Where was the media when we finished last in WCQ?

Grizzly

We have had a big media reaction about a poor performance in the U-20 and substantial criticism of the coach, players and CSA (some but not all of which is deserved). Where were all of these guys when we got knocked out of WCQ? First of all the senior World Cup is a far more important tournament than the U-20. Secondly we finished in last place against the likes of Costa Rica, Guatemala and Honduras not Chile, Austria and Congo. Yallop blamed the players for the result and was criticized by me and a few other posters. Mitchell did the same thing and gets roundly criticized by every sports writer (I don't like either of them blaming the team though I think there is a bit more truth to the claim in Mitchell's case. I still don't think it is a good coaching move though). Yallop plays favourites and cronyism with his team selection and gets no media criticism for this. Mitchell calls the players almost everyone else would have called and is roundly criticized for his selection even though I have yet to see one alternative player suggested that I really think would have made much of a difference. Yallop employs poor tactics in 6 games but none of the sports writers were watching the game, Mitchell does it in two and is a tactical idiot. We finish in last place in WCQ and our coach who later abandons the team is still considered by many of these sports writers as "the right man for the job". Mitchell finishes last in a group in a youth tournament and is now unfit to coach the senior team. I don't know if Mitchell is the right man for the job but there is a huge double standard here.

Where will these reporters be at the end of our next WCQ. If we qualify under Mitchell I highly doubt they will be lining up to write articles admitting they were wrong. Alternately if we don't qualify there will be a far greater number of articles about it than about Yallop because they will be all crowing about how they were right. If Mitchell doesn't last that long and we don't qualify under Hart or some other coach it will probably be a minor story just like the last time. What this shows is that most of these critics don't really follow the game or the team and are only writing sensationalist pieces with little understanding of the situation. I welcome the extra coverage though if it remains constant and forces the CSA to be more accountable but I somehow doubt this is going to happen.

I can't argue with anything you have written. What this does say though, is that media are reacting because this happened in Canada and people are paying attention. None of these outlets/writers pay attention when Canada plays away from home.

We have always said it, but the CSA must make sure that Canada plays more matches at home and their games have to be live on television so theat people don't forget about the national teams. That is why I think hosting the Gold Cup would be huge.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I can't argue with anything you have written. What this does say though, is that media are reacting because this happened in Canada and people are paying attention. None of these outlets/writers pay attention when Canada plays away from home.

We have always said it, but the CSA must make sure that Canada plays more matches at home and their games have to be live on television so theat people don't forget about the national teams. That is why I think hosting the Gold Cup would be huge.

Enough said. That is why, perhaps maybe the CSA/Sportsnet could subcontract games for the Canadian mens national team for the upcoming World Cup qualifying campaign to CBC or Gol TV. Screw TSN.

The media is only involved in soccer in this country when it is convenient, and when there is controversy. The bomb in WCQ wasn't convenient, and there was no social pressure to cover it. For the U20 World Cup, they had no choice but to cover it. There needs to be more pressure from us to get more coverage of soccer in this country.

This is why I don't buy into the "we lost but soccer is getting coverage" mentality. It's a nice spin to put on it, but it's just a spin.

Yes gentlemen it is all about that media.Media first marketing second. That is how it works. You must get that publicity and that is what these marketing gurus are looking for.Soccer is a great hit with first and second generation Canadians and after that it falls of tremendously.

I really believe that we should have a very in depht discussion about the Canadian media and European and Canadian soccer coverage.

I think we should point out what soccer represents ,who is involved,the overall interest that exist,the local media coverage of Canadian and other soccer.The Tv coverage and again in categories as well as the overall news coveage of soccer and it's rankings in the various broadcasts,the placement of soccer in the sports sections,who is writing about the game and who are the columnist and their experiences.What should be covered and how as well as a mandatory requirement that the media have those assigned to our national teams anywhere.The knowledge of these soccer writers and their availabilty to communicate with the fans like us.

What marketing companies should be involved and what products ahould be a priority. The benefits of the game and it's history as well.The number of participants as well as the overall viewing audiences as well as the viewing audiences on a weekly basis.The total viewing audiences over the week and those that watch WC,CL and others.

I am sure you guys can think of a lot more items and or discussions points.This is just for starters.

Archived