When do the 2010 WCQ begin?

PunjabiOil

Any idea when the pool draw will begin? When the games will officially begin?

Hopefully this time around, we get to see games LIVE rather than on tape delay, or not on at all.

Any idea of the venues? Last time it was Kingston twice, Burnaby twice, and Edmonton. More games would have been played if the team advanced to semi's.

Since then, FIFA has approved field turf, so I'd imagine

Burnaby, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal?

Ottawa with a friendly?

Last time around it was like this:

Preliminary, Round 1 was in February & March (we got a pass through this round)

Preliminary, Round 2 was in June (we beat Belize to advance to semis)

Semi-final round dates were: August 18, September 4 & 8, October 9 & 13 & November 17 (we didn't advance beyond that)

If we had advanced instead of the Guats we might have had a schedule like their's: February 9, March 26 & 30, June 4 & 8, August 17, September 3 & 7, October 8 & 12.

So, I would say its likely to start June 2008 and finish October 2009.

"The draw for the main 2010 World Cup qualifying groups will be held in Durban, South Africa on November 25, 2007"

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Try Toronto, Toronto, Toronto, Toronto,

Toronto with a friendly

This is correct. The CSA signed an agreement with MLSE to play ~8 games a year at BMO Field. Add to this that the CSA got 70% of the financing to build the place. Why would they then play at another place?

Toronto Toronto Toronto

quote:Originally posted by boban1

This is correct. The CSA signed an agreement with MLSE to play ~8 games a year at BMO Field. Add to this that the CSA got 70% of the financing to build the place. Why would they then play at another place?

Please don't mind me interrupting the Western Canadian bashing of Toronto as it is such a fresh and new idea, but the deal was for 6 CSA games per year, which can include any age group.

Will we see more games in Toronto than in the past? Absolutely.

Will everyone else get the shaft in regards to national team matches? I doubt it, especially if the other provincial associations have anything to say about it.

Will Vancouver get a WCQ on a Wednesday during the Euro season, forcing our own players to travel much, much farther than the opponents? Knowing the CSA, probably.

Now carry on... [8)]

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Please don't mind me interrupting the Western Canadian bashing of Toronto as it is such a fresh and new idea, but the deal was for 6 CSA games per year, which can include any age group.

Will we see more games in Toronto than in the past? Absolutely.

Will everyone else get the shaft in regards to national team matches? I doubt it, especially if the other provincial associations have anything to say about it.

Will Vancouver get a WCQ on a Wednesday during the Euro season, forcing our own players to travel much, much farther than the opponents? Knowing the CSA, probably.

Now carry on... [8)]

I think you are being a little defensive Rudi. I was not "bashing" TO, in fact TO did an awesome job at the Canada-Argentina match when you guys got 103 like for TFC games (or is it 113?).

TO now has the best venue to host MNT games, as well as good fan support. I would actually have little problem with TO hosting all WCQ games, although, being from Vancouver, that travel would kinda suck!

Also, I don't think boban1 was bashing TO either.

Get yer finger off the trigger!;)

Guest speedmonk42

It all comes down to fan support, and I don't mean total numbers, but numbers of a specific kind.

If the Canadian fans can own the south end, show people how to have fun it will grow.

Unlike TFC were they are stuck on season ticket sales, the southside could grow with every canada match. In order for that to happen we need a run of games there.

I am from Vancouver, and from what I have seen in 113, I say give them the time (and if they ever get permission), to change soccer in Canada more than anything else could at this point.

If you want to see rapid change in Canadian soccer fill the south end of BMO with kind of support TFC is getting.

That will put a different team on the field faster than ANYTHING.

Here: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendarlive/intl_mc_fifa_2006_2008_en_7920.pdf and

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendarlive/intl_mc_fifa_2008_2014_en_1762.pdf

Is the Fifa Calender. Combining this and the last cycle I predict the schedule will be:

Preliminary Round:

Round 1: Feb 6 2008, and March 26 2008 (Allthough they are Friendly Match days its all there is that time of year)

Round 2: Sometime durring Euro 2008, Month of June 2008

Semifinal Round:

Game 1: Aug 20, 2008

Games 2+3: Sept 6-10, 2008

Games 4+5: Oct 11-15, 2008

Game 6: Nov 19, 2008

Final Round

Games 1+2: Mar 28 - Apr 1, 2009

Games 3+4: Jun 6-10, 2009

Note: Confederations Cup June 14, 2009 to June 28, 2009

Note:Gold Cup sometime around here

Games 5+6: Sept 5-9, 2009