Soccer in the media...the other side of the coin

I cover a lot of lacrosse in my current job. I came across this today, which made me think of all the "media is out to get us" conspiracy theorists on here.

The grass is always greener...

From here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/333879/

quote:

Well lacrosse fans, I did it. I got it off my chest.

I have been a slow burn watching the CBC's love affair with the Toronto FC..........(Footballio Club).

This was brewing for a while. When I am out of Canada I try to find National Lacrosse League scores, or articles on the CBC's sport webpage. I would have better luck in finding Tiddleywink competitions.

Today, the CBC website took me over the top. The CBC found a town in BC......Comebybucket or whatever, and featured it on their website. A town which is gagga over soccer.

Imagine that. A town which is crazy over soccer.

Well, fans......here is the letter I wrote in response.

There. I got it off my chest, and I feel better already.

Congratulations to the CBC, for finding a Canadian soccer community to support its creation of a new Canadian sports myth.

Lacrosse as Canada's national sport? Phoo says the CBC. That's yesterday's story.

What should it matter that for every town like Comebybucket, Newfoundland where soccer is the big game -that there are dozens of towns where lacrosse is the big game in town.

Check out Peterborough, Ontario - where 2,700 sat in on their Laker lacrosse game last week.

Check out the fact that Canada produces the best lacrosse players in the world. Players who are actively recruited and who figure prominently among NCAA tier one university lacrosse teams in the USA.

Check out the fact that Canada has a history which is steeped in lacrosse.

Check out the fact that Parlaiment has called it our national sumemrtime sport.

It matters little to the CBC.

The website ignores NLL (National Lacrosse League scores and articles).

The website ignores Canadian Senior Lacrosse games.

As for Television coverage......well, if its a world championship game such as Canada vs America, and the game is on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.........then it might be presented on the tube.

We are seeing a national sports myth being driven with two big Canadian cities, Toronto and Vancouver at the helm and the CBC beating the drum.

What hurts so painfully, is the fact that my Canada has a tradition and history in lacrosse, and that my radio never leaves the CBC.

It seems strange to see your mother having one drink too many and wobbling down the street with her arm wrapped around Gino's waist.

quote:

Check out the fact that Parlaiment has called it our national sumemrtime sport.

I suspect this is more for historical reasons (ie first nations played "lacrosse") rather than public interest or participation. In both cases and I'd say soccer > lacrosse.

But I agree with Gian-Luca, every sport has it's whiners. In fact people even sometimes whine that hockey doesn't get enough coverage. It's strange but I have found myself listening to the radio on the drive home and saying things like "why aren't they talking about the Canucks?!".

With soccer though I guess the contrast with how immensely popular it is in the rest of the world (in the media) kinda gives us "soccer whiners" even more ammunition...

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Seriously though. Have you seen the colour of the carpet/floor/playing surface on the lacrosse telecasts? They make it look like crap.

[johntv]

It's called white balance my friend the Lacrosse media are doing everything they can to ruin our game - marktci they will not be taken seriously until they can fix this problem it only costs $10 to correct i am very upset about this. in Europe the lacrosse turf is a brighter green, very crisp but anyways what do you expect with those yahoos at the star. i will have to talk with them i once had lunch with mary ormsby but now she hates me becuase i like lacrosse - its always been like this but they cannot stop us the beautiful game will become top sport in canada whether they like it or not...

[/johntv]

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

[johntv]

It's called white balance my friend the Lacrosse media are doing everything they can to ruin our game - marktci they will not be taken seriously until they can fix this problem it only costs $10 to correct i am very upset about this. in Europe the lacrosse turf is a brighter green, very crisp but anyways what do you expect with those yahoos at the star. i will have to talk with them i once had lunch with mary ormsby but now she hates me becuase i like lacrosse - its always been like this but they cannot stop us the beautiful game will become top sport in canada whether they like it or not...

[/johntv]

Brilliant.

Come on guys this is silly stuff and diverting this very serious subject. If he has this feeling about lacross I don't think that this way of handling this is very mature at all. let's discuss what he feels and leave that white balance out. I recommend you start a pi... on john tv thread that makes a lot more sense but again leave him out. Capice.

Well, when lacrosse runs an international tournament in Canada that sells well over a million tickets and is watched on TV by almost a billion people around the world I think there will be plenty of attention paid it by the CBC.

Well, when lacrosse runs an international tournament in Canada that sells well over a million tickets and is watched on TV by almost a billion people around the world I think there will be plenty of attention paid it by the CBC.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Agreed.

According to a Toronto Star article today, the Austria-Congo match had a rating of 280,000. Those are great numbers for a sporting event. It also proves that all this coverage is warranted.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/232922

I would really like to see what the numbers have been for the Canada games.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Come on guys this is silly stuff and diverting this very serious subject. If he has this feeling about lacross I don't think that this way of handling this is very mature at all. let's discuss what he feels and leave that white balance out. I recommend you start a pi... on john tv thread that makes a lot more sense but again leave him out. Capice.

Sorry John, i couldn't help myself. I see a joke and i have to go for it...

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Agreed.

According to a Toronto Star article today, the Austria-Congo match had a rating of 280,000. Those are great numbers for a sporting event. It also proves that all this coverage is warranted.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/232922

I would really like to see what the numbers have been for the Canada games.

Perhaps an email sent to Zelkovich would prompt him to include those numbers in a futre column.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Perhaps an email sent to Zelkovich would prompt him to include those numbers in a futre column.

I have been corresponding with Chris over the past 2 years. This was done to ensure that we would get the proper attention. Well he still flunked the test.He is not a soccer guy and in fact he loves baseball.

You can call him he is at the Star every day just let him know that we need a lot more exposure on the various soccer games and certainly this tournament. I become old hat and even a pest although he always returns my call or e-mail. He is quite decent that way.

Archived