Pro-Soccer Media Conspiracy

Grizzly

Hey John, how about the Victoria Beckham special? Is this evidence that the tide has turned? Is Beckham so huge that there is now a pro-soccer media conspiracy to such an extent that they are putting the pea brained average looking celebrity wives of soccer stars on tv whenever they have a chance? Will you be watching?:D

Victoria Beckham's US media blitz backfires

Mon Jul 16, 2:34 PM

NEW YORK (AFP) - Victoria Beckham's attempts to woo the US media since arriving in Los Angeles soccer star husband David appear to have backfired, with critics savaging a reality show to be broadcast Monday.ADVERTISEMENT

"Victoria Beckham: Coming to America," was originally intended as a mini-series, but trimmed to a one hour special by the NBC network.

Billed as a revealing special that "delves into Victoria's larger-than-life world to reveal, among other things, her wicked sense of humor and style," the show failed to impress the mainstream media.

The New York Post gave the show a damning zero-star review, slamming the pop-star turned fashion figure as "relentlessly self-promoting" with "vapid, condescending behavior" in a show described as "an orgy of self-indulgence."

"You'll sit there slack-jawed at the gall of these people who think we are that stupid," the Post's reviewer wrote in a scathing broadside, also laying into the couple's "nightmarishly overdone rococo mansion" in Beverly Hills.

"The 'special' which NBC calls an 'exclusive' inside look at Victoria's larger-than-life life smacks of too much fame, too much money and too much time spent believing the hype for all concerned," the paper wrote.

The New York Times was no more forgiving in its write-up, describing Victoria Beckham as being "somewhat famous for being sort of famous, and is photographed a lot in Britain."

"She does appear to be pleasant and not without a sense of humor. But that isn't quite enough to carry viewers through an hour of house hunting, sunbathing and applying for a driver's license," the paper's reviewer said.

"There has to be something going on behind the scenes because there is no other way to explain so much time and videotape spent on the moving arrangements of Mr. Beckham's wife.

"If she can retain viewers past the first commercial break, then the results will be conclusive: either there is a vast, media-controlling conspiracy afoot, or there is no such thing as celebrity ditz-fatigue," the paper said.

The US media has been having a field day since the couple arrived in Los Angeles last week, when David began a new chapter at the LA Galaxy soccer club, with the pair appearing on magazine covers, chat shows and television specials.

Grizz I don't even know who she is ,a spice girl, but it is not my music. Does not appeal and as david's wife/spice girl connection i guess the other media meaning the non sporting ones are putting pressures on that pathetic lot. If that is what it takes great. I hope they rip the sports media guy a new a hole and use the sports angle and create that interest that soccer needs an has been purposely deprived of.I guess the Spice is on the other foot.That whole bastion of N. A media as i have said so many times are i n a mess. What to do about that effen soccer. That laughing stock of jokes in the media rooms. That effen European sport that may catch the attention of the local lites and low and behold may even create enough pressures and attention .Gentlemen the media hates soccer itenseley,since it may repalace what they have been brainwashed to believe,that football,basketball and baseball are North American sports, Soccer is an immigrant sport,not having it's roots in N.A and therefore is not acceptable. Remember guys those that go to the u-20 are almost all of foreign backgrounds. This thing is one great non Canadian event.

The media is in a mess and we can help these guys by calling them with a Canadian accent and let them know who you are and what you want.

About Victoria well welcome to the US and wait till she and David go to a N.A football game,than you will see the pictures and even distorted stories. The best thing the Beckhams can do is not go.

I'm not sure the Entertainment tonighty angle will make soccer popular, most sports enthusiasts(people who would actually watch the game) are always droning on about how people always dive in soccer, I don't mean to offend anyone but their basically calling it gay, I don't think david beckham will change this stereotype very much, in fact it may have to opposite effect.

Hey Metro with a capital M now i know were that name came from,Metrosexuality is that good or bad sex.Never heard of it and did you start it. never mind I thought it was funny and wondered how you would react anyway. What does it mean. Greek stuff maybe?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Well I think the way David looks at his wife's fake boobs proves he is not gay. Though I guess he could be a gay man with a silicone fetish.

If he's not gay, then he has deplorable taste in women for a straight guy. And the fact that David keeps turning-out Tom Cruise' (*LOSER*) advances doesn't prove he's straight either. [8)]

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Grizz I don't even know who she is ,a spice girl, but it is not my music. Does not appeal and as david's wife/spice girl connection i guess the other media meaning the non sporting ones are putting pressures on that pathetic lot. If that is what it takes great. I hope they rip the sports media guy a new a hole and use the sports angle and create that interest that soccer needs an has been purposely deprived of.I guess the Spice is on the other foot.That whole bastion of N. A media as i have said so many times are i n a mess. What to do about that effen soccer. That laughing stock of jokes in the media rooms. That effen European sport that may catch the attention of the local lites and low and behold may even create enough pressures and attention .Gentlemen the media hates soccer itenseley,since it may repalace what they have been brainwashed to believe,that football,basketball and baseball are North American sports, Soccer is an immigrant sport,not having it's roots in N.A and therefore is not acceptable. Remember guys those that go to the u-20 are almost all of foreign backgrounds. This thing is one great non Canadian event.

The media is in a mess and we can help these guys by calling them with a Canadian accent and let them know who you are and what you want.

About Victoria well welcome to the US and wait till she and David go to a N.A football game,than you will see the pictures and even distorted stories. The best thing the Beckhams can do is not go.

The American media may hate soccer but the Canadian one doesn't. They're more open to soccer becoming a big past time of the country.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

I'm not sure the Entertainment tonighty angle will make soccer popular, most sports enthusiasts(people who would actually watch the game) are always droning on about how people always dive in soccer, I don't mean to offend anyone but their basically calling it gay, I don't think david beckham will change this stereotype very much, in fact it may have to opposite effect.

There is this waiter in my favorite bar and he really does not like soccer. So I called him over and asked the magic question,have you followed the u-20 at all. No he said not interested. Why not I asked ,well he said guys are always taking a dive and that I don't like about the game. But I said you never watch a game so how do you know about that diving bit. Well that is what the papers are reporting he said.Yes he is a football fan and obviously being influenced by the media.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

There is this waiter in my favorite bar and he really does not like soccer. So I called him over and asked the magic question,have you followed the u-20 at all. No he said not interested. Why not I asked ,well he said guys are always taking a dive and that I don't like about the game. But I said you never watch a game so how do you know about that diving bit. Well that is what the papers are reporting he said.Yes he is a football fan and obviously being influenced by the media.

But if he had watched the games he would see that there was a massive amount of diving in a majority of the games. If the media is reporting this they are only reporting the truth. This is like saying the media is anti-hockey for showing the Bertuzzi incident.

Mackie sofar it is still a disaster despite TFC. When Canada was in the Gold cup the media could not care less.We cannot accept any less than total full blown acceptance as one of the major sports if not " the major" sport strictly based upon the participation levels as well as the attendance levels at these games. We are probably numero UNO without any doubt and we will demand that recognition.Yes Sir we are probably No 1 in attendance world wide and local TV figures as well as the big final that will break any record in this country I expect.

But if he had watched the games he would see that there was a massive amount of diving in a majority of the games. If the media is reporting this they are only reporting the truth. This is like saying the media is anti-hockey for showing the Bertuzzi incident.

I don't believe that he was at any time considering watching soccer.He only used this general excuse from watching a game he probably resents because it may invade his football world. he is only using that diving as an excuse. This diving as a soccer player is also overblown somewhat certainly exist and it is up to the referee to call it and they do.It is also dangerous to dive because you could be expelled from the next game. So it is not something that goes unpunished exist but also not tolerated and punished so any player who dives could be in deep trouble. My most famous dive was in 1974 when this German soccer player just did that and the referee Taylor from England called for a penalty. Holland lost and that dive was the big culprit.Totally destroyed my honeymoon as well.

yes I have been married 33 lovely years.

I think that we should set up a diving committee on this board and determine how bad it is and how the referees are handling this. It may very well be something that could be overblown. Ok set up the diving committee. Grizz you are in charge and pick some cohorts to decide and report back. maybe we are on to something,please.

Diving is the scourge of our great game and is getting worse and worse. Now even the non-traditional diving teams like Holland, Germany and Sweden are diving constantly. Maybe what is needed for FIFA to finally get rid of it is for all of the teams to do it. As far as I am concerned FIFA has legalized diving.

Grizz I put you in charge of the diving committee for this tournament and please report back with all the details meaning occurrences as well as those that were penalized as well.I guess we should ask for volunteers to do so. I also believe this to be very important part of our media relations so we can respond with our facts as observed.Are you game Grizz.I will be at the semi and final in TO so I don't mind reporting back with the details as you will request.

Diving is the scourge of our great game and is getting worse and worse. Now even the non-traditional diving teams like Holland, Germany and Sweden are diving constantly. Maybe what is needed for FIFA to finally get rid of it is for all of the teams to do it. As far as I am concerned FIFA has legalized diving.

freddy adu is a good example of this, remember the canada usa tie from about a year ago, after the game he said something like, "I took a chance and it didn't work out", that kinda attitude makes it sound like it's a strategy or a move, and not the dirty rotten cheating it is.

But it is a strategy at the moment. Players and teams will generally do whatever they can get away with if it will help them win. We can't expect them to police themselves. I hate diving as much as anyone but watching international soccer in the last 5 years has convinced me that FIFA has de facto legalized diving. Now all the teams that didn't used to dive have realized they have to if they want to play on an even playing field. The Americans have started diving and probably we have to do so as well. I think that is what it is going to take for FIFA to eliminate it. Once everyone is doing it and it is tarnishing the game completely FIFA may realize they have to take action against it. Up to now certain countries with a lot of power in FIFA have gained unfair advantages from diving and have managed to derail any efforts at removing it from the game. However, since everyone is doing it now things may change. The Argentines may not like diving so much if they are playing the Germans and the Germans get a penalty from a dive that wins them the game instead of the other way around.

It is very similar to the situation in the NHL with the trap and the clutching and grabbing. The league waited far too long to take action probably under the influence of certain powerful teams who were successful with the strategy. Then all the teams started playing with this strategy and the games got boring and unattractive to the fans so the NHL finally had to take action to prevent this type of play from ruining the game and alienating its fans.

still, you make a good point but I would still like Canada to be a beacon of not diving, if everyone in the world does it except Canada, I still think fifa would have to come to same conclusion you said, and we could keep our pride, and with the talent we have it would probably shed a good light on Canada if we overcame a cheating world, I mean when canada qualifies for 2010 :) and everyone seems to be diving except us and we still do well (which is very possible, at most I think diving could only change like 10-20% of outcomes in a tourney) we would be heroes, Eric Cantona be singing us praises.

The problem is that we may a beacon of non-diving that is watching the World Cup on television like usual while some of our southern pro-diving nations are participating. In this case we will not be a beacon at all but rather an a nation that is simply not on the radar of the soccer world and which is completely ignored and not respected.

Archived