Whitecaps Stadium moved again

masster

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to say that the direction the Whitecaps are heading that Krammerhead describes also disturb me a lot, for me it demonstrates how totally lost they are. And I say that in spite of my differences with him, since we do agree that the team is badly run and poorly conceived, which is worse.

Anyone think that this management could handle an MLS team is cracked. They are stuck in an old way of thinking about soccer, and that is mostly Lenarduzzi's fault, he's a dinosaur.

By the way, I was supposed to be back for this last weekend, in the end did not work out, but had the Seattle game on my agenda. I would go to Swangard, but for me Surrey would also be a bit much, and anyone with kids on a long haul and having to think about getting home that much later would also have their doubts.

Put the stadium in the centre and families go downtown from the suburbs to shop and hang out and then go to the game. Much like you see BC Lions fans from Vancouver Island who come over on the fast ferry, they make a downtonwn Van experience of it. And you would even see that sort of crowd (yes, a mid island and Nanaimo crowd no less) at Whitecaps games if the stadium would just get built downtown.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the game on Sunday, I was talking to some people who went to Chicago on the bus trip as well as some Chicago Fire supporters who came up. None were thrilled with having that stadium located way out in burbs. Many stating that there was little to do around that area.

Yet, in a way, I can understand the thinking of why ( in the USA) you would want to stick these facilities way out in the suburbs. With Baseball around to capture the attention of the average americans in the summer, sports like pro soccer are really trying to carve out a niche. Building these facilties in the suburbs kind of makes sence if you look at in terms of business strategy because, among other factors, the land is cheaper than in downtown locales.

But i dont get that kind of thinking when it comes to canada. The game can be so much more than that here. Thats why a centrally located facility ( NOT in the burbs) is essental. I am certain that having a stadium in the city rather than the boonies is a very big reason why MLSEL were able to sell 14,000 season tickets. You guys might be better off in the long run without a stadium rather than one that is that poorly located and inconvenient.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Did I say I don't have any interest in the club? Seems to me an absurd conclusion to come to if I'm actually on here talking about them. I think I've probably watched more Whitecaps games this season than most people on this board-home and away via USL Live. Am I not allowed to post if I don't physically go to games? How about others here who post about the Whitecaps and don't go to games either? Is that a rule that applies only to myself? Plenty of others post here about the Whitecaps and they don't live in BC. Hell, some even post opinions from outside of the country. Should we question why they post and talk about the Whitecaps and express opinions on them when they aren't attending the games?

Why is is it that you (and others) seem to feel the need to question whether I should be posting here or not? What's it to you?

Not only because you don't attend games but because you are forever slagging the club and everything about them. If they're so awful why do you bother?

quote:but because you are forever slagging the club and everything about them

You are always praising them and forever kissing their ass. To each his own.

quote:If they're so awful why do you bother?

Because I like telling it how I see it. Why do you continually praise all they do? What does it get you?

quote:I wonder if K-Head will do what a couple of other Southsiders have done, and actually work for the Whitecaps one day. If you can't beat em...

Well thats another way the Whitecaps have to cut down the Southsiders numbers. Once you work for the Whitecaps they forbid you from posting on the Southsiders board or from attending games in the southside.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

You are always praising them and forever kissing their ass. To each his own.

Because I like telling it how I see it. Why do you continually praise all they do? What does it get you?

Well thats another way the Whitecaps have to cut down the Southsiders numbers. Once you work for the Whitecaps they forbid you from posting on the Southsiders board or from attending games in the southside.

The mind boggles at how many misconceptions you labour under!

It's time to build an island in Burrard inlet and have the sea bus stop there on the way on matchdays. How bloody stupid is city council? They claim they want this thing, but they keep saying something's approved, and then a few months later it has to be changed again. Inuvik's going to have a stadium before we will.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Why do you think they're ex employees?

Because they stated they were. Mentioned that they were not allowed to post on the southsiders board. There's also been one prominent Southsider of many years who this year was hired by the Whitecaps. Hasn't posted a single message this season on the southsiders board nor joined the southsiders during games. I know he's still around, he tried to flog me Whitecaps season tickets at the Canada-Scotland U-20 game in Coquitlam.

You missed my point by a country mile. There is no doubt a good reason why they are EX employees. Furthermore, it is not unusual for employees to be required not to discuss their employer's internal affairs in a public forum on pain of dismissal or worse. Indeed it is often written into the terms of employment or termination. Too easy for regular workers to say the wrong thing and get into trouble so best just to be quiet. There are very good reasons why organisations generally have designated spokesmen/women. Surely this is not beyond your experience or not a surprise for you to learn?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

There is no doubt a good reason why they are EX employees.

That's assuming quite a bit, no? Not everyone leaves their job because they were fired or are hell bent on getting even at their former employer.

I've never left a job in bad standing or with a grudge, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have a criticism or two about the way some of the organizations run their businesses.

I'm not saying this to justify the extent of his criticism, but to point out that the souce can be discredited so easily.

quote: You missed my point by a country mile

Sure did. I'm tired, but now understand what you're saying. I don't know anything about the positions these guys had with the Whitecaps or why they left. I have no reason to think they are lying when they say they weren't allowed to post on the Southsiders board (good or bad). I still can't explain why a long time southsider who never had/has anything bad to say about the club gets hired by the caps and has to stop posting on the southsiders board or watch games from the southside.

quote:I'm not saying this to justify the extent of his criticism, but to point out that the souce can be discredited so easily.

There's no criticism aimed at anyone here. Merely pointed out in this thread thats been hijacked to pieces that the Whitecaps don't allow their employees to post on the southsider board.

By the way, the Whitecaps recently hired on of the most foulmouthed of the southsiders to run their website. The one and only webmaster of the Southsiders board himself.....Morbital.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

That's funny if true. I wonder how Greg Kerfoot feels about hiring someone into his organisation who publicly refers to women as warm wet holes? Can't imagine he'll be too impressed once he finds out...

Hmmm... the person responsible for hiring a webmaster is a woman. He'd better watch his tongue now I imagine.

Just to be clear, both employees are still Southsiders.Just like the ex employee in question,all 3 had(have ) made appearrances in the Southside and all 3 have(had)participated with singing,chanting and flag waving and noisemaking.

The webmaster is a young kid.He has matured over the past year and I suspect will continue to mature working with professional adults.

quote:Originally posted by Thistle

Can't deny that, but with a city pop of 2.5 million and 5 million covering the GTA, filling a 25k stadium IS a no-brainer. It's still a novelty to the city but I agree that the 25k can be filled with nothing but football fanatics. By way of argument, though, how many of those fanatics use the GO train to get there?

sorry to join into this discussion so late and taking it off topic (although technically it might be putting it back on topic).

The westbound Lakeshore line for the Go Train was absolutely packed after Sunday's game vs. Galaxy. More and more people are taking the Go Train because it's cheaper than parking and the game schedules are timed so that when the game ends, you can get on a train home within 15-20 minutes. I only take the Go Train to games now after having driven to the first 3 games. way less stress.

A suburban stadium would be a decent fall back position as long as it is located physically at the train station. BMO Field is located literally 3 minutes from the Exhbition station. It takes longer to walk from the Ontario Place parking lot.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

sorry to join into this discussion so late and taking it off topic (although technically it might be putting it back on topic).

The westbound Lakeshore line for the Go Train was absolutely packed after Sunday's game vs. Galaxy. More and more people are taking the Go Train because it's cheaper than parking and the game schedules are timed so that when the game ends, you can get on a train home within 15-20 minutes. I only take the Go Train to games now after having driven to the first 3 games. way less stress.

A suburban stadium would be a decent fall back position as long as it is located physically at the train station. BMO Field is located literally 3 minutes from the Exhbition station. It takes longer to walk from the Ontario Place parking lot.

I agree. The Go-Train was packed. But it was also a lot of people who have now discovered the tunnel towards king st.

I for one walked on more than one occasion from UofT to the Stadium. It's just not that far.

Archived