What will our new ranking be?

We were given 23 points for beating Haiti & beating Guatemala (we get 0 points for the loss to the US). By comparison T&T got 28 points for drawing Guatemala 1-1 (as presumably they did not get any points for losing to the US & El Salvador). Unless T&T played other games in the last month that I'm not aware of that were of equal value to Gold Cup wins, colour me confused.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

We were given 23 points for beating Haiti & beating Guatemala (we get 0 points for the loss to the US). By comparison T&T got 28 points for drawing Guatemala 1-1 (as presumably they did not get any points for losing to the US & El Salvador). Unless T&T played other games in the last month that I'm not aware of that were of equal value to Gold Cup wins, colour me confused.

Simple, it's the Jack Warner effect, T&T were given a 27 points bonus because one of their own is FIFA Vice-President.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well, we are now ranked 4th in Concacaf, with Costa Rica barely ahead of us. That's our highest ranking within the region for some time.

Oddly, its a higher ranking than what we managed to achieve after winning the GC in 2000

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2791

Men's National Team

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings

Canada's men's national team has jumped to fourth place within the CONCACAF region in the July 2007 FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings. With their recent success at the CONCACAF Gold Cup, Canada jumped from sixth to fourth place within their confederation and from 56th to 52nd place in the global standings.

México and the United States remain one-two in confederation standings, although México overtook the United States this month. Costa Rica remains in third place, although they are just five points ahead of fourth-place Canada.

Ranking Country Points

10 1 Mexico 1142

14 2 USA 1036

50 3 Costa Rica 567

52 4 Canada 562

57 5 Panama 518

63 6 Honduras 485

65 7 Trinidad and Tobago 461

75 8 Guatemala 425

90 9 Cuba 360

92 10 Haiti 347

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Simple, it's the Jack Warner effect, T&T were given a 27 points bonus because one of their own is FIFA Vice-President.

That may be part of it ;)

however more likly they netted 27 points for the tie.

They may have been givin 40 points for the tie and only 13 expired. Or some combination to equal 27 point net.

We had a 28 point net because last years points are now only worth half of what they were and will totally expire after 4 years (I think, somebody will correct me I am sure of that.)

Therefore, if we do not improve (win games) over the next four years and play more games these points will expire and we will find ourselves back in 104th slot.

Seeing as T&T had points from a tie with Sweden at the WC and those are cut drastically and we didn't play any games between Mar. '06 and Sept. '06 and therefore had 0 points to lose half of it's value, T&T getting 27 points still seems weird.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

So, a win against Costa Rica might launch us past them and into 3rd in CONCACAF? Wow, the gap between the US/Mexico and the rest of us is massive.

...just gotta play more games...hopefully quality games...

Archived