Stephen Hart for head coach!

cocabean13

Follow the poor performance from the U20 team in the first two games, one has to wonder if Dale Mitchell was the right selection for the Senior men's coaching position. Stephen Hart did a terrific job at the Gold Cup tornament and had a decent friendly against Venezuela. One has to wonder if the CSA jumped to conclusions too soon?

quote:Originally posted by cocabean13

Follow the poor performance from the U20 team in the first two games, one has to wonder if Dale Mitchell was the right selection for the Senior men's coaching position. Stephen Hart did a terrific job at the Gold Cup tornament and had a decent friendly against Venezuela. One has to wonder if the CSA jumped to conclusions too soon?

[:0] As if 13 monthes was too short a time to replace Yallop?!

But yea, Hart looks good right about now. The embarrassing performance thusfar by our U20's is pretty shocking. Someone mentioned earlier that the similarities between the thrashing was took from Chile this year and the thrashing we took from Columbia in '05. Only difference is this time we had 2 full years to prepare, and we were playing at home on Canada day. Disgraceful!

I really don't understand this, Hart has been completely unsuccessful in guiding the U17 team throughout many attempts at qualifying, the guy wins 2 games at the Gold Cup and all of the sudden people think he' some coaching god. Is it possible we could of done well at the Gold Cup because we've finally got some talented players gelling together? Mitchell has done a good job with U20 throughout the years until the last 2 games, I'd like to think he's at least earned a shot with national team so lets give him a chance. Yes Mitchell has probably made some mistakes here, but I honestly think our country's most talented under 20 players don't match up with the talented youngsters of other countries in this tourney, maybe it's just a bad cycle or bad development from our ground level, but clearly we are behind the rest of these countries.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I really don't understand this, Hart has been completely unsuccessful in guiding the U17 team throughout many attempts at qualifying, the guy wins 2 games at the Gold Cup and all of the sudden people think he' some coaching god.

That explains the situation exactly.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I really don't understand this, Hart has been completely unsuccessful in guiding the U17 team throughout many attempts at qualifying, the guy wins 2 games at the Gold Cup and all of the sudden people think he' some coaching god. Is it possible we could of done well at the Gold Cup because we've finally got some talented players gelling together? Mitchell has done a good job with U20 throughout the years until the last 2 games, I'd like to think he's at least earned a shot with national team so lets give him a chance. Yes Mitchell has probably made some mistakes here, but I honestly think our country's most talented under 20 players don't match up with the talented youngsters of other countries in this tourney, maybe it's just a bad cycle or bad development from our ground level, but clearly we are behind the rest of these countries.

You can put down Hart all you want, but he got the results where it counted and to top it all, he did knowing he was just interim coach. Hart deserves a chance to continue with the team more so than Mitchel.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

You can put down Hart all you want, but he got the results where it counted and to top it all, he did knowing he was just interim coach. Hart deserves a chance to continue with the team more so than Mitchel.

On what basis? A semifinal appearance in a tournament everyone concedes is not a top priority for CONCACAF teams? Mitchell hasn't yet had the opportunity to coach a Gold Cup and has been a better youth coach than Hart has been with the U17s. Having them work together with Mitchell in the lead role seems the right decision given the exclusion of a man like Simoes.

I totally agree Hart is the better choice, of the two... However, to take it away from Hart for the short coming would not be fair as he has been impressive at times with his style of coaching, and I really enjoyed watching the Gold Cup. It was good soccer Canada played and good coaching he a deserves that opportunity for the short haul thou.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

If he fails, then it should be Hart's turn.

I disagree. If he fails, we should bring in fresh blood (i.e., the 2010 equivalent of Rene Simones).

But I do agree that Mitchell should see this through. Hopefully Hart (being his assistant) will remind him to stay out of the way of the players.

What is an U17 coach job. Not to find players and groom them for the U20, especially when Canada spends so little on these teams. How many u17 tournaments has Italy been in or England or France or Holland and they spend millions on youth

The last time canada qualified for an U17, who was coach? Where are those players now. Hargraves for England (and he was cut) and as far as I know none for Canada. Was that money well spent? Was that good scouting?

Archived