U-20 players with a shot at the Senior side?

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Would anybody else agree that KOA could be a big part of the team in a couple of years?? I have been really impressed with him last summer against brazil as well as yesterday. Being only 17, I think he has the most potential of any player on the U-20's.

I thought he was one of the best players in yesterday's game and should have played more in the tournament. I don't want Mitchell to follow Yallop and debut teenagers during WCQ, but this kid definitely has a future and is in a good professional environment.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

Peters will be in the side for WCQ. 100%.

He brings something to the team that is indispensable.

Get used to seeing him checking in around minute 70.

Agreed. One of the things our senior team is arguably lacking a bit of is break-through speed. This is what I was alluding to in my previous post in this thread.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I thought he was one of the best players in yesterday's game and should have played more in the tournament. I don't want Mitchell to follow Yallop and debut teenagers during WCQ, but this kid definitely has a future and is in a good professional environment.

Also agreed here. I was calling for him to be in the starting line-up right away, and that is in fact one of my biggest criticisms of Mitchell in the tourney, I think he should have been starting from the get-go.

As far as I know, both Peters and Johnson have been capped. Edgar will be as he is improving and is probably going to be the face of Canadian Soccer for quite some time. I think only Peters is good enough to crack the starting 11 but now that the MNT has depth, time will only tell. As a former keeper myself, Bergovic has my support %100. He is young and has many years ahead of him. Most keepers don't mature until their late 20's early 30's. Just keep him in the fold. He should be getting more time on the field at Portsmouth but as I write this I am not sure what the keeper depth chart is.

Peters will be in the side for WCQ. 100%.

He brings something to the team that is indispensable.

Get used to seeing him checking in around minute 70.

With Issey's emergence I'm not so sure. I always thought Peters with his pace would be a super sub, but after the Gold Cup I think we have plenty of options there and he may split time.

I think when you look at areas we are thin in we are most likely going to see Edgar and maybe even Begovic this qualification cycle.

Guest speedmonk42

I don't think there is predicting much of anything.

As someone stated earlier, Stalteri used to drive us crazy.

Ask again in two years.

Canadian players are often late bloomers.

With Sutton, Lars and Onstad (maybe)...I can't imagine Begovic being a first, or even second, choice starter.

I was impressed with Issey too...but Peters is the absolute definition of a late game sub. Also his club is likely to be somewhat better (no, I don't want to start a league comparison thread) and he is likely to play a more prominent role with his club.

If/As he continues to mature as a player, Peters' attacking presence on the right flank will be very important. Regardless of what people thought of his overall performance at the U20s, in this past GC I would still have used him as a sub, especially in the Guadeloupe game (Harmse for Bernier on the right wing?).

Peters created nothing. He was easily shut down. His stock has dropped considerably and only good club form, superior to that of Nakajima-Farran, Simpson and Radzinski will see him get MNT minutes.

Edgar was a non factor. If I had not heard of him before watching the games and someone told me that guy plays in the Newcastle system I would not believed it. Hainault was shaky in the Gold Cup, but is still way ahead of Edgar. With Nsaliwa and Brennan in there too I don't see Edgar in the MNT for a long while.

Begovic made a couple good saves but didnt look great overall. He's not ready.

Johnson had the worst performance out of all the key players. His shooting ability was absolutely horrible. There is just no excuse for having a clear opportunity on goal from the top of the box, and having it end up getting closer to the corner flag than the net. No call-ups for you, goodbye.

These guys have dug themselves into a deep hole and only superb play at their clubs will get them a call up.

Who did impress me somewhat in these games was Keegan Ayre. Mitchell is an ass for not playing him more (as well as KOA over that goof O'Connor, Nana over Haber, etc etc). Ayre is not close to the MNT now but I see him developing into a contender in due time.

Some of you guys are driving me insane, yes we had a bad tournament but to say that no one has a shot at going to the mens national team is like saying that We should just pack up the next 8 years because we have no one good in our youth system.

We have David Edgar whos on the cusp of a Premier side, yet alot of you guys have hard ons for guys who we havnt seen play for years who played in bundisleague 2.

Pretty much were over reacting at a really really ugly tournament, but there is a future in a few of these kids. I expect Begs, Edgar to be involved with the national team in the next few years. Peters and Johnson need to make another step before we can consider them for the national team.

But we will take a few kids from this squad and turn them into real pro's

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

But Richard, you're speaking as if they are. Lumley, Gala and the other TFC reserves aren't surviving on that money. They're part-timers.

Even those who are getting a livable wage did not live up to their billing at all during this tournament, by their own admission.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Peters created nothing. He was easily shut down. His stock has dropped considerably and only good club form, superior to that of Nakajima-Farran, Simpson and Radzinski will see him get MNT minutes.

Edgar was a non factor. If I had not heard of him before watching the games and someone told me that guy plays in the Newcastle system I would not believed it. Hainault was shaky in the Gold Cup, but is still way ahead of Edgar. With Nsaliwa and Brennan in there too I don't see Edgar in the MNT for a long while.

Begovic made a couple good saves but didnt look great overall. He's not ready.

Johnson had the worst performance out of all the key players. His shooting ability was absolutely horrible. There is just no excuse for having a clear opportunity on goal from the top of the box, and having it end up getting closer to the corner flag than the net. No call-ups for you, goodbye.

These guys have dug themselves into a deep hole and only superb play at their clubs will get them a call up.

Who did impress me somewhat in these games was Keegan Ayre. Mitchell is an ass for not playing him more (as well as KOA over that goof O'Connor, Nana over Haber, etc etc). Ayre is not close to the MNT now but I see him developing into a contender in due time.

Calling a 19 year old kid a goof for representing his country [B)]......well played

quote:Originally posted by brandon

Calling a 19 year old kid a goof for representing his country [B)]......well played

you make it seem like i called O'Connor a goof only for accepting the call-up, as opposed to his piss poor play that was painfully noticeable even while being on the worst team in the tourney.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Some of you guys are driving me insane, yes we had a bad tournament but to say that no one has a shot at going to the mens national team is like saying that We should just pack up the next 8 years because we have no one good in our youth system.

We have David Edgar whos on the cusp of a Premier side, yet alot of you guys have hard ons for guys who we havnt seen play for years who played in bundisleague 2.

Pretty much were over reacting at a really really ugly tournament, but there is a future in a few of these kids. I expect Begs, Edgar to be involved with the national team in the next few years. Peters and Johnson need to make another step before we can consider them for the national team.

Good to see the Keays around again - I agree with a lot of your sentiment although can't help but disagree with your comment about Peters - hello, people, this guys IS capped and has already played in a number of high-profile games for us, including WCQ. Many may not like him, and guys like Issey are arguably giving him a real run for his money, but he is most definitely in the mix of our player pool for the next round of qualifiers. He's already played in one round of WCQ - so let's not pretend that he is a dubutante.

With Sutton, Lars and Onstad (maybe)...I can't imagine Begovic being a first, or even second, choice starter.

Well. Lars, while talented and playing regularly at a high level, doesn't accept alot of our calls recently. Onstad is old and although he did well in Gold Cup is done with the MNT. Sutton is decent, but due to club commitments he may not be able to play alot. So that leaves: Stama, Wagenar and Djenkovic??? That's not good. I think he's already better than these three. If Lars won't come for the first Mitchell call, expect to Begovic called in his stead(although likely as a backup). I believe Begovic will be capped, and soon.

Again, let's go back to the last time this happened, 2001, 3 losses, no goals & out, and probably a worse performance in that we lost 3-0 to start the tourney against a crappy Iraqi team that also couldn't qualify for the next round, had few chances & most of the scores flattered us. At that time I can remember many people posting on various boards to be unlikely to make the senior team & would get us nowhere, and Bob Lenarduzzi in particular said on air that it was difficult to see Rob Friend ever playing for the national team. Who made it to the senior team from the 2001 team - Friend, De Guzman, Nsaliwa, Klukowski, Hume, Hutchinson, Pozniak, Braz, Gerba and (briefly) Canizalez (Williams also got one cap if we're keeping score). A good chunk of those players are the ones that made Canada look so good at the Gold Cup & who we are counting on to lead us to 2010.

Bob Lenarduzzi looks like an ass right now for saying that about Rob Friend, and I suspect anybody who writes off the entirety or vast majority of this team on the same basis is also going to look like that in a few years time as well.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

This is more or less how I see it. I think we could still have some surprises, some of the guys people are ruling out may really become something. I mean, do you think their club coaches, the ones who signed them, are totally ignorant?

Just think, Haber turned 18 a few months ago, and is in the Groningen system, JBB is very talented for a kid who is still 18, he is with St. Pauli. KOA is with Hertha and he's still 17, in fact his birthday is next week. Would not be surprised to see all or at least two of these examples making important contributions to our national team in 5-7 years, which is when they should be emerging as solid reliable pros.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Tyson M

Well. Lars, while talented and playing regularly at a high level, doesn't accept alot of our calls recently. Onstad is old and although he did well in Gold Cup is done with the MNT. Sutton is decent, but due to club commitments he may not be able to play alot. So that leaves: Stama, Wagenar and Djenkovic??? That's not good. I think he's already better than these three. If Lars won't come for the first Mitchell call, expect to Begovic called in his stead(although likely as a backup). I believe Begovic will be capped, and soon.

Well reasoned. He is relaxed and mature, and did not get too much help this tournament. I like him, and hope he can get some decent playing time this upcoming season.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Would anybody else agree that KOA could be a big part of the team in a couple of years?? I have been really impressed with him last summer against brazil as well as yesterday. Being only 17, I think he has the most potential of any player on the U-20's.

Agree 100% on potential. Hopefully, he has his head screwed on straight because I think he could be one of the bright lights. I still can't understand why he didn't play in the first 2 games.

Archived