Canadians abroad: July 6-12, 2007

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Since soccerTV.com no longer serves Canada, I will no longer be compiling a "Canadians abroad on TV this week" list.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 6-12, 2007.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Friend lands job with German club

Reuters News Service

Kelowna soccer product Rob Friend, seen playing here with Canada’s national team, will play pro soccer this season in Germany after being sold to Borussia by Dutch league team, SC Heerenveen.

By Warren Henderson

Staff Reporter

Jul 06 2007

Fatigued but still focused after a whirlwind month of traveling, Rob Friend is right where he wants to be.

The 26-year-old Kelowna product is in Austria this week training with Borussia Mönchengladbach, one of the largest soccer clubs in Germany.

The German team recently bought Friend from SC Heerenveen in Holland’s premier league and promptly signed the 6-foot-4 striker to a three-year contract.

Borussia slipped out of Germany’s premier league (Bundesligia) at the end of last season and has been relegated to the second division.

Acquiring Friend is part of Borussia’s master plan to earn its way back into the country’s elite league.

“That’s been my goal for a long time to play professionally in either Germany of England at the top level, and I’m almost there,” Friend said this week from Austria.

“It’s unfortunate they were knocked out of the first league, but the soccer is still really competitive in the second league. They’re asking me to help them get back there, so I’m going to do my best. This is a huge move for me.”

Borussia Mönchengladbach is the fourth largest soccer club in all of Germany. The club regularly plays in front of 50,000 to 60,000 fans in its relatively-new home stadium which was built in 2004.

Friend landed with the German club after a season of playing pro in Holland. He began 2006 with Heerenveen where he scored five goals in 19 games, then was loaned to Heracles where he finished the season on a strong note with three goals and five assists in 12 games.

Still, the somewhat laid-back style of play in Holland didn’t exactly cater to Friend’s strengths.

There should be no such concern playing in Germany where the Borussia squad has asked Friend to go out and play his own game.

“They play more of an attack-oriented, more direct style and that fits with my game,” Friend explained. “The (Borussia) coach scouted me well and knows how I like to play and what my assets are. He wants the team to play that way too.”

Friend is in the midst of his first week of training and adapting to his new club as Borussia prepares for the start of the 2007 regular season on Aug. 13.

Friend is also doing his best to get settled after a hectic schedule of the past few weeks.

After playing for Canada at the Gold Cup in Florida, getting married in Los Angeles to his new bride Mari, honeymooning in Tahiti, and reporting for his new job, Friend said he’s focused the challenge ahead of him.

And with four years of professional soccer behind him, Friend feels he’s ready to take the next big step in his career.

“I felt like a really learned a lot last year and now hopefully I’m going to be able to use that experience as an advantage,” said Friend, who also played pro for three seasons in Norway.

“Every year you get better with the level of competition you see.

“They (Borussia) have invested a lot in me and I’m going to do everything I can to make sure they get their value.”

In MLS, Pat Onstad played 90 minutes, Dwayne De Rosario was subbed out in the 72nd after picking up a yellow earlier, as Houston Dynamo win 1-0 against DC United to go unbeaten in 8 matches.

Ante Jazic played the whole match yesterday for LA Galaxy. Harmse hasn't been dressed the last few matches, does anybody know if he's injured, or is Yallop clearing a spot for Beckham?

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

In MLS, Pat Onstad played 90 minutes, Dwayne De Rosario was subbed out in the 72nd after picking up a yellow earlier, as Houston Dynamo win 1-0 against DC United to go unbeaten in 8 matches.

Ante Jazic played the whole match yesterday for LA Galaxy. Harmse hasn't been dressed the last few matches, does anybody know if he's injured, or is Yallop clearing a spot for Beckham?

Check out under injuries.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/t106/news/

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Klukowski played 90 as Brugges lost 1-0 to Torhout.

http://www.clubbrugge.be/nieuws/fr/?a=nieuws&id=2610

Koln and 1860 played friendlies yesterday as well, any word on how/if the Canucks played?

McKenna started and played 63 minutes in FC Koln's 2-0 friendly win over Trier.

http://www.fc-koeln.de/index.php?id=5801

Ledgerwood entered in the 60th minute of 1860 Munich's 5-1 friendly loss against Wolfsburg, when the score was already 4-1. The player he came on for was lined up in the midfield.

http://www.tsv1860.de/?id=150&news_id=7949&back_id=122&offset=&limit=

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Jazic dreadfully headed back to the keeper and ended up costing LA a goal. (Not again!)

Jazic played the whole game as LA Galaxy loses 1-0 in the US Open Cup to Richmond Kickers.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20070711&content_id=104655&vkey=pr_lag&fext=.jsp&team=t106

Gordon Chin does virtually the same plays 90 but on the other side of the upset, picking up a yellow as his Charleston Battery knock Houstan Dynamo out of the US Cup. Hughes and Bennett also added a helping hand. Nice attention, including a pic, for Chin here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/4958269.html

quote:Originally posted by masster

Jazic dreadfully headed back to the keeper and ended up costing LA a goal. (Not again!)

This was really a keeper error though. The keeper should have had that ball and completely bobbled it. You can question if he should have headed it back in that position in the sense that if the keeper totally screws up it is a goal which is what happened. However, it was an easy ball to handle and the keeper totally screwed up.

quote:Originally posted by Gaucho

Friend came on at halftime and scored a goal off a header from a free kick from Oliver Neuville in a friendly.

Wow....I haven't yet quite got used to the concept of seeing our player's names listed alongside stars from the previous two World Cups....

Archived