"Concachampions" to replace Gold Cup?

Daniel

OK Jeffrey, I needed to be more precise

“Gold Cup” (or its translation in spanish or maybe in another language) is a name more well-known as some people here think, and people knows it design the Concacaf Nations Championships

And I of course agree that Concachampions is ridiculous (and add that “champions” is more used in club than country competitions)

Coupe d'Afrique des Nations

Euro

Copa America

Asian Cup (called Coupe d'Asie des Nations in french)

The problem also resides in our “continent” name or, to be accurate, longlonglong description

And the south american Cup takes in his name the whole continent together...

Now, after the “name” reply, the important tournament one

So... that's just ridiculous !

A copy - paste is enough (thanks Jeffrey S.) :

I cannot figure out what they are proposing here, dropping the tournament and making it into a long Cup like for clubs? Sounds to me like some MLS team came up with the idea to avoid losing players for the Gold Cup, how much do you want to bet they'd schedule to NOT coincide with MLS games?

Is this a serious proposition, making our international players fly out from their clubs for every game scattered over the year, rather than just going three weeks for Gold Cup?

I think it is better that the Gold Cup will be used to determine the CONCACAF countries that qualify to the World Cup Sotuh Africa 2010.

And if the COPA AMERICA will be in year 2009 in Mexico, I think that is the time that all of the countries of the Americas can participate. A COPA AMERICA with 16 nations will be great : 10 from South America and 6 of CONCACAF (with a preliminary round for the Caribbean islands)

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Europe probably has the best thing going for it. I like how they just call the tournuement EURO. It's simple and sharp. EURO 2000 has got to be the best name any soccer tournuement has ever had.

It's actually officially called the European Championships.

Edit: or it was until UEFA branded it UEFA Euro 2008™.

I can't read Spanish, so I threw this into an online translator. We'll just have to bear with the mistakes, though I think it makes a little bit of sense.

New tournament: the Concachampions

Across this contest, Mexico might classify to the Glass Confederacies 2009

Rafael Ramos Villagrana

On July 05, 2007

PORT THE CROSS, Venezuela. — Comes Frankestein II. The Golden glass dies, but the Glass Concachampions is born.

The Concacaf is employed at the last details for the funeral of the Golden glass and for the illumination of a new tournament in which there will take part 18 of 40 teams of the area.

The Concachampions will be played in his first round in the second semester of 2008 and in the first semester of 2009. This tournament will promise to be officially in 15 days.

Pero la Concachampions does not come alone, has an award: one more ticket for the Glass Confederacies: South Africa 2009?.

Justino Compeán, president of the Mexican Federation of Football (FMF), indicated that the Concachampions suple to the Golden glass to give more opportunity to the teams of the Carib.

" They will inform three teams of North America, that is to say Canada, the United States and Mexico. Five of Central America will be: Honduras, Panama. Nicaragua, El Salvador and Guatemala, in addition to eight of the area of the Carib who does not decide yet as they will be selected ", mentioned Justino Compeán.

In the final of the Golden glass 2007, the United States conquered in the final Mexico and remained with the pass to Confederacies.

In case possibly the United States was gaining this Concachampions one would resort to two mechanics: a duel between the segúndo and third place or directly for the subchampion of the contest.

With regard to the head office of the Glass America 2011, Justino Compeán confirmed the shown for Chuck Blazer, General Secretary of the Concacaf, during the Golden glass, that is to say, that it seems inevitable that is even assigned to Mexico, with the consent of the Association of Football of Argentina (AFA), but there are details that to negotiate still with Conmebol.

" The Concacaf has said to us that we should leave everything in his hands. They will take charge negotiating the Glass America for Mexico because also in this year the agreement of exchange is conquered between both confederacies that America allows members of the Concacaf to take part in tournaments of Conmebol, as the Glass, the South American Glass and the Glass Liberators, mentioned Justino Compeán.

Also, already the Concacaf had established that not only looks for the Glass America for Mexico, but, in the rotation, the United States is included for 2012.

It sounds to me like they are ditching the Gold Cup in favour of this new formatted tournament. That will still give us a Continental Championship, though it will be much less prestigious(is that even possible?).

The reason they seem to be doing this is in order to have some type of America's Cup, hosted by Mexico in 2009, and then the USA in 2012.

If this is the case, I'm in favour of the change, although the name is stupid.

It sounds to me like they are ditching the Gold Cup in favour of this new formatted tournament. That will still give us a Continental Championship, though it will be much less prestigious(is that even possible?).

The reason they seem to be doing this is in order to have some type of America's Cup, hosted by Mexico in 2009, and then the USA in 2012.

If this is the case, I'm in favour of the change, although the name is stupid.

They should change the name of the "Gold Cup" to the "Gold Glass" would be fitting.

Also does anyone think Conmebol will invite the USA again ? There is a big mess about how they sent their C squad to Copa.

laopinion.com is a joke though, I bt they just made it up.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I think that part is just referring to the existing Copa America?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think that part is just referring to the existing Copa America?

So they are disolving the Gold Cup, making the Concachampionship to determine a regional champion, and expanding the Copa America? That sounds alright to me.

there probably just changing the name to hide from all us pissed off canadians, I know it's not true but if they change the name I'll be claiming they ripped us off so bad that they changed the name out of shame.

I still dont understand the format. Is the new tournament going to be just selected teams, or will every member of CONCACAF get a shot at qualifying? If this is not open to all confederation members, then that is about 20 paces backwards for our zone!

Hi! I remembered the time when I was chating to a canadian guy years ago and I said that México was going to take revenge from the defeat with Canada in that gold cup, when they played the qualifications to the world cup, and he just went like: I don't care. Carelesness is why the canadian soccer is not improving but fortunately this is changing. Canada made a great 2007 gold cup and the creation of sites like this one are really good signs.

So for the soccer canadian fans I'm going to explain what that report made in spanish wanted to say, since I found this site by coincidense, when I was looking information about that weird "Cocachampions" tournament, and saw the confusion that the online translator gave.

1.The article says that the gold cup will be vanished. 2.The "Concachampions" will replace it, and this new tournament will give 2 passes to the Confederations Cup, not to the "World cup".

3.Unfortunately yes, the gold cup 2009 in toronto is canceled, since the "Concachampions" will be in usa because of "money" reasons.

4.It has no bonds with the Copa America. They are 2 completely diferent things. It won't expand the Copa America.

5.The article bording of diferent matters, mentions that it's almost a fact that the Copa America 2011 will be hosted by Mexico, and for the 2012 usa will be proposed candidate to host the Copa America 2015, there won't be Copa America 2012 since acording to the new rulles it is done in the year after the World Cup.

Yhea, Concachampions is a disgraceful name

Archived