California Victory.

Is this team going to last. Just watching their game tonight in Portland. They bring no trainer with the team and only 14 players (which is odd when you are allowed 5 subs). They've just subbed on their backup keeper (not in the keeper position).

Sounds like a team that has given up.

quote:Originally posted by Canucks fan

surely a team in Victoria could do better than them.

Most teams would. They've had no promotion, and they scheduled 5 of 14 home games for weekdays which shows that there was no foresight into what they were doing. Crowds have really only been in the low hundreds for the games and nobody in California except for their few supporters seem to care.

Guest Jeffery S.

I already posted before it all started that their president Piterman is a nut case, an a$$, mistreats his players and coaches, has been taken to court by them for money and for his insults against them (including ethnic insults), and is bad news for the USL. He is appalling in all respects, the worst example of someone with money who treats everyone else with disdain.

But I was thinking maybe he'd leave his coach alone, probably now he is not in Spain he is starting to interfere more being in San Fran and things are typically falling apart. Soon enough his players and coaches will ask to get paid and get out. And the USL will have the option they do not have in Spain, simply ask him to leave.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

[but I was thinking maybe he'd leave his coach alone, probably now he is not in Spain he is starting to interfere more being in San Fran and things are typically falling apart. Soon enough his players and coaches will ask to get paid and get out. And the USL will have the option they do not have in Spain, simply ask him to leave.

I dont think we need to worry about the USL asking him to leave I think the lack of fan support should do that after this season.

I think the whole process is beyond a joke to allow all these semi wealthy individuals to think they can run a team with no proper facilities with no budget to grow the game in major markets is stupid ... so you get two hundred soccer mad fans and 59,800 empty seats makes you wonder who is running the ship becasue every year I see the USL making the same mistakes.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well isn't that suspicious: late news from yesterday is that Piterman has sold his 51% controlling interest of Alavés for 3 million Euros, and is bailing out of Spain. Meaning his focus will now be on his California Victory.

If this means, as I speculated, that he is now interfering with the club, it is possible he has decided his coach is incompetent and has decided to coach the team himself as a sort of summer holiday, and that he has also kicked a few players off the team for being "bad professionals" or something. This would explain no coach and few subs last road game.

This guy is very bad news, a bad apple for USL: I wonder if the pdl team in San Fran gets a lot less fans out to their games.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well I was curious about this, and what I have found is not so bad.

First, reading reports on the games at Portland it seems the head coach was indeed there, he commented on reffing decisions on the Victory site's game report.

It also says they are injury-ridden, and did not hide the fact that they had few subs.

Finally, looking at attendance at Kezar, on July 4 they drew some 1200, a few days earlier even better, on the weekend. Those are not bad crowds for a new team.

Then they have quite a bit of community involvement, summer camps, are setting up something with radio. I don't know if the news from this weekend justifies my criticism of Piterman, though his activity elsewhere certainly does. Will give Victory a break for now.

quote:First, reading reports on the games at Portland it seems the head coach was indeed there, he commented on reffing decisions on the Victory site's game report.

Thats right. I said that they didn't bring a trainer, their injured players had to be treated by Portlands.

quote:Finally, looking at attendance at Kezar, on July 4 they drew some 1200, a few days earlier even better, on the weekend. Those are not bad crowds for a new team.

Those crowd numbers are badly inflated. I watched all their games on USLLive and they only seat people on the side of the stadium facing the camera. There's no way they've averaged over 350 people a game. now I could believe the usual "tickets sold" BS that people always give but thsi team hasn't taken the time to sell many tickets for people not to use.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Thats right. I said that they didn't bring a trainer, their injured players had to be treated by Portlands.

Those crowd numbers are badly inflated. I watched all their games on USLLive and they only seat people on the side of the stadium facing the camera. There's no way they've averaged over 350 people a game. now I could believe the usual "tickets sold" BS that people always give but thsi team hasn't taken the time to sell many tickets for people not to use.

Sorry, understood trainer as coach. If it is true they have a lot of injuries perhaps he was left back to work with those in need. That is not so bad in any case.

As for attendance, maybe I'll go onto their BS board to ask, curious about anything to do with Piterman. I see a few of their lot do get out to support the PDL Seals, who seem to draw a couple hundred maximum.

It would be great to see the game succeed in California, but Piterman will not be the one to inspire that, he is a failure almost everywhere he goes. Really too bad.

Maybe 100 fans there tonight. Reading some Atlanta fans thoughts on the game:

quote:And, I think there might be more 'backs fans watching online than there are people at the game.

quote:Lets play a game who in the crowd are Victory employees. I have seen T-ball games with bigger crowds.

Archived