Dale Mitchell, I'm starting to worry

Yeah, that is one of the best articles I've read--very realistic and informed.

Which brings to mind this solution, something I've been drumming up these past few weeks. It is probably not new, and it will be met with criticism, political at times, sensible at others, but I think it makes sense considering our realities.

We should set up a developmental league in BC's lower mainland, where the 180 best players in the country--not attached to a club--in each age group 14 - 18, live, go to school, and play and practice football every day. One team could be situated in Victoria, one in Nanaimo, one in Vancouver, another in Burnaby, North Van, Surrey, Coquitlam, Abottsford etc. 6 - 10 teams per age group. I say the Lower Mainland--and Island--simply because of climate, nothing else. You can play soccer pretty much year round here, though midwinter is damned soggy. This would be an elite program, would make scouting easier, would do much to focus on high level training, and would provide the players with good competition. Perhaps games with metro all-star teams--older divisions--could be arranged, as well as games with academies or US-based programs in Seattle.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived