Dobson: Canucks & Gillette interested in MLS

Gian-Luca

With the Liverpool connection, George Gillet could bring interesting partnerships to MLS. However, the question remains, who would be better for the league: Sapputo and Kerfoot, or Gillet and the Canucks. Methinks that Sapputo and Kerfoot have paid their dues and deserve the clubs, however with MLSE, chances are that if their interest is serious teams will go to Gillet and the Canucks.

Saputo has paid his dues, but the CSA & MLS aren't going to sit around waiting for him to put a team in Montreal (assuming MLS wants one there) if somebody else is willing to do so.

Again though it begs the question of venue, Olympic stadium is sitting wide open for usage but MLS tends to want a SSS & Saputo is the one building that.

I doubt that the Canucks would be trying to get a team in Vancouver. Kerfoot wouldn't fight this long to get his stadium built only to have the Canucks be the owners of an MLS franchise. Don't forget Kerfoot has big money too.

I'd like to see Dobson's sources on this one. One possible scenario I could think of that maybe the Canucks are intersted in a possible Seattle franchise.

The Canucks. Are you kidding me? They are owned by the Aquilinis. I know thats an Italian name and maybe they like soccer, but that family is all about the mighty dollar. They are not going to invest in a league until they are absolutely 100% sure that it will make them money. And although the MLS is turning a corner, they are not there yet.

Montreal fans deserves a franchise. They have always supported their football(soccer)teams. Why can't the Big "O" be a soccer specific stadium?? No one else plays there!! The stadium is City owned, is it not??? All that's needed is the franchise fee. Mr Gillete the stage is yours, please step up!!!

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by bingham

Montreal fans deserves a franchise. They have always supported their football(soccer)teams. Why can't the Big "O" be a soccer specific stadium?? No one else plays there!! The stadium is City owned, is it not??? All that's needed is the franchise fee. Mr Gillete the stage is yours, please step up!!!

The Big O is where franshises go to die.

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

The Big O is where franchises go to die.

Yup. That's why the Alouettes moved out installing themselves in the 20k Molson Stadium at McGill.

The place is just way too big and the seats are a long way from the field. It's just not a good sports facility.

Also, the league doesn't want teams in that type of facility. They want smaller, more intimate venues such as BMO or Home Depot in LA.

SSS! Soccer Specific Stadiums!!!

db

Speaking of the old stadium....

MONTREAL - Now that the city of Montreal has agreed to put $4 million into the proposed Percival Molson Stadium expansion, the last fiscal hurdle standing in the way of project has been cleared, Montreal Alouettes president Larry Smith said Wednesday.

Smith said the $10.2 million each pledged by the federal and provincial governments was conditional on Montreal making a contribution, so final confirmation of the total $20.4 million in federal and provincial subsidies should be forthcoming shortly, said Smith.

"Hopefully, it will be soon in coming," Smith told reporters Wednesday at a new conference that followed the city's announcement of an $800,000 annual contribution during five years, beginning in 2009.

"Discussions have been going on in parallel with the three levels of government, with everything going in circles, in the sense that the federal and provincial governments told us, 'You've got to get the city of Montreal on board first before you'll get us,' " said Smith.

Despite the lack of closure on the federal and provincial pledges, Smith said the football club doesn't expect any negative surprises, and fully intends to be able to begin construction in November 2008.

The plan is to add 5,000 seats by the start of the 2009 season, mainly as a result of the addition of an upper deck on the south side of the stadium. Even after such an expansion, Molson Stadium, which currently holds 20,202, will still be the smallest venue in the eight-team Canadian Football League.

Smith noted that the $13.7-million upgrade of basic stadium infrastructure that the Alouettes undertook in 2003 did not begin until the city of Montreal first agreed to subsidies that in turn unlocked corresponding federal and provincial money.

"The minute that Montreal was in, the other guys were in, too," said Smith, whose Alouettes are off to a 0-2 start this season.

Smith said non-fiscal talks are also proceeding well with provincial authorities that have veto power over development on Mount Royal, where the stadium sits, under a 2006 provincial decree that classified the mountain as an "historical and natural district."

Ministry of Culture officials want the Alouettes to plant evergreen trees to block the view of the stadium's east-end-zone video screen from public view of people at the base of the mountain.

The lack of a formal fiscal commitment from the city of Montreal had been a growing concern of the Alouettes earlier this year. But last month's pledge by the provincial government to give Montreal the right to impose a municipal amusement tax has changed the political dynamic.

Still, city official Darren Becker insisted Wednesday there is no relation between the decision to help the Alouettes and any impending new municipal tax under provincial Bill 22, which will be voted on in the fall.

The old city amusement tax, revoked in 1992 by the provincial government, was worth 10 per cent of the price of admission to sporting and cultural events.

The $4 million pledged by the city Wednesday is "not new money; it will be coming out of the city's existing operating budget," said Becker.

A rule has been signed regarding Molson Stadium that only the Alouettes and university-related sports can play there. Plus, the permanent football lines would be a huge bummer, when we have a SSS with natural turf going up.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

A rule has been signed regarding Molson Stadium that only the Alouettes and university-related sports can play there. Plus, the permanent football lines would be a huge bummer, when we have a SSS with natural turf going up.

That's perfect! No soccer at Molson!!! Hopefully Joey will smarten up, expand his stadium and get his MLS application in!

db

quote:Originally posted by masster

The Canucks. Are you kidding me? They are owned by the Aquilinis. I know thats an Italian name and maybe they like soccer, but that family is all about the mighty dollar. They are not going to invest in a league until they are absolutely 100% sure that it will make them money. And although the MLS is turning a corner, they are not there yet.

The corner should be well and truly turned when RBNY move out of Giants Stadium and into an SSS by 2009. They are the last of the big money losers in MLS.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

He's got to go bigger than that for MLS though. Seventeen thousand just won't cut it .... unless your in Kansas City of course. [:o)]

db

MLS minimum capacty is supposedly 18k. I'd imagine they'd go the TFC route of building up demand before getting aheaf of themselves.

And for the record, more than 17k at SS has never been mentioned (although is probably possible).

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

MLS minimum capacty is supposedly 18k. I'd imagine they'd go the TFC route of building up demand before getting aheaf of themselves.

And for the record, more than 17k at SS has never been mentioned (although is probably possible).

I would hope so. I don't think they'd be that short sighted but you would know better than me.

db

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Sportsnet news and they were reporting that Garber met with 2 potential ownership groups in Vancouver about a potential MLS franchise. Something about plans were contingent on the status of the Whitecaps stadium.

So is the 2nd group the Canucks?

Incidentally, I think the Montreal franchise is really up to whether the Saputo family wants it badly enough. If Lino Sr. wants it, the family has a net worth greater than that of Gillett. The Saputo family is in Malcolm Glazer, Jim Balsillie territory. Gillett may have the glitz and profile but he is somewhere further down the list.

It has to be Vancouver,David likes that town and is closer to king Richard. Besides we all know that Vancouver has the best grass in the world. Vancouver has a Dutch ring to it. I wonder were that Couver came from.

B.C has really earned to be part of the TFC tradition of showing the whole world how to do it right and Vancouver will make this loud and clear, we love soccer and we will show the world that TFC was no fluke at all. This is so real and so magnificent. Hey Bobby will be drooling just to have that chance again. Yes it has to be Vancouver and yes they have done so much for soccer in Canada,BC that is.

I just hope that if they play here they will bring that real stuff courtesy of King Richard deGrasse because they will need it to beat that TFC team.

Vancouver, or at least the name, does indeed have a Dutch connection. Captain George Vancouver after whom the Island and city are named, was the first European to explore the inner waters of Burrard Inlet. He was born in King's Lynn, Norfolk, on June 22, 1757. He was of Dutch ancestry, descended from the titled Van Coeverden family, whose castle at Coeverden was long an important fortress on the eastern frontier with Germany. Vancouver's great-grandfather married an Englishwoman; his grandfather seems to have spent most of his later years in England. George's father, John Jasper Vancouver, was assistant collector of customs at King's Lynn (actually the functioning official, as the position of collector was a sinecure). His mother, Bridget Berners, came from an old county family that numbered Sir Richard Grenville, of Revenge fame, among their ancestors.

http://www.discovervancouver.com/GVB/captain-george-vancouver.asp

Archived