Onstad 2007

nolando

Not having a bad year at all, especially when you think that he might have been Gold Cup Champion on top of all of this.

Look at these stats from a preview of the TFC-Houston match:

"Pat Onstad had five shutouts in 2006, but already has six this season. He made six saves in Houston's 4-0 win over Chicago on Thursday night.

Onstad leads MLS with a 0.65 GAA, nearly one-half goal better than any other goalkeeper in the league."

If he keeps this us he will give Mitchell a headache (a relatively nice one, mind you) in terms of his 'keeping decision for next year. I mean, I thought he was done for Canada a few times over the years, and personally would be happy to move on an adress the longer term future for us at that position, butOnstad seems to come out of the ashes just when you'd least expect it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the mistakes made in WCQ would suggest that his success in Houston *may* be more a result of quality defending in front of him, poorer quality in attack towards him, than say his exceptional keeping ability.

That said, I only saw him against TFC and in the Gold Cup - had very little to do in any of those matches, so I really can only point out that there may be mitigating circumstances surrounding his success.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I think the mistakes made in WCQ would suggest that his success in Houston *may* be more a result of quality defending in front of him, poorer quality in attack towards him, than say his exceptional keeping ability.

That said, I only saw him against TFC and in the Gold Cup - had very little to do in any of those matches, so I really can only point out that there may be mitigating circumstances surrounding his success.

What about his experience being the reason why he doesn't get that much shot on him? The best keepers are often the ones that can organize a defense properly.

BTW, he had a good GC and made the crucial saves against CR and Haiti, didn't have much to do against Guatemala and didn't have bad game, but not great, against the USA.

Archived