't likely to go anywhere soon. He has a contract with the CSA through to the end of the 2008 Olympics.

Any bets on whether we get through the first round in China at the WWC? With a group comprised of Norway, Australia and Ghana, one would expect it to be tough to qualify for the knockout stages.

I don't fancy our chances against Norway, Australia will be a good test, and Ghana is obviously an unknown.

I was actually wondering about the length of his contract, thanks for the info.

p.s. fat chance he gets fired now, he's probably pulling in well over 100K :rollseyes:

Archived