Swangard stadium setup.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Just because it is not my responsibility to clean up does not excuse the bad behaviour or mean that I should automatically condone it or even not speak out about it. Boorish, irresponsible behavior by others spoils my game experience and I am not alone. It is quite possible to have plenty of fun and to enjoy the game just as well without leaving the place looking like a garbage tip.

So ridiculous and unreasonable. Get the stick out of your arse and relax.

Richard, what you find to be "Boorish, irresponsible behavior [sic]" is perfectly acceptable behaviour for most people at Swangard. Your opinion is highly subjective, and is just that - an opinion.

You admitted drinking beer at games - that act is surely "Boorish, irresponsible behavior [sic]" to some people, albeit for a very small minority. The difference is that they don't attempt to attack you with their subjective personal moral judgments.

Come down from the ivory tower and live a little. We're not throwing garbage around Kingsway.

If the Whitecaps don't like the cups being tossed, they can halt beer sales. Why don't you suggest it to the club, and see what they say in return?

I have never pretended my views about southside litterers to be anything but an opinion, but it is one shared by many people.

If you're happy to throw garbage around Swangard, why not Kingsway or your mother's livingroom as well - it has absolutely nothing to do with ivory towers?

Oh, and you really ought to check your facts when you make statements about what I have said, you have got some of it so wrong. All you needed to do was scroll back up the thread to get it right but evidently you're even too lazy to do that, never mind take care of your own garbage.

Clearly this is an issue of personal values and upbringing which mitigates against us ever agreeing on the subject.

You claim you're not in an ivory tower, and then insinuate that I've had a questionable upbringing? I hope you appreciate the concept of irony, Richard. Simply laughable.

I think that you're having a difficult time differentiating between the beer cup toss and genuine littering. You say that we're "happy to throw garbage around Swangard" - have we ever thrown garbage ANYWHERE in Swangard Stadium, other than onto the six or seven yards of grass that separate the Southside fence and the field of play? Even in the actual Southside (where we all stand), I've never seen a scrap of garbage. And on the six or seven yards of grass between us and the pitch, I rarely see anything other than beer cups. When people buy food from the concession, they put their garbage into a garbage can.

Oh, and back to my personal values and upbringing. I never litter. I always put garbage into the appropriate receptacle. The beer cup toss is different, but you're failing to understand this, Richard. Many professional baseball players eat sunflower seeds, and spit the shells out. Do you consider this to be "littering" as well?

What I said was that our differences on this issue are a matter of personal values and upbringing. Please do not persist in misquoting me.

So according to you, throwing used plastic beer cups on the ground at Swangard is not littering? How does that differ from throwing empty pop cans, burger bags or pizza crusts on the ground? Swangard staff are left to pick up your used plastic beer cups and put them where - in the garbage? Surely it follows then that the used beer cups are garbage, garbage and litter are synonymous. What then is your definition of litter and littering and what is the difference between littering on Kingsway and littering at Swangard? Litter is litter.

As for spitting anything in public - it is gross behaviour and shows lack of respect for those around one and lack of self respect. You've brought us right back to upbringing and personal values.

Well, if litter is litter, then I suppose you walk around in a full body covering to prevent any of your hairs or dead skin from falling to the ground - for litter is litter!

I've had enough of beating this dead horse. We agree to disagree - the beer cup toss is tradition, and it shall continue as long as there is a Southside. May all moaners and whingers congregate in collective misery in the grandstand.

"Well, if litter is litter, then I suppose you walk around in a full body covering to prevent any of your hairs or dead skin from falling to the ground - for litter is litter!"

Now THAT is REALLY reaching rather desperately in an obviously lost cause.

One thing we can agree on... enough on this topic.

Although I hate litter with a passion and I can hardly stand to walk the streets downtown because they're so dirty, I see the cups tossed behind the south goal to be more of a tradition than anything. It's not being thrown onto the streets. It's generally identical plastic beer cups. If people start throwing all sorts of crap there, yes that would seem like litter to me. One thing I don't understand about those people though is why they call themselves the "southsiders" when they stand at an end, not on a side. My two cents.

quote:Originally posted by vancanman

One thing I don't understand about those people though is why they call themselves the "southsiders" when they stand at an end, not on a side. My two cents.

Back in the old day when I proposed to the guys that we pick one name and stick with it as opposed to switching every time a beer sponsor switched (Carlsberg Crew, Canterbury Crew) I suppose we weren't being technical with our choice!

Since the Southsiders stand in what is basically the back end of the stadium I suppose they could call themselves the "Rear Enders".:D

You know, having just watched the red patch boys pelt a Chicago player with streamers, at least the southsider don't throw their cups at the players. Also there is some effort in the beer toss as the supporters have to work to drink the beer before they toss the cup. There's no effort in tossing streamers.[:P]

So in other words, they're all just a bunch of tossers. I don't mean that in malice, I just couldn't resist. I was about to say regarding the name you suggested that "I like rear enders" but then I read it and thought to myself that it doesn't quite look right for some reason.

Archived