Canada vs Brazil [R]

CoachRich

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

I don't follow the Women's national team too much but aren't we one of the best teams in world when it comes to Women's soccer? If so, how in God's green earth did we lose to a team in comparable stature so badly?

Marta went past us.

No excuse for a loss like that. It seems like the team went into shock when exposed to the speed and passing ability of the Brazilians. M. Franko said something like "I've never played against anyone that fast before" "We pulled her shirt, but nothing slowed her down" Canada needs someone to step up and lead this team (offensively and defensively ), but also the coach has to be a leader. Maybe Pell. could threaten to bring back Hooper's failed Junta if they lose another game ;)

It will be seriously embarrassing if they lose to an under 20 side from the U.S. on Monday and I guess we will find out the chararcter of the TEAM in the next 2 games. Hopefully they bounce back and use this as a positive learning experience in all their future games. I think they really need the dollars to tour Europe in August playing against the top Woman's teams.

I'm sure Pell. is learning which players are ready for this level and which ones aren't yet. By the way where is C. Chapman? She is on the roster but hasn't played yet (must be an injury), I think she would match up well with other top strikers/midfielders.

trhis is a typical kick and run team.

all the players that has shown some creativity has been dropped from the A squad.

Pellerud dont care for skills, his only criteria is physical presence players with ball control and finess has no place on his team.

someone like Morales would have never been selected by him

On the Maracana pitch which is some 80 yrs wide you got to run a lot to close down the more skillful players.

looks like 45 mins and the Canadian players was done.

quote:Originally posted by sj

trhis is a typical kick and run team.

all the players that has shown some creativity has been dropped from the A squad.

Pellerud dont care for skills, his only criteria is physical presence players with ball control and finess has no place on his team.

someone like Morales would have never been selected by him

On the Maracana pitch which is some 80 yrs wide you got to run a lot to close down the more skillful players.

looks like 45 mins and the Canadian players was done.

Well said, Pellerud has never shown himself to be a skill teacher. This team has improved solely on the back of improved fitness and training up strong, physical players. Those improvements got us this far, now to get over the next hump we need to combine that physical improvement with skill improvement...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Pellerud has never shown himself to be a skill teacher.

But these players are adults now. Is this the time to be teaching skills? if you dont have it, you dont have it. maybe Pelerud has known this from the start and has realized that to make the best of his situation, he needs to get the best out of what he has (not what he doesn't have). And, what he has is:

1) superior funding relative to all but a very small few ( ie.: US, Germany, China) other competitors/national sides.

2) Physically strong players who have a hockey mentality and whose approach to the game is influenced by our hockey culture.

3) The means ( see: through point 1 above) to ensure that the teams is more fit and prepared than anyone else.

4) players who grew up appreciating the athletic rather than the technical element of the sport ( ie.: Love to run and kick the ball)

What else, other than kick and chase tactics can you play under these circumstances. I dont think that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Or you cant change the way a culture of 500K womens players ( with no soccer role models) thinks the game should be played. If 500K people became interested in the sport as children because they love to kick the ball and chase/run after it, then what is that going to yield?

If I go biking arong a bike path on any given summer weekend, I am bound to pass by a soccer pitch with some kind of organzied game going on. And when its girls playing, that is all you will see, girls and parents screeming their lungs out when some boots it well and the exitement that everyone gets ( fans, coaches, other players) from watching girls chase down a ball.

I have to chime in on this...

quote:But these players are adults now. Is this the time to be teaching skills? if you dont have it, you dont have it. maybe Pelerud has known this from the start and has realized that to make the best of his situation, he needs to get the best out of what he has (not what he doesn't have).

Has anyone read Pellerud's book? He advocates direct play. Period, end of story. He wants to play the ball forward as early and as often as possible and rely on combative players to harry opponents and cause turnovers. This is the Norwegian style of play. Egil Olsen championed it (he is Pellerud's mentor) and bases his opinions on detailed statistical information produced from soccer match analysis. I can drone on and on about this issue, but I will assume that it would bore the sh-te out of most people.

Pellerud's approach has little to do with resources, especially with respect to the player pool. Even at the NTC level, he pushes for players to be identified that can play long balls, win tackles, and demonstrate excellent levels of fitness. Go on and watch a typical scouting weekend. The players that compete in the feature game on Sunday are Pellerud clones. The skillful players, the creative ones, often find themselves on the bench watching. Trust me on this one.

On the issue of parents influencing the game? Absolutely right, Free Kick. That shout of "kick it!", and the ensuing Parent Ball (what I call a mindless, direction-less bash into nowhere) is killing players. So is "pass it!", and calling creative dribblers "ball hogs".

Soccer parents should go through a wee one hour in-service at the start of a season on the game, its intricacies, its history and philosophies of the best development models.

But what do I know.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But these players are adults now. Is this the time to be teaching skills? if you dont have it, you dont have it. maybe Pelerud has known this from the start and has realized that to make the best of his situation, he needs to get the best out of what he has (not what he doesn't have). And, what he has is:

They weren't when he first came to Canada and blooded a whole host of athletic teenage girls. Sinclair, Lang, Andrews, Chapman, Kiss, Timko, Thorlakson, Hermus, Booth et al were impressionable young women in their late teens or early 20's when Pellerud took over the side and i can't say that their skill level has increased since he took over.

And remember the old axiom "you have to crawl before you can walk"? Well, if you can't complete a 5-10 yard pass, and can't control a 5-10 yard pass then what are the chances that you'll be able to accurately send, receive and/or control a 20-30 yard pass?

edit: I guess i should also add that U20 coach Ian Bridge is assistant to Pellerud on the NT and has pretty much carried out Pelleruds development agenda since 2002. Bridge was a long baller from the 86 WC team coached by Waiters, so i think the 2 of them see eye to eye on this model of football.

jpg75 your last post struck a nerve with me: "if you can't complete a 5-10 yard pass, and can't control a 5-10 yard pass".

This has been my complaint about the WNT and now also the our men's U-20 team for a long time now. Basic, basic ball control skills are lacking. For the women now there really is no excuse, they have had all day for months and months to work on these basic skills as well as match fitness.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

jpg75 your last post struck a nerve with me: "if you can't complete a 5-10 yard pass, and can't control a 5-10 yard pass".

This has been my complaint about the WNT and now also the our men's U-20 team for a long time now. Basic, basic ball control skills are lacking. For the women now there really is no excuse, they have had all day for months and months to work on these basic skills as well as match fitness.

I'm glad you agree Richard! The more of us there are to point out these problems, the better. I made a number of observations after the Chile fiasco and i'm glad some others piped in and agreed, and added to what i had said (such as Jeffrey S. among others). The absolute basics need to become second nature for our players or else they don't have a foundation to build on.

I will point out that good portions of the WNT were US college ALL AMERICAN's and in some cases either winner of or nominees for the best player in US women's college soccer at some point. Most of these programs do not kick and run and most of the ladies are quite capable of player a more refined game. The are contemporaries of women who do play a more refined game and demonstrate ball skills who also happened to attend the same colleges. Our WMNT coach beleives in a certain style of play and pursues it relentlessly. Pellerud wears thess results IMO.

I know that many of the members of the current WNT are quite capable of playing a better game as a team although I still marvel at the continuing problem of basic ball control and passing. I suggest this WNT under the present coaching regime would struggle against the 2006 version of the Whitecaps women. Hyperthetical of course because the teams shared so many players but I trust my point is evident. Well do I remember being highly entertained by the Whitecaps then wondering what had happened to those same players when they resorted to a not very well executed kick and run game in WNT exhibition play.

I talked to some of the fury players that also are on the national team and asked them why they play such a nice passing game for the fury and resort the uninspired kick and run game every time they play for the nats

the unanimous answer was "different coach".

in other words Pellerud.

he might have brought the program forward a two yrs when he took over after that he has set it back some 6 yrs.

I remenber a few yrs back he said Canada is going to be a force in 2007 thats the time he gave himself to chnage this team in a top five

all those players that were under him at that time and still with him now in their senoir yrs has not improve in terms of skills level and vision they just look like vicking ready to assault a ship with sheer physical strenght with their bodies doing the pounding.

the team should be nicknamed the Pirates of Pellerud.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Trillium, so much for you being a supporter, eh? Your comments about the players are pretty poor for me.

You know CoachRich, I have been wondering where you are during the commments etc. regarding Pelerud..et al, I hope your okay and will join us in discussing and supporting the WNT ... through the bad times to help get the CSA boys to see how to make things better.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I will point out that good portions of the WNT were US college ALL AMERICAN's and in some cases either winner of or nominees for the best player in US women's college soccer at some point. Most of these programs do not kick and run and most of the ladies are quite capable of player a more refined game. The are contemporaries of women who do play a more refined game and demonstrate ball skills who also happened to attend the same colleges. Our WMNT coach beleives in a certain style of play and pursues it relentlessly. Pellerud wears thess results IMO.

Good point. But here's the thing, how come they appear to lose all semblance of basic ball skill when suiting up for Canada? Are they really as skilled as we believe when suiting up for American Colleges? Sinclair is an All American (and Hooper was also), but not sure about the rest of the squad. Perhaps there really is a larger difference in play between US College and the international game?

But i do agree with you Gordon, Pellerud and his antiquated ideas are to blame for these results (win over Mexico notwithstanding)

Archived