How to stop diving?

argh1

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

There is a problem though, which is that the ref's decisions are definitive, but any later review has to be done by a governing body or a review board or a disciplinary committee. And usually those vary totally depending on the league or competition. There is even less consistency there than with reffing, it is total chaos.

Absolutely. I'm sure it would be just one wicked free for all to be honest.

Kinda thought a FIFA tech. committee could handle reviews, for all</u> 1st tier leagues but couldn't see that happening. There is still something to be said for allowing a sort of variety between the different countries, including how "stricktly" they interput simulation. I also doubt the individual federations would trust a FIFA TC either. Who'd decide who's on that committee?

Don't think the Italians and Mexicans want a TC stacked with Englishmen lecturing them on diving.

Still, it's something and if it were applied with some consistancy, I think the long arm of the law would hang over the field very quickly.

FIFA announced players who appeal to the ref for a card would themselves be carded (even if the ref agreed with the fouled player). The ref's applied the law nearly to the letter and almost overnight this invisible card waving nonsense stopped.

Were it so easy to stop diving.

It's going to be some messy business. I don't think that can be avoided.

Sounds like it could become the UN security council. But it could be determined by random selection from participating FIFA members on an annual basis, 1 or 2 from each confederation.

I like it the basic idea, but it would be a crap-load of work and require FIFA to become a little more transparent which probably isn't in their best interest.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Good post Cheeta, this is more or less where I could agree, except on the question of forcing injured to come in after a period of time, as I don't think it is fair as I have stated.

I don't think he's stating that he's forcing the players to come in and rejoin the game if they are injured (and neither did I for that matter). Only if they're ready to rejoin, that they have to come in via the mid-field mark. I agree that forcing an injured player to play is wrong, but that's what substitutions are for.

Just to keep this conversation going.... since a red card is an automatic ejection, why not make a yellow an automatic 10 minute misconduct penalty? It not only penalizes the player offending, but it also penalizes the team. Maybe a player will then think twice about doing some crazy stuff, diving or rough play. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Plus I'd like to thank Blather for reading this forum... [:P]

Archived