Bircham to Yeovil

Alberto7

Midfielder Bircham joins Yeovil

Bircham was released by QPR in May

Yeovil have signed former QPR midfielder Marc Bircham.

The 29-year-old has joined Russell Slade's side on a free transfer and has put pen to paper on a two-year deal.

Bircham started his career with Millwall and went on to make 115 appearances, scoring four goals in nearly six years at the club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/6287632.stm

The Canadian international then joined QPR in July 2002 and played 149 games for the Loftus Road outfit before he was released at the end of last season.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Bircham was obviously serious about MLS. Why fly over for a trial otherwise? The rumour that has leaked out is that he simply did not impress during his trial and was told to take a hike by Mo Johnston.

What rumour? I never heard that.

I did read a quote from Mo in the Globe in which he said: "We're strong in that department where he plays," Johnston said. "We were impressed by him. He's good on the ball. He knows how to play soccer."

That doesn't sound like being told to take a hike.

Fill me in. Where did you hear this rumour?

db

Info obtained from TFC insiders that has appeared on the RPB board. If you show up at Shoeless Joe's some time after a game I can introduce you to the people who were told that and you can decide for yourself how credible they are. What gets said in the papers and what actually gets said behind closed doors are often two very different things. :)

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Info obtained from TFC insiders that has appeared on the RPB board. If you show up at Shoeless Joe's some time after a game I can introduce you to the people who were told that and you can decide for yourself how credible they are. What gets said in the papers and what actually gets said behind closed doors are often two very different things. :)

Sounds like a plan!

db

• 6 months later...

Yeovil Town midfielder's 'worst ever year' in football

-Yeovil Express/Steve Sowden -

YEOVIL Town midfielder Marc Bircham will be hoping for a better 2008 after describing the past 12 months as the worst he has ever experienced as a footballer.

Bircham, who is just coming back to near first-team action following a lengthy injury lay-off which has seen him to yet make his League One debut for Yeovil since arriving at the club from QPR in the summer, said on his own personal website that it had not been the best of years for him.

"In fact, it has probably been my worst ever year in football and I haven't played a full game since January," he said.

"In a way a broken leg or knee ligaments would have been better because at least then you have a definite period when you know you'll be off.

"I've had operations and false starts and it's all been very stressful. It's like Groundhog Day and there were times when my head was all over the place.

My family, friends and the club have all been supportive and without that and my own mental toughness I'm not sure I would have made it

Yeovil Town midfielder Marc Bircham

"We were thinking of moving to Canada or the US at one point and then we had a little girl. It just wasn't the right time for a move like that."

Bircham added: "The move to Yeovil was a great one, but the frustration of not being able to play has been terrible.

"My family, friends and the club have all been supportive and without that and my own mental toughness I'm not sure I would have made it."

Bircham, who was an unused substitute on Boxing Day during the 1-0 defeat against Swindon Town at Huish Park, said: "I don't really do New Year resolutions, but I do have a wish for the New Year and that is to stay fit and able to play football. That would do me."

http://www.yeovilexpress.co.uk/display.var.1931881.0..php

maybe he will end up in canada again at some point after all. What a neat story that we be given his "start" as a Canadian. Sure hope he has a better 2008.

A fit Bircham would have been fantastic for us, says Yeovil Town boss

By Steve Sowden

YEOVIL Town boss Russell Slade has said he is pleased with the way midfielder Marc Bircham has returned to playing duties following a long injury lay-off.

Bircham, who arrived at Huish Park from QPR last summer, has only just got back playing first-team football following a lengthy spell of frustrating injuries.

The experienced midfield man has made a couple of substitute appearances for the Glovers in recent weeks including Tuesday night's 2-0 Coca-Cola League One defeat at Huish Park against Walsall.

And Slade said: "I was pleased with Birch. He came on and he wanted to boss it. He got his body in the way.

"He's not the quickest man around the place, but he passes the ball well, he gets his body in there and he annoys the opponents.

"As I've said, a fit Marc Bircham at the start of the season would have been fantastic for us.

"But there are still plenty of games left for him and if he can stay injury free then I'm sure he's going to be playing more than he's not."

10:18am Friday 11th January 2008

http://www.yeovilexpress.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1958824.mostviewed.a_fit_bircham_would_have_been_fantastic_for_us_says_yeovil_town_boss.php

• 2 weeks later...

Archived