Canadians abroad: July 13-19, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Since soccerTV.com no longer serves Canada, I will no longer be compiling a "Canadians abroad on TV this week" list.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 13-19, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

AEK Athens are playing a friendly against Steaua Bucharest today. The game starts at 2pm ET and might be available on Sopcast. The 2 channels are listed as "maybe"

http://85.92.128.155/~myp2p/Matches/Match5.htm

Edit: real downer, the game is not on any of the channels...can someone find out if Nsaliwa is playing?

Correction, the game started late and is now playing on TVAnts -> AlphaTV

Watched the AEK game, thanks for the tip jpg. He looked strong playing as an offensive mid on the right side. We really need to get him in the national team fold. He is playing midfielder since moving to Greece and that was actually his position earlier in his career and when he debuted for the nats. If we keep him there maybe he could be the missing link in mid, the distributing defensive midfielder. He has speed and is a good passer and superior to both Bernier and Nash in probably every regard.

Good to hear. the stream kept buffering on me and i saw maybe 10 minutes of the match in short clips from start to finish. I did hear his name mentioned in the second, was that him who got knocked down and was on the ground? they were showing Rivaldo and Cesar over on the bench at that time...anyways, i agree that he'd be a great holding mid to support De Guzman and Hutch and buffer the backline from attack.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Good to hear. the stream kept buffering on me and i saw maybe 10 minutes of the match in short clips from start to finish. I did hear his name mentioned in the second, was that him who got knocked down and was on the ground? they were showing Rivaldo and Cesar over on the bench at that time...anyways, i agree that he'd be a great holding mid to support De Guzman and Hutch and buffer the backline from attack.

Yes that was Nsaliwa who was injured on the ground. He got a hard elbow to the head from an opponent as they both went up to head the ball. He was down for a couple of minutes and I thought he was going to be subbed off but he continued to play and didn't seem much worse for wear. I wouldn't say he stood out but he definetly was solid and didn't look out of place. Keep in mind both teams are solid Champions League calibre teams. Once a combination of a good pass and his speed almost got him alone on the keeper but a very good reaction by an equally speedy Steaua defender just managed to get between him and the goal. If he continues to play like that he should be a starter for AEK. Steaua scored in the last minute to make the score 1-1. The stream worked fine for me.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Adrian Serioux saw his first action of the season for FC Dallas, starting and coming off in the 66th minute of a 3-3 tie with DC United.

Serioux was playing in the center of defence. I only saw the hi-lites but it looked like Dallas was having trouble with the offside trap. Could be a problem with a new addition to the back line. He was on the field for all three of DC's goals.

Guest Can. in UK

FC Copenhagen are playing FC Nordsjælland today - but Hutch is not, nor is he on the bench.

There are pictures of him on the FCK website at training, though.

Loads of friendlies in Europe today. Teams in action which have Canadian players include:

Hertha BSC (KOA), Munich 1860 (Ledgerwood), Bochum (Imhof), De Graafschap (Johnson), Rosenborg (Hirschfeld), Club Brugge (Klukowski), Monchengladbach (Friend), Rushden & Diamonds (Jackson)

Possibly more that I didn't notice at first glance. Surely all won't see action, but some will. I expect this will be Will Johnson's first appearance with De Graafschap, where he is on loan from Heerenveen the entire season.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Didn't watch it, but livescore.com says Issey scored the winning goal in the 90th minute as Nordsjaelland win 1-0.

I tried to watch but the streaming was not so good, too rough, couldn't follow.

Good result though and great to see Issey making the step up on a stronger team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I tried to watch but the streaming was not so good, too rough, couldn't follow.

Good result though and great to see Issey making the step up on a stronger team.

Damn, Issey with the winner! i gave up watching at the 78th minute [:0]

I could only get about 5 seconds at a time and it would buffer for a minute. Too bad it sucked for everyone, but atleast it alleviates my worries about my internet connection [:I]

Guest Jeffery S.

Hey, that FC Nordsjaelland-Copenhagen was the league opener, thought it was a friendly. So a big win vs. the champs and an amazing start for Issey, who wears no. 11 for them. Really pleased for the guy.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Hey, that FC Nordsjaelland-Copenhagen was the league opener, thought it was a friendly. So a big win vs. the champs and an amazing start for Issey, who wears no. 11 for them. Really pleased for the guy.

if it was the league opener I wonder where Hutch was... injured perhaps?

More on Isseys goal from the Nordsjaelland Website:

Henrik Kildentoft: - Lovely to beat FCK

...Matchvinder Issey Nakajima-Farran enjoyed his début in Farum Park: - Particularly I enjoyed the seconds which went from I the ball in goal headed, until I was attacked by shouting with joy team friends. It was like watching a film in slowmotion, where I only stared at the shouting with joy fans and loved the sight. It was then leaked to score that goal, and headers generally are one of my mediocre pages, said Issey, who with the scoring made sure that FC North Zealand top scorer is still the player with a jumper no. 11 in the new season.

More on Isseys goal from the Nordsjaelland Website:

Henrik Kildentoft: - Lovely to beat FCK

...Matchvinder Issey Nakajima-Farran enjoyed his début in Farum Park: - Particularly I enjoyed the seconds which went from I the ball in goal headed, until I was attacked by shouting with joy team friends. It was like watching a film in slowmotion, where I only stared at the shouting with joy fans and loved the sight. It was then leaked to score that goal, and headers generally are one of my mediocre pages, said Issey, who with the scoring made sure that FC North Zealand top scorer is still the player with a jumper no. 11 in the new season.

Archived