DeRo Contract Extension

rdroze

How about some good news for a change?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4953161.html

Dynamo extend De Rosario's contract through 2010

By BERNARDO FALLAS

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario reached an agreement with the Dynamo that will keep the two-time Major League All-Star in Houston through 2010, the team announced Monday.

De Rosario's contract replaces his existing one, which ran through the 2008 season.

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed by the team, but the MLS Players Union's Web site listed De Rosario's updated guaranteed compensation for 2007 at just under $325,000.

De Rosario, 29, declined to address the financial terms of the deal but confirmed the contract included a substantial raise. He began the season earning less than $150,000 under the old contract.

''The league came back with an offer that I thought was appropriate,'' said De Rosario, a two-time MVP finalist. ''It's not where I want to be but it's to where I can be comfortable and my family can be comfortable.''

The veteran midfielder said the contract was agreed upon in late May after rejecting an initial offer in April.

''It was done before the Gold Cup,'' De Rosario said. ''I didn't want to draw attention. I wanted to keep it quiet and (announce) it at an appropriate time when it would not be a distraction to the players or myself.''

In his seventh MLS season, De Rosario has three goals in 12 games with the Dynamo this season and was a key member of the Canadian national team during its CONCACAF Gold Cup run last month.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Well is it good news? I thought we all wanted to see him with TFC or out of the MLS.

agreed, he's what ?29?, if he's extremely lucky he'll be peaking for the next 4 years, his european time frame is closing. I think if no top flights are interested in him he should join a 2nd division, could be one of the best players in quite a few 2nd tiers, which could bring him into the top year within a year or two and get his chance to shine.

The poor guy just more than doubled his salary! Isn't that good news? :D

But seriously, I think DeRo's window of opportunity for Europe has passed him by. And as a selfish fan of Toronto FC, the fact he's staying in MLS only increases the likelihood of him ending up in Toronto somehow.

deRosario would not improve by going to Europe. He is what he is. If anything riding the bench and being less successful in general may hurt his confidence and game sharpness lessening his worth to the national team. We all realize that he could have been better than he is, he could have been Canada's best player ever if he had been lucky enough to catch on with a Europe club who believed in him when he was young, like Stalteri.

Would be nice to see him play for TFC but if Mo wanted him he would have got him by now. Edu + someone else for deRo, its not difficult.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

deRosario would not improve by going to Europe. He is what he is. If anything riding the bench and being less successful in general may hurt his confidence and game sharpness lessening his worth to the national team. We all realize that he could have been better than he is, he could have been Canada's best player ever if he had been lucky enough to catch on with a Europe club who believed in him when he was young, like Stalteri.

Would be nice to see him play for TFC but if Mo wanted him he would have got him by now. Edu + someone else for deRo, its not difficult.

De Rosario would improve hugely with only three months in Europe, never mind a season of play. Even in Spanish 2nd division he'd make huge strides. Because there are things in his game that are very deficient, such as passing onto someone's foot and making the right decision in decisive plays, off the ball movement, lots of stuff. He has never been coached at a high level and it shows, he lives on flashes.

Now that his salary has increased to this level, though, he has a lot less need to think about a move, as the money is okay and he would not find a much better deal in Europe, maybe double that at best and if lucky.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

De Rosario would improve hugely with only three months in Europe, never mind a season of play. Even in Spanish 2nd division he'd make huge strides. Because there are things in his game that are very deficient, such as passing onto someone's foot and making the right decision in decisive plays, off the ball movement, lots of stuff. He has never been coached at a high level and it shows, he lives on flashes.

Now that his salary has increased to this level, though, he has a lot less need to think about a move, as the money is okay and he would not find a much better deal in Europe, maybe double that at best and if lucky.

My comments were based on deRo going to a top league somewhere and only getting limited playing time as a sub. i doubt he would consider going to a second division anywhere, dero sees himself as one of the MLS' marquee players and would only go to a top league like Dempsey did. Also i doubt he would learn much at all at this stage as his current game/deficiencies have been ingrained in him for quite a while. I recall Arsene Wenger once said that you cant really teach very much in the way of individual skill, technique, and decision making past the age of 16 (or something to that effect).

He was offered a 6 month contract with Blackburn a few years back, but he was looking for a little more security. Family is HUGE to DeRo and his wife is in showbiz...that just doesn't add up to him getting up and taking off to Europe. As much as he needs to go, I think, he is at a place in his life where he has it good. Not great, but the peace of mind he just received is comforting. I would go "all in" and say that he will never go overseas.

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

He was offered a 6 month contract with Blackburn a few years back, but he was looking for a little more security. Family is HUGE to DeRo and his wife is in showbiz...that just doesn't add up to him getting up and taking off to Europe. As much as he needs to go, I think, he is at a place in his life where he has it good. Not great, but the peace of mind he just received is comforting. I would go "all in" and say that he will never go overseas.

Agree with you. Remember, he has already played in Europe for FSV Zwickau when he was like 18-19(after he played part of one season with the Toronto Lynx) and did not have a very positive experience leaving the club after 2 (?) years before starting from scratch again in the A-league. I'm sure those difficult memories played some part in his decision. He is playing at the top level of North Anmerican soccer and making a very good living and is one of the leagues's stars and as you remarked, stability is very important for him and especially for his family.

Archived