Swangard stadium setup.

I was watching a little of the Whitecaps womens game Saturday on local cable. It seems that the north end of Swangard is a lot worse for wear after they removed the "luxury" end zone section that they had set up for the U-20's. Anyway, the usual North end VIP section just wouldn't do for the wealthy people who watch Whitecaps games from there so the whole setup was moved to the south endzone to avoid making the rich folks stand in mud. Anyway this begs the question. If the north end zone is still a muddy mess after all this rain, will the southsiders be displaced for the next mens match?

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

i was flipping through channels and just caught a bit of the game and noticed that too. It's not permanent is it?

I wouldn't think so. However if the rain continues and the north end is still a mess I wouldn't be suprised if they set up the VIP section in the southend until it gets better. After all the people in the VIP section pay big money to attend games, nobody pays for a spot in the southside as everybody who watches from that end have purchased tickets elsewhere in the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Thats not true. My season tickets say "Southside GA0 Seat 234" on them as they are southside season tickets.

Oh yeah, they are still doing that? I forgot about the handful of season tickets they sell to the southside. Well they don't sell individual tickets to that area, and if push comes to shove we know it will be the VIP guys who get preference for that area if indeed the north end remains a muddy mess.

They can always put boards down for you guys to stand on I guess.

Question, why do the southsiders make such a helluva mess with garbage on the field during every game? I can understand streamers and stuff on occasion but there is so much plain garbage tossed onto the field or just dropped where people are standing and it is worse there than anywhere else in the park.

We're not above standing in mud but we want our Southside.

We throw beer cups for fun when the game is dull because of Lilleyball.:DThe person whose cup travels the furthest wins.It's harmless compared to flares and coins and batteries being thrown in Europe and South America.

I do not support the throwing of any other objects.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't like litter and neither do a lot of other people and that's all this is. Why is it necessary to throw anything anyway?

Every club in Canada needs Richard's Family Fun Zone! TFC are you listening?

Come to think of it, Saturdays womens game was part of the Mens seasons ticket package. What did they do to any fans with Southsider tickets who showed up for that match? Were they allowed to watch from the southside/VIP section? The section was fenced off with the same setup they usually have in the north so they weren't allowing anyone else access to that end.

Personally if I was a southsider I really wouldn't want to share the southside with the VIP's. They don't like making noise, it disturbs their martinis.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Personally if I was a southsider I really wouldn't want to share the southside with the VIP's. They don't like making noise, it disturbs their martinis.

Aww lets face it there are no VIP's in the VIP section just average folk drinking $2 beers and cheap hamburgers ... I will raise a bigger stink than the one from the fermenting grass in the ss if I dont get my spot.

So littering is part of your family fun?

I presume you behave the same way in your mother's livingroom.

Littering? Oh please. The beer cup toss is a Southside tradition. If you don't like it, stay home and beat your dog.

Perhaps you should run for Vancouver mayor, Richard. You'd make a great leader for No Fun City.

Why is it necessary to litter in order to have fun?

Do you behave like that when you go to a party at your parent's or friend's homes?

Do you throw your litter down on the sidewalk everywhere you go or at your workplace?

Do you toss your beer cans or glsses on the floor at the pub when you're done?

Why do it then at a soccer game?

So littering is part of your family fun?

I presume you behave the same way in your mother's livingroom.

What he is refering to as a "family fun zone" is a zone where they don't litter, swear or drink, as they have in stadiums in the CFL and elsewhere. So no, he's not saying littering is part of his family fun.

Have you never been to a soccer game outside of BC, Richard? Have you ever heard of "tifosi"? Do you view that as "litter"?

Have you never been to a restaurant where customers are served peasants before the meal, and diners throw the peanut shells onto the floor? Is that "litter"? No, it's a quirky form of atmosphere.

You are the first person I have ever heard complain about the Southsiders' beer cup toss. The club has no qualms with the practice whatsoever. How's that for perspective?

Well I can assure you I am not the only one who finds the southsiders gross litter objecionable, many people have commented to me about it. I just happen to be the only one willing to speak out about it. The club tolerates it like tolerates the crude language but I am sure they would prefer not to have to deal with the unsightly mess.

Richard, you should come by the southside and down a few pints with us sometime. You can partake in our beer cup toss. You might find it liberating and it might even make you want to yell stuff at the keepers.

BTW Blue and White Army might not have as many years of watching footy as you but I'll bet that the young lad has proabably lived and breathed the game more than you.

I am routinely all too close to the southsiders at most Whitecaps games, I know full well what goes on. I also enjoy a pint or two with friends from time to time.

I have no problem with enthusiastic support and enjoyment - it is a game intended to entertain both players and spectators after all - but I don't see why deliberate littering, inebriation and a foul mouth must be integral to having fun and showing support.

I am routinely all too close to the southsiders at most Whitecaps games, I know full well what goes on. I also enjoy a pint or two with friends from time to time.

I have no problem with enthusiastic support and enjoyment - it is a game intended to entertain both players and spectators after all - but I don't see why deliberate littering, inebriation and a foul mouth must be integral to having fun and showing support.

If you dont like it, go to another part of the stadium. Wouldnt that be better? The caps are the ones that have to clean it up, and if they dont mind the beer toss, then it shouldnt matter to you. Its not your responsiblity to clean it up.

Just because it is not my responsibility to clean up does not excuse the bad behaviour or mean that I should automatically condone it or even not speak out about it. Boorish, irresponsible behavior by others spoils my game experience and I am not alone. It is quite possible to have plenty of fun and to enjoy the game just as well without leaving the place looking like a garbage tip.

Archived