TFC vs. RSL (R)

georg

Samuel's late penalty kick leads Toronto FC past Real Salt Lake 2-1

http://www.therecord.com/sports/soccer/R070519AU.html

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Collin Samuel scored on a penalty kick in the 79th minute to help Toronto FC beat Real Salt Lake 2-1 Wednesday night.

Samuel's goal, his first in two games with Toronto, came after Jeff Cunningham and Alecko Eskandarian both scored against their former teams. "I think it was coming," Samuel said. "I'm just happy to get it on the road."

Cunningham struck first for Toronto FC (5-7-2) in the 19th minute. The goal was the sixth of the season for Cunningham, who was traded by Real Salt Lake (1-6-6) for Eskandarian in May.

"He's been great," Toronto coach Mo Johnston said of Cunningham. "He already has three goals for us and could possibly have seven or eight. He creates goals, you guys have seen him often enough. We love having him here because he's a major threat all the time."

Samuel, from Trinidad and Tobago, was signed in late June by Johnston shortly after he finished his contract with Dundee United of the Scottish Premier League.

Eskandarian scored on a penalty in the 45th minute after being taken down in the box moments earlier. It was Eskandarian's first goal with RSL, and his second of the season.

Eskandarian nearly put Salt Lake ahead in the 68th minute but his point-blank shot was saved by Toronto FC goalkeeper Sam Reynolds. Reynolds finished with four saves before being subbed out of the game in the 85th minute.

Jamie Watson nearly tied the game for RSL in the 86th minute, but his shot hit the crossbar. After losing its first four games, Toronto FC is unbeaten in seven of its last 10 games.

© The Canadian Press, 2007

That was one of the roughest most undisicplined games I've seen.....

As a hockey puck I loved it [B)]

What muscle would Reynolds have pulled in the upper fore leg? I don't believe I've ever seen anyone hold their upper leg in the front like that before?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

That was one of the roughest most undisicplined games I've seen.....

As a hockey puck I loved it [B)]

What muscle would Reynolds have pulled in the upper fore leg? I don't believe I've ever seen anyone hold their upper leg in the front like that before?

One of the quadricep muscles. I did something similar about 10 years ago, kicked a ball hard in warmups without stretching much. I pulled the muscle, which is essentially a minor tear, but it was a nag for weeks...looks like he tore the muscle pretty bad if he's out for 6-8 weeks...

That was an ugly game. Exactly what you might expect in a match up between an expansion team and the worst team in the league. The substitute Watson was unlucky not to score on his several chances. TFC had one really nice stretch of play early in the 2nd half but most of the game was pretty scrambly.

Archived