SVEN WILL SPEND, SPEND, SPEND

georg

SVEN WILL SPEND, SPEND, SPEND

Thursday July 5,2007

By Richard Tanner

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/12401/Sven-will-spend,-spend,-spend

Sven-Goran Eriksson wants 10 new players as he prepares to start the most spectacular transfer merry-go-round in Manchester City’s history.

After only his first day as manager, the Swede is acutely aware that he needs a major influx of stars – and a clearout of deadwood – to achieve new owner Thaksin Shinawatra’s demand of a top-six finish.

Eriksson met with outgoing chairman John Wardle along with City’s chief executive Alistair MacIntosh yesterday, and thrashed out plans to spend a £50million transfer war chest on two strikers, a pair of wide men, two central midfielders, two full-backs, a central defender and a keeper.

He was all smiles with the players yesterday, shaking the hand of each of them and assuring them they would all start with a clean slate. But he will show a ruthless streak over the weeks to come as he attempts to justify his £2.5m salary.

It is six years since Eriksson, 57, was in charge of a club and he knows this is likely to be his last chance – certainly in the Premiership – if he cannot make a success of it. The Swede is determined to show a sceptical public just why he got the England job.

But the sale of two of City’s best players, Sylvain Distin and Joey Barton, has left a huge dent.

The only players who look to have any sort of future under Eriksson are Richard Dunne, goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson and forwards Emile Mpenza and Darius Vassell, along with Nedum Onuoha, England star Micah Richards and midfielder Michael Johnson.

City’s longest-serving player Nicky Weaver, who rejected a new one-year deal, has already become the first to go.

The keeper last night wrapped up a free transfer to Charlton. Didi Hamann, Ousmane Dabo, Sun Jihai, Bernardo Corradi, Paul Dickov, Georgios Samaras and Danny Mills are also likely to leave.

after last years failure to score a goal at home for months

i hope we give sven a free rein to build a squad worthy of citys massive support

everyone knows hes only at c.o.m for the money but if he leaves a good squad all well and good

im easily pleased so long as we beat united twice and win a cup ill be happy

Holy ****. Sven and Thaksin together? In one company? All I can say is please sign the whore and endorse bad weather so everything I hate can be wrapped up in a single entity for more convenient voodoo dolling.

Holy ****. Sven and Thaksin together? In one company? All I can say is please sign the whore and endorse bad weather so everything I hate can be wrapped up in a single entity for more convenient voodoo dolling.

As someone who has lived in Thailand for three years I have to ask; What the hell was the Man City Board thinking in accepting Thaksin's bid? What a joke?

Its funny how Man U fans protested against the Glazers buying the team, despite the fact they are legit businessmen, while Man City fans gladly accept ownership by a man who is 100 percent corrupt, a human rights abuser, wanted for trial in Thailand, faces extradition, and who is using their team as a PR exercise in order to maintain his base of supporters in Rural (soccer mad) Thailand.

quote:

Its funny how Man U fans protested against the Glazers buying the team, despite the fact they are legit businessmen, while Man City fans gladly accept ownership by a man who is 100 percent corrupt, a human rights abuser, wanted for trial in Thailand, faces extradition, and who is using their team as a PR exercise in order to maintain his base of supporters in Rural (soccer mad) Thailand.

I'm a City fan and you're bang on. He's dodgy at best, and a criminal against humanity at worst, if the allegations are true. I don't see any way this ends well, regardless of the results on the field. It makes a complete joke of the "Fit & Proper Person" sharade in the FA.

Thaksin is definitely a criminal as I'm sure City fans will discover (though hopefully not the hard way). His "anti-narcotics" murder campaign got him on the Amnesty international watch list. He sold the country's telecomm satellites to Singapore, compromising the country's millitary communications as well as face in the region. His support in rural Thailand is due mostly to his vote buying, or no I'm sorry, "government aid" to village heads which conveniently trickles down to the man in the rice paddy (when opposition spoke out calling this spending tax money on buying votes, he cleverly stated "If you vote against me you vote against my aid program"). Anyways I'm sure several of us could go on all day about this A-hole and what he's done to screw his own country. Thaksin, Jack Warner and Sepp should get along just fine.

Archived