The Whore's bogus accent

CanadianSoccerFan

I am not supporting the whore in any way but......

It could be that his mom and dad (damn their black souls) never lost their English accents and, because he lived around English accents while he grew up, he was able to slip into an English accent.

Further, he may be the type of guy who REALLY wants to fit into a dressing room so he may have developed it during his time on England duty. If you want to lose an eccent or gain an accent it can happen pretty fast. I knew a girl who came to Canada from Leicster at 15 and she spoke like a Canuck when I met her at 22. Works the other way also. I knew a girl who came from Scotland at 16 but who had every intention of going back "home" when her studies were done. When she left at 24 I could seldom understand what the heck she was saying.

Also, all my wife's Belgian relatives speak English with definite British inflections so it could be that is all he heard for many years while he played in Germany. Still you might think he would develop a bit of an German accent (it seems to me that Diesel spoke with nearly a German accent before he left for England).

Despite the above, I don't dispute the fact that Hargeaves is a slime ball and that the accent sounds a bit contrived.

If you spend time around English people and actively try to mimic word choice/word stress/accent etc. you definitely can. You might not ever sound proper English, but you can come out of it with a hard to place accent that baffles everyone. Just like Owen

I will never defend the bast@rd but i have to admit i think it is possible to pick up a slight accent if your parents are of your new accent's heritage.

Sorry if that last statement was as clear as mud.

My reason for this is I have apparently picked up a slight Irish twang on a few words I say. My mother is from Ireland, I spent a year in Australia living with differnet groups Irish boys, and have been dating an Irish girl for the past 2 years (with whom I also lived at her house in Ireland for 8 months last year).

While I still am a proud Canadian with a Canadian accent, i have occasionally been known to confuse people with my accent when I first meet them.

To many Canadians I sound like I have a bit of an Irish accent and to the Irish I sound like i am a Canadian with an Irish twang.

I noticed the easiest way to pick up and accent is by taking the piss out of how someone says a certain word a few times, and then one day you accidently come out with the word in the piss-takee's accent. Very annoying.

But in the end, hargreaves hasn't lived with any English man or woman (aside from his dad), and has never lived in England... thus he is a jack@ss.

This is an interesting topic. To be honest I am not bothered what accent this guy has or uses. My take on the whole accents thing in general is as follows

My father came to England from Canada via a few years in Jamaica. He has lived in England for some 40 years now. People will always comment that he has never lost his Canadian accent and within our family he is the only Canadian living in England. He answer to people is 'You only lose your accent if you want to'. This is probably true as when you have a different accent and are living somewhere else. Many people want to fit into that area and by fiting in the accent changes or drops. Hope that makes sense.

Having said some people mainly English people will mistake him having an Irish acccent. This can be funny as he has never been to Ireland and has no connections in that country. So maybe his accent has changed slightly. As far as I am concerned having been here for 40 years and still have a strong Canadian accent thats quite good.

This is an interesting topic. To be honest I am not bothered what accent this guy has or uses. My take on the whole accents thing in general is as follows

My father came to England from Canada via a few years in Jamaica. He has lived in England for some 40 years now. People will always comment that he has never lost his Canadian accent and within our family he is the only Canadian living in England. He answer to people is 'You only lose your accent if you want to'. This is probably true as when you have a different accent and are living somewhere else. Many people want to fit into that area and by fiting in the accent changes or drops. Hope that makes sense.

Having said some people mainly English people will mistake him having an Irish acccent. This can be funny as he has never been to Ireland and has no connections in that country. So maybe his accent has changed slightly. As far as I am concerned having been here for 40 years and still have a strong Canadian accent thats quite good.

Guest Jeffery S.

If anything him speaking German all the time might affect his English, with the odd lexical error, or structural.

Some people say I speak a bit odd, but noone hears a Spanish accent, it is more in how you structure your thought and certain vocabularly errors. Especially if you have not been in an English environment.

Him speaking with an English accent is possible, but it is not normal. His natural English the one he speaks with old high school friends in Calgary. I have friends from Can in England who only have altered some vocab, but not their accents. And a cousin my age, who is an actor and has been on the stage and in a few major movies, can do accents all you want, but speaking with his English wife and kid he has only the slightest accent, and only then on rare occasions or with certain idiomatic expressions.

I conclude that Owen's accent is affected. Maybe 80-90% must be part of a weak personality that wants to belong so falsifies the self, adjusting to the context. There is a bit that could be due to some influence, but from where, when? He has never lived in England in his life, and still hasn't.

Guest Jeffery S.

If anything him speaking German all the time might affect his English, with the odd lexical error, or structural.

Some people say I speak a bit odd, but noone hears a Spanish accent, it is more in how you structure your thought and certain vocabularly errors. Especially if you have not been in an English environment.

Him speaking with an English accent is possible, but it is not normal. His natural English the one he speaks with old high school friends in Calgary. I have friends from Can in England who only have altered some vocab, but not their accents. And a cousin my age, who is an actor and has been on the stage and in a few major movies, can do accents all you want, but speaking with his English wife and kid he has only the slightest accent, and only then on rare occasions or with certain idiomatic expressions.

I conclude that Owen's accent is affected. Maybe 80-90% must be part of a weak personality that wants to belong so falsifies the self, adjusting to the context. There is a bit that could be due to some influence, but from where, when? He has never lived in England in his life, and still hasn't.

Don’t forget English is a Teutonic language anyway and many of the words share the same afflictions. His time speaking German would have changed many pronunciations of words

Now this will be controversial, but why shouldn't he play for England. No offence, but he has to be a much better player and try a lot harder to get into that squad. He'd walk into the Canadian Squad, be a no-body in England and would have never moved to Man Utd, and would barely be making the Bayern team because of a combination of stunted international possibilities pushing him and low media profile.

quote:Originally posted by mikelovell

Now this will be controversial, but why shouldn't he play for England. No offence, but he has to be a much better player and try a lot harder to get into that squad. He'd walk into the Canadian Squad, be a no-body in England and would have never moved to Man Utd, and would barely be making the Bayern team because of a combination of stunted international possibilities pushing him and low media profile.

Phuck him and phuck anyone that defends that bastard.

quote:Originally posted by mikelovell

Now this will be controversial, but why shouldn't he play for England. No offence

Well, actually a lot of offence but to your main question: there is no reason whatsoever that he should not play for any country that offers him the best chance of making gobs of cash.

That said, there is also no reason why we should not treat him like a lying whore for saying he would play for Canada then turning around and playing for a country he had never lived in (and would not live in for several years afterwards.)

I suppose you think that in 1939 we should have happily said "Cherrio!" and congratulated Canadians of Italian and German heritage who wanted to go "home" and join the fight? Maybe arranged a send off party in 1942 for Japanese Canadians heading for their "homeland" after Pearl Harbour? Whoregreaves is WORSE because he was interested only in personal glory and CA$H. Patriotism (no matter how misguided)is always a more noble motivation in my book than greed.

And BTW all this BS about "he would not have been noticed by the big clubs" or "It would have stunted his development" is a total utter wishful crock of $#!t. He was ALREADY playing for Bayern when he was offered the place on the England team. That and any talent he may posses would have been enough to get him "noticed" by ManUre (every Canadian Soccer players wet dream apparently.) So saying he somehow NEEDED to play for England to further his career shows a complete lack of knowledge about the player, his development and the timeline of his career.

It also says something about your dedication to the Canadian team if you spend your time defending defectors.

No offence. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

Heck yeah...i don't speak in a broken english italian accent

If you are trying to have a specific accent, in order to fit in with a group, having lived around people with that specific accent will aid one in taking on that accent. Its not that hard to understand.

With respect to broken English, my best bud's folks came from Poland. He can do the best fake broken English / Polish accent. Its awesome.

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

If you are trying to have a specific accent, in order to fit in with a group, having lived around people with that specific accent will aid one in taking on that accent. Its not that hard to understand.

With respect to broken English, my best bud's folks came from Poland. He can do the best fake broken English / Polish accent. Its awesome.

True I guess but the fact remains the guy is a poser.

I know tonnes of guys whose parents are both from China, Japan etc. The Parents maybe be barely understandable but the kids speak perfect english.

Whoregreaves is just trying to fit in...

FRESHEN YO TEA GOVNA???

Archived