Linford: Admits need to improve scouting

Chuck

An article about Fernandes (sorry) that has Colin Linford admitting that they have to do a better job of scouting young talent before they get the chance to represent another country.

Link

Terry Bell, CanWest News Service

Published: Friday, July 06, 2007 Article tools

Printer friendly

Font: * * * * VANCOUVER - Vancouver-raised goalkeeper Daniel Fernandes's soccer career took a dramatic turn last month.

The 23-year-old played for Portugal's national team in a 1-1 tie against Al-Salmiyah of Kuwait in a friendly.

"It was a great feeling, a good step," said Fernandes, who is back home visiting family and friends in Vancouver. "Hopefully there will be more opportunities and I just have to keep working hard for the next one. My focus now is to become the No. 1 goalkeeper for Portugal."

So Fernandes, a kid from Vancouver, is the third-ranked goalkeeper for the world's No.-7 ranked team. Which of course begs the question ... why isn't the Edmonton-born Vancouverite playing for Canada?

It's Owen Hargreaves all over again. Calgary's Hargreaves was considered England's top player in the 2006 World Cup.

"I tried playing for Canada," said the 6-foot-3 Fernandes, who was with the Canadian under-19 and under-18 programs. FIFA eligibility rules say that once a player plays internationally for a country he must remain with that country.

"I love Canada but my job is my job," said Fernandes, who now plays club soccer for PAOK in Greece. "The only time I got called by Canada was when I was in PAOK. I had Portugal calling for four or five months straight. My family is Portuguese and I had a chance and I went.

"I don't have any regrets. I know I have Canadian in me and I totally respect that and I love Canada but I love my (Portuguese) blood, too. It moves both ways.

"What can I do? I get called by the Portuguese national team all the time and nothing from Canada. If you were in my situation you'd do the same thing. Maybe if Canada had called me, maybe it would have been a different story."

News of Fernandes's game in Kuwait doesn't do wonders for Colin Linford's mood. He's the president of the Canadian Soccer Association.

"It's something we have to address at the younger ages," he said. "We're obviously not recognizing a lot of these players. The more you see of Canada and its different nationalities, the more it becomes obvious that there is a stream out there of Mexican-Canadians, Brazilian-Canadians and we don't seem to be able to get into those areas to really look at what they have and convince them to play for Canada.

"A lot of these kids don't register with the national organizations, they tend to go out and play on their own. We don't get an opportunity to see them. We have to start sending some people into these areas so we can recognize these kids and bring them into our program or else they just run their own program."

Fernandes came in in the 65th minute in Kuwait. He gave up the goal.

Right now he sees himself as Portugal's third keeper behind Ricardo Pereira, the 31-year-old from Sporting Club Lisbon, and 32-year-old Joaquim Sampio (Quim) of Benfica.

He's on contract to PAOK for four more years but there's been interest from Benfica and teams in Germany, England and Spain. Chelsea is one club rumoured to be interested in his services. But for now he's happy where he is.

"I like the team very much," he said of PAOK. "It's a powerful club with great fans."

Maybe owen and he should should get together and tell the world how Canada mistreated them and this is the way to get back. Yes their job is oversea but don't ever state this for turning your back to the mouth that fed you. Remember what Kennedy said "don't ask what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country". And I guess when Portugal and Canada play you would refer all your Canadian

friends to boo Canada and cheer for "Your Ego" Since you are only the 3rd best there. Maybe even 4th.....

quote:Originally posted by Chuck

News of Fernandes's game in Kuwait doesn't do wonders for Colin Linford's mood. He's the president of the Canadian Soccer Association.

"It's something we have to address at the younger ages," he said. "We're obviously not recognizing a lot of these players. The more you see of Canada and its different nationalities, the more it becomes obvious that there is a stream out there of Mexican-Canadians, Brazilian-Canadians and we don't seem to be able to get into those areas to really look at what they have and convince them to play for Canada.

"A lot of these kids don't register with the national organizations, they tend to go out and play on their own. We don't get an opportunity to see them. We have to start sending some people into these areas so we can recognize these kids and bring them into our program or else they just run their own program."

They only realize this NOW?

And maybe these kids who don't register with the national organizations are the ones with the skills because they're playing soccer for fun.

just a thought

how can prospect of future u-17 teams benefit from the CSA building a training centre in Africa?

with the cost of living being lower than in Canada and lets the kids play amongst the locals on a daily basis they sure will adopt some of free flowing style of African football and enjoy playing the game in a different way.

building a sport/etude centre equipped with fieldturf would probably cost much far less than having the same in Canada plus it a yr around centre and arrange matches against top clubs and nations around the area could be a semi monthly thing.

the two yrs spent over there will bring a different brand of soccer from the typical concacaf style.

judge by the fact that all the African teams has booked their place in the round of 16 by finishing 2nd in their corresponding group sure worth considering.

or at the very least use one of the goal project facility available on the continent.

we need to do something radical to get this sport out the rot once and for all.

Mauritius was just an example as to show that Africa is not such a bad place as some peoples might beleive.

it could be a viable solution for the up and coming players.

a continent with the love of the game and a culture for the game that is present in the daily life of kids.

we send our kids over there for all kind of cultural exchange so why not benefit from their soccer culture.

centre could be under the administration of CSA staff and use for short term and long term training base for oue various CSA teams.

Guest Jeffery S.

Dani was close to being capped. This article is terrible in that they don't even mention he played for Canada in many matches, though never in an official one. Basically zero background, it is like someone told the journalist he was playing at a good level, and gee, yeah, sure, I'll talk to him.

In a vacuum.

If Betis signs Ricardo from Sporting I wonder if there might be a late transfer in store for Dani to Lisbon.

Archived