Ray Hudson

bingham

Anyone watching the Copa America on GOL TV?? Although he is totally biased towards the USA, I think Ray Hudson is easily the most entertaining colour man dealing with football on this side of the Atlantic, both funny and at times over the top. Great Stuff!!

I guess my thing about Ray Hudson is that he is refreshingly different than any of the North American commentators, he speaks his mind, often hilariously, sounds like he really loves the game. The rest are bland. However I think Craig Forrest is improving all the time and is definately not afraid to speak his mind.

Back during the WC 86 Tommy Docherty was on TSN during the pre/post match and half time segments and he was a hoot! Hudson is from a similar, out spoken vein as the Doc but too often he sounds like he's on the cusp of a seizure or coronary whereas the legendary, wife-stealing Scot was a little more subdued. I tend to like the dead pan delivery better.

I remember "The Doc" being on TSN..Great stuff!!!

Didn't Doc manage an incredible amount of teams, some for incredibly shorts spells?? A lovely man, although Laurie Brown probably doesn't think so!!

I think Ray Hudson has been overhere since the early 80's at least, played a couple of seasons with Newcastle and then fled to the NASL, has coached in the MLS too, probably didn't coach the game as well as he talks it. I think he is great, has waaay too much enthusiasm but thats what makes him so entertaining. Last nights display by Argentina against Mexico was brilliant and almost had Hudson creaming his jeans!!!! Looking forward to Sunday's final

quote:Originally posted by bingham

I remember "The Doc" being on TSN..Great stuff!!!

Didn't Doc manage an incredible amount of teams, some for incredibly shorts spells?? A lovely man, although Laurie Brown probably doesn't think so!!

Agreed! I think the Doc is still married to the former Mrs. Brown.

I also believe he continues to do after dinner speaking, even though he's close to 80 now.

At least Hudson isn't like Sir Stanley Matthews on the CBC during WC 82:

Ernie Afaganis: "Sir Stanley, Spain are down 1-0 to West Germany in this crucial match. What must they do to win?"

Sir Stanley: "They must score two goals."

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Agreed! I think the Doc is still married to the former Mrs. Brown.

I also believe he continues to do after dinner speaking, even though he's close to 80 now.

At least Hudson isn't like Sir Stanley Matthews on the CBC during WC 82:

Ernie Afaganis: "Sir Stanley, Spain are down 1-0 to West Germany in this crucial match. What must they do to win?"

Sir Stanley: "They must score two goals."

Actually, that's kind of funny!

db

It would have been quite witty, but he didn't provide any analysis after that...that was basicially it, so Ernie had to prod him again to get some more in depth thoughts/strategies/opinions.

He didn't hide his allegiances, either, which I got a kick out of. Of Peter Shilton prior to the West Germany game: "WE'VE got the best keeper in the world."

I'm in the pro-Ray Hudson camp. I loved his comment after the first Argentina goal in the semi-final, when Phil Schoen brought up that perhaps Heinze should've been penalized for a high boot.

A pause and then "I should slap you", was Ray's response. Not overly clever or anything, but refreshing. He says what he wants, without any regard for convention or cliches that others resort to.

Archived