Nery Castillo = De Guzman/De Jong?

leaf12

The aftermath in Holland if De Guzman decides to play for Canada? (or Marcel De Jong)

After watching a little Copa America, the story of Nery Castillo got me thinking about our current predicament. Nery was born in Mexico to Uruguayan parents. His father was playing professional soccer in Mexico on a two year contract before moving his family to Artigas, a suburb of Montevideo.

As a teenager, Nery had become a standout soccer player and was courted by top clubs (ex. Manchester United). Due to passport problems, Nery was unable to suit up for the Red Devils or any other EPL team. His father shifted his attention to Greek powerhouse Olympiacos and Nery signed a contract at the tender age of 16.

Nery, now 23, having spent 7 years with Olympiacos is fluent in Greek, and engaged to a locale woman who is carrying his baby.

The similarity in the two situations is that Nery, like De Guzman, had refused invites to both Uruguay and Mexico as a late teen to focus on his professional career. Once Nery became eligible for Greek citizenship, Greek Head Coach Otto Rehhagel came calling. Rumours had surfaced stating Nery’s preference to play for the Greek side because they were offering him (reportedly) one million dollars along with benefits to play. However, in a twist, before the New Year, Nery pledged his allegiances to the Mexican team.

After hearing this story, I was curious to know how the Greeks have reacted. I finally came across a Greek football site that had a thread about him. It seems there is a little resentment for the guy. It’s almost a dead issue now but from their point-of-view, they feel they taught the kid how to play, he’s fluent in Greek, marrying a locale, and he should have pledged his allegiances with the Greek side.

Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on De Guzman if he decides to play for the Dutch. It's almost like the Devil's advocate here seeing the other side to the story (Greek's reaction).

Here's a link: http://www.greeksoccer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235049398&st=0

Actually, most Greeks did not want him to play for the Greek NT since he is not Greek. It's like the English who didn't want Hargreaves because they didn't consider him English. Although, I'm sure nobody would mind if Nery was scoring goals for the Greek NT.

Besides, I'm sure after the Copa America performance, Nery will be leaving Greece soon.

The thing with Nery and Mexico is he only lived there for 2 years before his family moved to Uruguay. The only reason to choose Mexico over Uruguay is because Mexico is basically guaranteed a WC spot. Hopefully that's not the criteria the 2De's (the voices in my head said that was creative) use to decide.

I've maintained that De Guzman was in Holland from the age of twelve, he is very much allowed to feel Dutch. As long as he doesn't trumpet the old "they weren't interested in me" crap about the CSA.

I have a friend from Toronto who moved there from Korea when he was thirteen. He says proudly that he is Canadian. If De Guzman chooses Holland because he's been there for almost half his life, then I'm disappointed but ok with that. If he chooses it because it will help him get more money, or because he's bitter at the CSA, then shame on him.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I've maintained that De Guzman was in Holland from the age of twelve, he is very much allowed to feel Dutch. As long as he doesn't trumpet the old "they weren't interested in me" crap about the CSA.

I have a friend from Toronto who moved there from Korea when he was thirteen. He says proudly that he is Canadian. If De Guzman chooses Holland because he's been there for almost half his life, then I'm disappointed but ok with that. If he chooses it because it will help him get more money, or because he's bitter at the CSA, then shame on him.

I think the interesting question will come if Jonathan hasn't declared either way by the time he moves on to a bigger team in a different country (and it will happen, if he ends up being a Feyenoord lifer, I wouldn't be that disappointed if we can't land him). After 12 or 13 years in Canada, 6 or 7 in Holland and then say, a year or two in Spain, does his Dutch experience have the same influence on his choice?

But like you said, it could well come down to pure opportunism in which case we don't stand much of a chance.

I wonder some times about the time he spent in Holland. It keeps coming up that he went over when he was 12 but how much time did he really spend there the 1st couple of years?

Just curious because those are important years for a young fellow. Very important years and they can really put a stamp on who that person is going to be when later on they grow into their man body.

No one can tell me that The Guz 2.0 didn't feel like an alien that 1st year. Maybe the 1st couple of years. And if he spent 6 months abroad and 6 months at home (at least at 1st) the Dutch influence may not be as strong as all that.

I'm not saying the Dutch influence isn't strong. I just saying I think it may not be as unbeatable a consideration as some here would give it credit for.

A key factor I think is does he consider himself a proud dutchman? Even if he was somewhat molded by the dutch doesn't mean he feels like he's dutch or he burns with pride at the idea of being dutch. If he plays for the dutch, clearly he's not a proud canadian (because proud canadians play for canada, there's no question of what country you will represent if your actually proud to be canadian and either you understand this or you don't) but if he plays for the dutch and doesn't consider himself a proud dutchman then it just reflects poorly on his charecter.

edit: a dead giveaway for whether he is proud to be dutch (should he play for them, is where he'll end up living after he's done with professional soccer, if he winds up back here, clearly he wasn't proud to be dutch.

Archived