U-20 players with a shot at the Senior side?

Right now I'm thinking the only players with any chance of making the roster for WCQ are Begovic, Edgar and maybe Peters (I'd like to see him with better players around him). In two years time I could honestly see KOA being a starter once he has more experience and two years with Hertha under his belt. The rest of the U-20's can take a hike for all I care.

I'd only take Begovic at this point but I don't think we need to be so hard on the others. If they were our national team I would write them off after those performances, but they're young so still have time to develop at club level and become better players.

Before the tournament I thought that Edgar could have stepped in and been at least a substitute at centre back right away, but I was most definitely not impressed by his play. He is a few years away.

Peters, because of his speed, would be an asset, but probably not as a starter. Will Johnson, also, has some value. I'm not ready to give up on anybody but they could all do with some seasoning.

Begovic looks overrated to me. Good keeper but nowhere near the MNT right now.

I think he looked good in this tournament because of his team play but honestly I haven't seen him making a "big save" in the whole tournament. Also his kicking can be atrocious at times.

I think Johnson, Peters, Edgar, KOA and Begovic have all MNT potential but none are near the top 18 for the exception of Peters (not because of his play during the Cup but because of what we've ssen in the past). Jackson has also a future if he can move up in League play in England.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think he looked good in this tournament because of his team play but honestly I haven't seen him making a "big save" in the whole tournament.

First game against Chile when it was 0-0 (remember those heady optimistic times?): huge save on a corner shot.

Quite a few of them can probably step up at the senior level despite the U20 performance.

It will be different when they get to play with Stalteri, De Guzman, Derosario, and Hutchinson.

But it will take some seasoning at the club level. Right now, Edgar and Peters will be reserve

players; Johnson and Begovic, not too far behind.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't think any of them are ready for the big time - in fact I wonder how somne are holding down fulltime football jobs right now!

It's different at the club level, and will take time for many

of these players. I remember Stalteri used to drive us crazy

with his erratic play in Gold Cup 2000; years later: a German

championship double, playing in the EPL, and captain of our 2007

Gold Cup team. You just never know.

Hard to say. For every Hutch, there's a Belotte. I'm sure we'll see a few of these develop and move up to the senior team. Edgar, Peters, and Begovic are the obvious ones. Maybe JBB as a back up keeper...

Begovic looks overrated to me. Good keeper but nowhere near the MNT right now.

I think he looked good in this tournament because of his team play but honestly I haven't seen him making a "big save" in the whole tournament. Also his kicking can be atrocious at times.

I think Johnson, Peters, Edgar, KOA and Begovic have all MNT potential but none are near the top 18 for the exception of Peters (not because of his play during the Cup but because of what we've ssen in the past). Jackson has also a future if he can move up in League play in England.

Did you actually watch any of the games? Begovic made a handful of world class saves, including the one against Chile, plus a wicked deflection against Austria. Begovic looks like he has what it takes, and he's playing at a decent level.

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

Hard to say. For every Hutch, there's a Belotte.

It's quite difficult to gauge young players: the guys who look like the genuine article sometimes, because of injuries, attitude, or other circumstances, never fulfill that initial promise. I truly hope someone like Peters doesn't fall into that category.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't think any of them are ready for the big time - in fact I wonder how somne are holding down fulltime football jobs right now!

But Richard, you're speaking as if they are. Lumley, Gala and the other TFC reserves aren't surviving on that money. They're part-timers.

I expect that we'll see Begovic called for the Iceland friendly, but I think this is more a function of availability than anything else. Sutton almost certainly won't be there between TFC commitments and his recent injury. Hirschfeld's status with Mitchell is still unknown. Both of those guys may well not be there. There aren't many other options. I think Kenny S. has shown nothing of late to think he's worthy of a call. Wagenaar has been mostly injured, and Onstad is re-retired.

If anyone else from this team is added, I'd be surprised and concerned. Nobody else showed enough to deserve the call, and if they get it I'm going to start worrying about Mitchell's loyalty to "his guys" first.

Jason

None of them deserve to be called to the Senior team as punishment for their horrific showing in this tournament. The key members of this U20 squad should be punished for their poor display. This goes for Edgar as well...he is the golden boy and strikes me as a good young man but he failed to be a leader and had a poor tournament. I am willing to spare some of the younger players for now but they would be on a very short leash too. Failure can not be rewarded in this country any longer. This tournament was a total disaster. The players responsibile need to suffer the consequences.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

None of them deserve to be called to the Senior team as punishment for their horrific showing in this tournament. The key members of this U20 squad should be punished for their poor display. This goes for Edgar as well...he is the golden boy and strikes me as a good young man but he failed to be a leader and had a poor tournament. I am willing to spare some of the younger players for now but they would be on a very short leash too. Failure can not be rewarded in this country any longer. This tournament was a total disaster. The players responsibile need to suffer the consequences.

If anyone on the U20 team that do not deserve to be on the Senior team would be the coach. This talented team reminds me of the U20 in Argentina. Tons of talent but we all knew how PJ F@#$@# it up. Mitchell did the same thing to this team and he definitely does not deserve to coach the men's team.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Did you actually watch any of the games? Begovic made a handful of world class saves, including the one against Chile, plus a wicked deflection against Austria. Begovic looks like he has what it takes, and he's playing at a decent level.

A handfull of WC saves??? Are you kidding me? OK I missed the Austria save, that's one, and maybe one against Chile but calling it WC is exagerated IMO. Also, if we're speaking of guys who are good enough to make the jump to the MNT in the near future I think you have to look at that second goal against Congo as a good indicator that he's not there yet. The ball went through him, all our Senior keepers would've made that save.

I also think that he has what it takes for the next level but not in the short term, that's my point. Far from being a dominant keeper at the U-20 level, so not ready for the MNT IMO.

A lot of these players will get a shot at the senior side in due course, but for the immediate future the ones who will are likely to be the players playing at a good club level & those players that play in positions where we lack the most depth at the senior level or bring something to the team that we don't have much of otherwise (ie. like Peters with speed).

The players who won't see some senior team action for a while are all the younger players who are still eligible for the next U20 players, and the kids playing in colleges. The sooner we get Ricketts out of the college system & into a pro club where he can properly develop some skills, the better.

I wouldn't expect to see any of them in the near future, Mitchell will likely spend his time familiarizing himself with the existing senior team members. Maybe Begovic, Johnson Edgar and Peters at a January camp to see how they work with the older guys. WCQ starts in about a year, not a lot of time for much developement to take place. 2010 is three years away, by then those four should be challenging for spots. As to the rest, a lot can happen in three years, but really they would more likely be considered for 2014. This tournement didn't really spotlight our defenders, but they take longer to develop and we're weak back there, I would expect some of Nana, Lumley, Gala, KOA, Haber, O'Conner, OLL and others to develop and challenge for spots just not likely this go around.

Peters isn't even that good. He just has speed, that's it. His first touch is horrible and when he's dribbling, he kicks the ball too far up and loses it. Unless he can develop good dribbling and ball control, I don't see him doing good. This guy ain't Marc Overmars that's for sure.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Peters isn't even that good. He just has speed, that's it. His first touch is horrible and when he's dribbling, he kicks the ball too far up and loses it. Unless he can develop good dribbling and ball control, I don't see him doing good. This guy ain't Marc Overmars that's for sure.

I wasn't impressed by Peters in this tournament, but I think he is a good player. Ipswich is an upper-CCC side and he was named as one of their best players this season by the fans, who had more opportunities to watch Jaime than we did. He is still young, and has blazing speed, which is something you can't teach, and a good crossing ability. We could use that with the MNT.

I think you raise the key point. It is not where they are today but how they develop over the next few years.

I don't think any supplant our MNT regulars at the moment.

If Johnson and Peters plays regularly with their clubs (Dutch Eredivisie and CCC in England) I think they'll be in the players pool next year.

Archived