Scotland & British roots

ANC2

After watching the Scottish team play one cannot help but reflect on what their influence has or had on Canada soccer. Almost everyone involved (Provincial coaching staff & technical directors) is either Scottish or English. Scotland does not have one player worth watching.

Just as the Nigerian crowd cheers for skill & flaire, the Scottish crowd cheers for tackles nd encourages "get stuck in".

No doubt our young players are influenced by this attitude :(

Guest Jeffery S.

C'mon, Scotland did great to qualify. They are a tiny country. If their keeping was half decent they'd be doing better too.

I had a Scottish coach all my kid soccer years. He was kind, respectful, serious, but was useless at skills. But we had fun, and he was incredibly dedicated. One guy I played with went on to play pro indoor. I was one of the worst players until I hit 13 and discovered I was fast, so maybe the others learnt more.

All I would ask for is a bit more an international take from any coach, to not be dogmatic about a style, and to work on basics. Don't care what the nationality is.

"round up all Scottish and English Canadians and exterminate them."

Fine, I'm gone then. We can found the "Get stuck in, Stay on your feet and act like a man" World Cup where diving is punishable by immediate expulsion and two days in the public stockade and any player feigning injury is detained after the match and injured in the manner he was feigning by a lucky member of the audience, to be selected by random draw. So for example the Portugese who acted liked he got stamped on the balls last World Cup actually gets stamped on the balls...and you get to do the stamping!

"Get Stuck In" World Cup

Scotland

England

Canada

Ireland (unified)

Australia

New Zealand

"Skill and Flair" V's "Get stuck in"

I'd prefer a combination of both styles without the fake diving contests. By the way the refs and rulemakers have to clamp down even harder on the cheats. Automatic red card if its a dive in the area or around the 18 yard box. Is it just me but aren't the "Beckhamesque" goals from free kicks becoming just a tad boring and predictable.

I do think there is some truth in what the original poster says though.

quote:Originally posted by bingham

"Skill and Flair" V's "Get stuck in"

I'd prefer a combination of both styles without the fake diving contests. By the way the refs and rulemakers have to clamp down even harder on the cheats. Automatic red card if its a dive in the area or around the 18 yard box. Is it just me but aren't the "Beckhamesque" goals from free kicks becoming just a tad boring and predictable.

I do think there is some truth in what the original poster says though.

Exactly. Just because I don't condone diving, it doesn't mean I want to see us kick the crap out of the opposition (which seems to be everyone's counter-arguement). It's not one or the other. There are those of us who want to see skillful soccer without the diving and play-acting.

quote:Originally posted by canso

"round up all Scottish and English Canadians and exterminate them."

Fine, I'm gone then. We can found the "Get stuck in, Stay on your feet and act like a man" World Cup where diving is punishable by immediate expulsion and two days in the public stockade and any player feigning injury is detained after the match and injured in the manner he was feigning by a lucky member of the audience, to be selected by random draw. So for example the Portugese who acted liked he got stamped on the balls last World Cup actually gets stamped on the balls...and you get to do the stamping!

"Get Stuck In" World Cup

Scotland

England

Canada

Ireland (unified)

Australia

New Zealand

I hope you understand that my comment was intended as sarcasm as I was born in England myself. It really seems that it's open season on the British here sometimes. Obviously all anglos are to blame for the shape that Canadian soccer is in <-more sarcasm.

Archived