Whitecaps Stadium moved again

masster

quote:You can enjoy your isoloated existence then. A stadium being viable in Surrey has absolutely nothing to do with you anyway.

Okay Mr. Lenarduzzi. I never said it had anything to do with me. This is a discussion board, and I was giving my opinion. I always give my opinion whether people with their panties in a bunch such as yourself like it or not. You do know these are discussion boards don't you?

quote:MANY people would travel for an hour or more to go see their club. People do it all the time for the nucks and lions giants, you name it.. if people WANT to go, they will get there.

Big deal. I posted why I would be doing, not what they would be doing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by VancouverDude

MANY people would travel for an hour or more to go see their club. People do it all the time for the nucks and lions giants, you name it.. if people WANT to go, they will get there.

Both the Lions and the Canucks are downtown. People outside of civilization will travel into civilization for events. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work the other way around.

Surrey would be a monumental disaster for the Whitecaps.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Both the Lions and the Canucks are downtown. People outside of civilization will travel into civilization for events. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work the other way around.

It's clear that he lives in Surrey and isn't thinking of the obvious.

Whether it would work elsewhere or not, it is just an absolute appalling situation that this cant get done in the downtown area. Vancouver city council continue to prove that they are idiots. I am so pissing angry.

Anywhere outside of downtown is trouble. They can't even get people to come out to Burnaby, how are they going to get people out to Surrey? And love them or hate them, but the corporate crowds will never go to Surrey. Surrey has a bad rep, which isn't that true. Surrey is a big place, and most of it is really nice. The problem is Walley/Central Surrey is scummy part nad as bad as Surrey's Rep. I grew up in Surrey, and my parents still live there, its not a nice place.

That may well be but I doubt Greg Kerfoot and crew have put all their eggs in one basket, I mentioned Surrey as only one possibility that had been mentioned by the Whitecaps themselves previously. Vancouver City Council could easily procrastinate on the stadium issue for another five years plus probably three years for construction. The Whitecaps organisation is no longer even willing to give a target date for Waterfront stadium completion, in that regard the project has moved backwards quite a long way. Despite that there are changes being planned within the organisation to prepare for a 'step up', take that whatever way you like.

quote:Originally posted by Thistle

Can't deny that, but with a city pop of 2.5 million and 5 million covering the GTA, filling a 25k stadium IS a no-brainer. It's still a novelty to the city but I agree that the 25k can be filled with nothing but football fanatics. By way of argument, though, how many of those fanatics use the GO train to get there?

I use the Go Train, George Town line, Brampton station obivously.

Let's stop the discussion about the stadium going anywhere OTHER than the waterfront. The discussions are ongoing, there is a agreed move slightly east with all the stakeholders, and there is a political will to get this done.

I'll bet a substantial sum that there will have to be yet ANOTHER public open house, but after that, and the odd Nimby complaint, the re-zoning will take place.

If there isn't a stadium on the waterfront, there won't be a new stadium AT ALL. End of story.

Sounds about right... would Kefoot buy that property only to have the stadium in Surrey or Coquitlam or Richmond? I don't think so. Hell, he bought the building behind the property where the team offices are.

Is he making money off the railways on the property?

I think he gets some lease revenue from the tracks. I don't think he owns the Landing building though.

I know one of the city planners involved in the project...and they're "stuck in". It's taking long, it's frustrating to not have significant progress, everyone involved is saying very little, but EVERYONE involved knows the benefits and the bragging rights down the road. It's no longer an "If" issue, rest assured.

I'll bet the Beckham ticket sales and U-20 attendance in Burnaby didn't hurt the whole process either.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Are you actually a soccer supporter or just a guy who likes to chew things on a message board? I am new here but having seen your posts around there is nothing but misery attached to it. You either hate soccer, love it and our miserable, or are just simply void of any positivity in your life. Which one is it?

Are you actually a soccer supporter or just a guy who likes to chew things on a message board? I am new here but having seen your posts around there is nothing but misery attached to it. You either hate soccer, love it and our miserable, or are just simply void of any positivity in your life. Which one is it?

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

Sounds about right... would Kefoot buy that property only to have the stadium in Surrey or Coquitlam or Richmond? I don't think so. Hell, he bought the building behind the property where the team offices are.

Is he making money off the railways on the property?

Yes, he's bought the Landing heritage building, and yes he's making serious dollars in long term lease deals with CP rail (think something in the range of 50 - 99 years). Figures have not been disclosed, but you can bet it's megabucks. Long story short, the railway $$$ would bring more revenue to the stadium than ticket sales. It's practically a self-sustaining development.

I also came across another interesting bit of info about the waterfront lot in the mediation documents relating the to CSA / Charmaine Hooper fallout. In a nutshell, there was discussion in those meetings which revealed that there has been some very preliminary interest on Kerfoot's part about putting condos up next to the stadium on the space that is left over after stadium construction.

You are the one that got on here all upset and snotty because I made a simple comment that I wouldn't be going to any games if a stadium was in Surrey. So that begs the question? Why are you so miserable with what I post here? Are the questions you ask above really questions you should be asking yourself? What is your agenda?

You are the one that got on here all upset and snotty because I made a simple comment that I wouldn't be going to any games if a stadium was in Surrey. So that begs the question? Why are you so miserable with what I post here? Are the questions you ask above really questions you should be asking yourself? What is your agenda?

From what I read you dont go to games in Burnaby either, and wont go to games if they are downtown. Surrey is not the reason you wont go to a game.

quote: In a nutshell, there was discussion in those meetings which revealed that there has been some very preliminary interest on Kerfoot's part about putting condos up next to the stadium on the space that is left over after stadium construction.

Good god. I hope that information doesn't cause any more difficulties.

From what I read you dont go to games in Burnaby either, and wont go to games if they are downtown. Surrey is not the reason you wont go to a game.

You are correct. I don't go to games in Burnaby anymore. I did for many years, made every game during the bus strike years ago even though I don't drive and any southsider will tell you I was always one of the first in the southside before each game (not to mention I filled in and ran the southsiders website and discussion board for a few years). Hell I was even invited to the Whitecaps offices to talk about an upcoming season and to let me know where they were headed, so someone must have considered me a a worthwhie fan at one point.

The reasons I don't go are numerous but to put it in short form: There is that "minor league" circus atmosphere that surrounds the team (music during play for example that I don't like). This stuff has increased over the last few years (crowds at games haven't). Add to that the walks to the skytrain after matches listening to the snarky comments aimed my way by casual Whitecaps fans just because I'm decked out in my Whitecaps gear, flag, scarf etc. Then they decide to play horrible Lilleyball making it even less desirable to go to games. To top it off over on the southsiders board I was told by a person who was working for the Whitecaps after exercising my freedom of speech and making my displeasure know that they don't need me as a supporter. So I'm not.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

So why do you continue to post here about the Whitecaps and express opinions if you have no interest in the club?

Did I say I don't have any interest in the club? Seems to me an absurd conclusion to come to if I'm actually on here talking about them. I think I've probably watched more Whitecaps games this season than most people on this board-home and away via USL Live. Am I not allowed to post if I don't physically go to games? How about others here who post about the Whitecaps and don't go to games either? Is that a rule that applies only to myself? Plenty of others post here about the Whitecaps and they don't live in BC. Hell, some even post opinions from outside of the country. Should we question why they post and talk about the Whitecaps and express opinions on them when they aren't attending the games?

Why is is it that you (and others) seem to feel the need to question whether I should be posting here or not? What's it to you?

Well he and a few others. I suppose contributions on Whitecaps affairs are unwanted here unless they fit a certain acceptable positive Whitecaps stance.:(

Imagine the hatred these people must have towards me if a simple honest comment about not going to games if a new stadium was built in Surrey, brings out this kind of hostility.

(..and yeah, I would start attending games in a new stadium in downtown Vancouver....Bob Lilley would probably be gone by that time).

Archived