An update on De Jong and Street?

torontofc

Dejong played official matches for Canada and friendlies for the Dutch correct? Does this mean that he has to declare for Holland or for Canada? What I mean is if he doesn't make the application before his birthday is he cap tied to us or them?

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Dejong played official matches for Canada and friendlies for the Dutch correct? Does this mean that he has to declare for Holland or for Canada? What I mean is if he doesn't make the application before his birthday is he cap tied to us or them?

I think he gets to choose what country he'll potentially want to play with from here on end, no matter if he has been capped by us or not.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

If he wishes to represent Holland he will have to submit the proper paperwork prior to his 21st bday this October. As he is currently cap-tied to Canada - thanks to playing official youth games - he will be considered Canadian if he does nothing.

Marcel de Jong will pick Canada. As a Dutchman I can say he has got 3% chance of making it huge with the Dutch National Team. Especially when you consider his competition is Royston Drenthe and Urby Emanuelson.

De Jong is a decent player though. Could do very well for Canada.

Archived