World Cup Brasil 2014

Trillium

I would propse that the Voyageurs begin developing a plan for the CSA to qualify for the World Cup in Brasil in 2014.

It will need to be plan that is visionary, and has fiscal resources outside the CSA control.

It will need to be plan that includes the support of Ricardo Teixeira by Canada to be the next FIFA president.

The plan would include the development of a pipeline for our over U16 players to be placed at the pace of ten per year in Brasilian serie C and B level states..with clubs playing in the first division.

The players housing and education costs to be covered by the CSA, a Brasiian technical assessor hired to monitor player progress.

Funding from Commercial sources to be drawn from major Canadian firms in Brasil..i.e Ontario teachers pension plan, Alcoa...etc.

Players at age 18 plus to be signed to a CSA professional contract with a new CSA professional club entity who would have abilty to sell the players to highest bidder clubs and use the resultant revenue to fund more player placements....

Any other ideas are welcome..again make it visionary...

Ricardo Teixeira and the CBF are just as much a mess as the CSA.

The key thing going forward is to look at what we can learn about soccer development from many sources. Brazil is only one worth looking at.

One thing the USA does better that Canada is using the best practices it finds anywhere in the world and try to make them better. In Canada, we tend to defend what we do and protect what we have.

Brazil is very good at training teenagers and making it fun. It also handles the size of the country well. I would look at clubs like GR Barueri and Pao de Acucar EC as much as I would look at clubs like Corinthians, Sao Paulo FC, and Flamengo because their development systems are just as good and probably more open to get involved with us. They also began as amateur clubs a short time ago.

Other countries like the Netherlands, Germany, Argentina and England will also have ideas and concepts that can be incorporated into a Canadian development system.

The issue for Canada is that we have geographic distance to deal with in our development system. I think that makes a handful of NTCs less effective. We need to look at low cost options to distributed high level development.

Originally posted by Massive Attack

Wow, I wasn't aware that we've already been eliminated from South Africa 2010.

The players who will qualify for 2010 are already in the system..what we need is 2014 program going ahead...so taking the 16 year olds..and adding ...seven years...gives you age 23... along with some seasoned vetrans...to qualify.

Do you really think the CSA can produce a team in three years after 2010 ?... we could not do it in two plus years with the U20s under Dale Mitchell...

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

I think you are confusing results in a youth tournament with actual player development. There are two totally seperate issues.

The 2001 WYC was an unmitigated disaster, but some of Canada's current best players played on that squad.

The real key is to get Canada's best talent in professional environments as soon as possible.

Hey, if we can raise more money than the CSA has, then can we be the new CSA? Or would it be better to use our cash to bring MLS to Calgary and Ottawa? (On the assumption that Vancouver and Montreal will happen on their own?)

Trillium, let's tap into your connections regarding fundraising and let's start generating some real cash. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Ricardo Teixeira and the CBF are just as much a mess as the CSA.

I am not claiming he is great or the CBF is great..but ... we should support the bid for political and developmental reasons...to help get our young players in pro development progams in our time zone, in a low cost environment.

quote:

The key thing going forward is to look at what we can learn about soccer development from many sources. Brazil is only one worth looking at.

One thing the USA does better that Canada is using the best practices it finds anywhere in the world and try to make them better. In Canada, we tend to defend what we do and protect what we have.

Brazil is very good at training teenagers and making it fun. It also handles the size of the country well. I would look at clubs like GR Barueri and Pao de Acucar EC as much as I would look at clubs like Corinthians, Sao Paulo FC, and Flamengo because their development systems are just as good and probably more open to get involved with us. They also began as amateur clubs a short time ago.

Other countries like the

The issue for Canada is that we have geographic distance to deal with in our development system. I think that makes a handful of NTCs less effective. We need to look at low cost options to distributed high level development.

I agree..but the NTC issue is ruse we need only one NTC ..with a residential component..just as other olympic sportMs..do you move to the top coaches ...and you develop and compete in international events.....Make one NTC in a bilingual city with colleges and universitys...

I rather we use the idea of getting those Brazilian clubs to set up shop over here and train us, instead of us going there. Than they can choose the best players to go over. I like the idea though overall. Ivory Coast does a similar thing with France I'm pretty sure.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

I rather we use the idea of getting those Brazilian clubs to set up shop over here and train us, instead of us going there. Than they can choose the best players to go over. I like the idea though overall. Ivory Coast does a similar thing with France I'm pretty sure.

Exactly. Let's give it time, there are a handful of clubs who have announced the opening of academies in this country over the last 12 months. IMO this is a trend that is going to expand as we start producing stronger youth talent as a result of these efforts.

Exactly. Let's give it time, there are a handful of clubs who have announced the opening of academies in this country over the last 12 months. IMO this is a trend that is going to expand as we start producing stronger youth talent as a result of these efforts.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Do you have an exact list of the teams that have? I know Benfica opened one up. I also recall hearing Manchester United are going to annouce that they're opening something up as well. Are there others?

We need the Dutch. They are by far the best at training youth players .. and not just Dutch players either. The youth programs set up by their club teams are amazing. Pick up the new 4-4-2 they have an intro.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

We need the Dutch. They are by far the best at training youth players .. and not just Dutch players either. The youth programs set up by their club teams are amazing. Pick up the new 4-4-2 they have an intro.

That's what I have been dying for all along. It would be nice to see TFC partner up with Ajax to help create their youth academy. Similar to what Real Salt Lake is going to do with Real Madrid. Ajax has the greatest Youth Academy ever.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I guess I missed those qualifying matches. I should have been paying closer attention.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I guess I missed those qualifying matches. I should have been paying closer attention.

Seriously. I mean, how could you have missed that disaster in Kingston that put us out? The two goals called back. The phantom red card to Hastings??

Of course, we still should have held on the lead. After all, we were up two at the half. But, you knew that things weren’t going to go our way after they called Hume’s second goal back. And I still can’t believe that CONCACAF didn’t sanction the Jamaicans for failing to control that crowd behind the goal.

(sigh)

God, it was a tough pill to swallow, losing out on the hex—again--by one point. Especially when you saw T&T drawn to that group with the Caymans, Bermuda and St. Lucia. I mean, WTF????

So, yeah, it’s a great idea for us to focus our resources on 2014 now. You know, since 2010 is a done deal.

Do you have an exact list of the teams that have? I know Benfica opened one up. I also recall hearing Manchester United are going to annouce that they're opening something up as well. Are there others?

Everton i believe has an agreement with the OSA, not sure the extent of it. Tino L. who runs Academy Sports could probably tell you more. I also recall seeing an AC Milan academy advert on the right column of their website...

Archived