Canadian Chants

smeghead

Ok why not decide on this board what songs we should sing. Approach the TFC management and let them contact the other supporters groups and than have them organize a song festival at the stadium prior to a TFC game.Every group picks their own and way we go. Ultimately we will all decide and it will last forever and ever etc. History in the making.

We have been talking about this time and time again and being at the stadium all I really hear is just very short chants. Nothing yet that has that magic real soccer character and sound.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok... so I was googling some famous Canadian songwriters and songs etc. And I thought maybe some Gordon Lightfoot would do but the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald may not be the song, not so sure about If You Could Read My Mind either. But then I came across Leonard Cohen and he wrote a song called Hallelujah which Jeff Buckley so famously covered. Now that would be a nice song to hear a crapload of people sing together.

Flame if you wish... I'll keep surfing the net for more suggestions.

I don't get why a song has to be re-written to complement the Canadian soccer team. I don't think Liverpool re-wrote You'll Never Walk Alone just so it fits with the soccer team. If a song makes sense to a club then they should sing it the way it was intended to be sung. Rugby fans in the UK have been known to sing Swing Low Sweet Chariot... As far as I know the lyrics have nothing to do with rugby.

ahhhh...I get it....we need a canadian song that reps the canadian team......how about "everybody's working for the weekend" by loverboy....lol....joke!!! But i think "Summer of 69" carries a nice tune to be sung in a stadium full of Canadian fans

I do like the idea of using the recognizable "Hockey Night in Canada" theme to something simple like "Let's go Canada, Let's go Canada, Let's go Canada-a-a-a a-a-a-a a"... or changing the "Good Ol' Hockey Game" lyrics. It's not like people actually sing these songs at hockey games.

I like Danny Boy's tune selection... if there was some way to get the whole stadium singing the Hallelujah song after a goal (even though it isn't the happiest of songs) it would be great... but I think the lyrics would need to be changed (except for the Hallelujahs) to make it more of a fighting song , which breaks the "keep it simple" rule. We could revisit introducing an epic like this in a few years after some success with easier ones.

In the 1880 and nineties and beyond there were a bunch of teams that played in the Western Football league,which was basically Western Ontario. As the story goes,these teams had a lot of fans and they would travel by train to the other towns or cities. That train was rocking and they went singing and it was a ball as you can imagine. I wonder what songs they were singing.I will ask our historian Colin Jose,maybe he can dig up those songs,who knows there maybe a jewel.

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

ahhhh...I get it....we need a canadian song that reps the canadian team......how about "everybody's working for the weekend" by loverboy....lol....joke!!! But i think "Summer of 69" carries a nice tune to be sung in a stadium full of Canadian fans

Summer of 69 gets my vote. It's recognizably Canadian and it's not hockey. It's also got that throw your arm over the shoulder of another guy in a stadium drunken man time feel to it.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Summer of 69 gets my vote. It's recognizably Canadian and it's not hockey. It's also got that throw your arm over the shoulder of another guy in a stadium drunken man time feel to it.

Here, i know this goes back to the having to rewrite a song, but "summer of '86" could be a decent idea. Even as to show our ambition, "summer of 20-10" could be done.

Dunno how lyrics would be changed but this is immediately what came to mind when i read Soju's post there.

Well I doubt many of us are big Bryan Adams fans but he is a Canadian icon. I think using that song is funny and something away fans would get right away. I was thinking along the lines of what other posters wrote, not changing this tune but making it our "You'll never walk alone" for example. Summer of 2010's clever though if anyone can think of a good rewrite.

...hangin' out a soldier field, you told me that we'd beat the americans,

oh and when i saw that ref, I knew that he was that mexican,

that was the worst day of my life....oh yeah, back in the summer of 07...uh huh!!!!!

to the tune of summer of 69

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

...hangin' out a soldier field, you told me that we'd beat the americans,

oh and when i saw that ref, I knew that he was that mexican,

that was the worst day of my life....oh yeah, back in the summer of 07...uh huh!!!!!

to the tune of summer of 69

I got my first Forrest Jersey,

Bought it when I was 29,

Wore it till my skin turned Red,

It was the summer of 99.

Me and some Voyageurs,

Cheered our team and shed tears,

Juby's Drunk, Champ's in the slammer,

I shoulda known after 48 beers.

Oh when we wave our flags,

Our team seems to run forever,

And if we'd have the choice,

Yeah - We'd always want to be here,

These our the best days of our lives!

I Couldn't resist a shot at that one...

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

in the 1950s and 1960s all the CFL teams had thier own fikght songs as crazy as this will sound maybe we should find them and maybe come up with our own versions.

some still do

Oski Wee Wee

Oski Waa Waa

Holy Mackinaw

Tigers eat them RAW,

It is lead by pig skin pete.

Mackinaw may refer to a battle from 1812 which British forces took Fort Mackinaw at the onset of the war before the fort new their own government had declared war.

The Tigers is one of the preceding teams that amalgamated into the Tiger-Cats (the other was the wildcats)

A short chant/ song is a good place to start.

We have 4 weeks to sort one out. If it does not work well than we can change it.

How about the Bill Withers tune Lean on Me

Lean on me, when you’re not strong

And I’ll be your friend

I’ll help you carry on

For it won’t be long

‘till I’m gonna need

somebody to lean on.

or is that too sappy

how about

My stomin grounds by Stompin Tom Conners.

I've been all across this country

From the East coast to the west

And I've been asked about a thousand times

What places I like best

Well I've had to base my answers

On the friendly people I've found

And if you're inclined to take the time

This is where you'll find my stompin' grounds

(Chorus)

Just take a little piece of P.E.I & old Saskatchewan

Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, we're back in Newfoundland

Alberta & Manitoba

Ontario & B.C

And you'll have found the stompin' grounds of all my friends & me

Now there was a time with a buddy of mine

When a frieght train was our load

And we found people in this here land that would help a guy along the road

Some of them lived in the country

And others lived in town

But these are the people that made me proud

To say this is my Stompin' Ground

(chorus)

And now you've heard my answer

It's one I hope you'll understand

It's just my way of kinda sayin' Thank You to the people of this land

And it doesn't matter really where you're from

Ya can spread the word around

For where ever you find a heart that's kind

You're in a part of my stompin' ground

(Chorus to fade)

So I was thinking about the Costa Rica match and I think we can have a list of chants and one line songs, but for longer songs, we'd to well to pear the list down to 4 or 5.

So at the risk of getting too organized ;), I propose the following. Keep posting ideas for songs until the 26th of August, then somebody (probably me) should collect a list of songs that we can all vote on for a week. Then we should have a week and a half to distribute our 'sponsored' set of songs to various message boards and practice before the Costa Rica match.

My feeling is that the songs should be easy to pick up for fans that might not visit this board. That is, either short and sweet, or a song that everyone knows. But keep them all coming and we'll let the mob decide.

Songs/chants suggested so far:

CAN-A-DA

Ra-Ra-Radzinski Canada's greatest goal machine

Allez les Rouges (Impact)

Massive (why is it called that anyway?)

let's go Canada <clap,clap,clap>

A rope, a tree, hang the referee ...

CONCA CRAP JACK

Some gasoline ...

Score in a brothel, you couldn't score in a brothel

Twelve men, you've only got twelve men

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE -

WINTER WONDERLAND -

AMAZING GRACE -

I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO -

Sweet Be-go-vic...PA PA PA

do do do do do do do do LOMBARDO

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, (winger)'s on the go

Oooh Ahhh David Edgar

Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies? I had one, you had one, the ref had 55!

2 Rs 4 Es 1 F in Referee (posted here a while back)

Allez les Rouges (Carnival de Paris)

O-le-le, O-la-la, (team) is ****e, Let's Go Canada

Ooooh-ah Can-a-da

Oh Paul Stalteri, you are the love of my life

All we're saying *pause* is give us a goal

We hate Señor Archundia

ca-na-DAAA, CA-na-da (river plate supporters tune)

This is our House

Riot Squad by Bad Brains

The Maple Leaf forver (original)

The Maple Leaf forver (Niagara Hammer's version)

The Maple Leaf forver (Cooks' version)

Immigrant Song (Gordan's version)

Into the net on a dark black night

Fireworks

Bobcaygeon

O Canada (Danny Boy - Bill Spiers version)

New Orleans is Sinking

Logdriver's Waltz

Little bones (pulsar's version)

Summer of 69 (original)

Summer of 69 (pulsar's version)

Summer of 69 (gwallace76's version)

Hockey Night in Canada theme (TOcanadafan's version)

Let me know if I've missed any so far

Lean On Me gets my vote, however it sounds more of a condolences type song; which = canada losing....well I guess the boys could always use a a little lovin' should they ever lose....oh and my version of summer of 69 was only a joke.....but then, should he ref again..i guess we could use it. gwallace is our lyricist (sp) for that song

"I've been all across this country

From the East coast to the west

And I've been asked about a thousand times

What places I like best

Well I've had to base my answers

On the friendly people I've found

And if you're inclined to take the time

This is where you'll find my stompin' grounds

(Chorus)

Just take a little piece of P.E.I & old Saskatchewan

Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, we're back in Newfoundland

Alberta & Manitoba

Ontario & B.C

And you'll have found the stompin' grounds of all my friends & me"

I like this, great idea Niagra Hammer. Even the song title "Stompin' grounds" has an anthem feel to it and it's clearly Canadian. It's got a fun drinking time tune to it that could get casual fans involved too.

Edit: here's a link:

Archived