Rumour: Mexico vs Canada in MTL

loyola

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Speaking as a Canadian with largely forgotten Euro roots, WASP upbringing (well not entirely P), etc, I sing at funerals and campfires. That's about it. Singing/chanting at a soccer game is quite unappealing to me. Joining in a simple chant / chorus would be the most I can imagine. None of these god-awful 16 line poems set to some obscure melody, thanks.

However, with the latin Americans, it seems that all the fans know the songs and chants and thats what they are there for; to sing, dance and chant and enjoy the atmosphere and the game. Furthermore, I noticed that they dont just show up to the games, they paint their faces, wear goofy hats and make it a party. Those chants and songs are very divesre as well. Thats why, as Gordon pointed out, 500 Chileans can sound more vocal that 10,000 Canadians.

The root of the problem IMO is the culture of North American sports. North american sports has been marketed to people as family events. Hence no one ever shows up in groups. Most will just buy two tickets and bring a friend or family member. Here is the problem with that approach, if the game turn out to be boring can you still say that you had fun?

Kudos to MLSEL for really understanding this. To be honnest, when I first heard that they would get involved with soccer, I never thought that they would understand this phenomena. Then I got a big surprise when I got my season tickets by courier and include in the package was team scarf. ODD that an organization perceived as old stock canadian can understand this but an organization run by Saputo ( first generation Canadian) with links to old country cannot understand that. MLSEL embraces the supporters groups whereas saputo condemns them.

I'm also a WASP and I don't sing. However, for me it's because I have a rare vocal deformity which makes it impossible.

Nonetheless, I just want to point out that it WAS(P/C) who invented football and it was the same WAS(P/C) who invented music or, at very least any music that ever mattered, with a duly noted footnote to Grand Master Flash, Desmond Dekker, Furry Lewis, etc.

Do you you know why the Beatles didn't come from Mexico? Cause "Ole Ole Ole," is the only mother lovely thing they got. How creative it that?

There's a song from the Southsiders that could be incorporated into the Voyageurs due to the mutual connection to 1986. Set to the tune of "She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain:"

We'll be shagging dirty Sanchez' mother till she comes

We'll be shagging dirty Sanchez' mother till she comes

We'll be shagging dirty Sanchez' mother

We'll be shagging dirty Sanchez' mother

We'll be shagging dirty Sanchez' mother till she comes!

When she begs for 69 we'll give 86!

When she begs for 69

When she begs for 69

ummmm, I don't think you can say Wasp's don't sing, you put on a radio at work and a bunch of people will start singing songs they like, and I work with a bunch of wasps. And wasps did not invent most music that matters, Chuck berry invented rock and roll, James Brown invented soul AND funk, and R n B (the old and the new kind)and the blues were considered black music (so I'm guessing a black guy invented them) till chuck berry was like, hey, white people secretly like RnB, and black people secretly like country and then all of a sudden you got Johnny B good

quote:Originally posted by Juby

...And wasps did not invent most music that matters, Chuck berry invented rock and roll, James Brown invented soul AND funk, and R n B (the old and the new kind)and the blues were considered black music (so I'm guessing a black guy invented them) till chuck berry was like, hey, white people secretly like RnB, and black people secretly like country and then all of a sudden you got Johnny B good

Chuck Berry, while an immortal rock and roll pioneer, did not invent rock and roll. Chuck Berry was a Blues Musician in the early 1950s. His first record that could be termed Rock and Roll was "Roll over Beethoven" in 1956. His first string of big hits including Johnny B Good happened form '57 to '59 i think.

Elvis Presley knew of Chuck Berry and ripped off some of his ideas, but Elvis was the first to put out a true Rock and Roll record with 1954 'Thats all right mama'.

Even earlier in '54, you could say that Bill Haley invented Rock and Roll with 'Rock around the Clock' and he also put out an album in '51 that had the same sound.

Yes, the White Man did invent Rock and Roll. They ripped of ideas from Black music, but the White Man was the first to put it all together. Artists like Chuck Berry would only move away from Blues towards Rock due the influence of guys like Elvis and Bill Haley.

I would say Elvis basically ran with the genre, which isn't bad (most people like you did refer to it as ripping off), he was just a douche for not saying in interviews, chuck berry's the man. Elvis was there at the start, but rock and roll wasn't really born till like the rock and roll intro and riffs and all that rnb'ish but pacy vocals and the dissonence sound came along. like despite the name I wouldn't really call rock around the clock and the like rock and roll, just an early prototype. I would say (but I could accept disagreement) that the moment rock and roll created was when it had hit the sound chuck berry had, cause technically we could keep going backwards till beethoven and say he invented it when he began to fool around with dissonence.

thats mostly just me talking rather then argueing above, I don't really feel like have a huge rock and roll debate, but I still already proved WASP's didn't invent most music cause of James Brown, the blues, RnB etc.

Well obviously WASPs didnt invent most music, music is everywhere and was invented by everyone. Maybe Wasps only invented music that matters personally to YNWA. I'll say that Berry was the first to do good Rock properly, but Rock (IMO) by definition is lead guitar, bass, and a snare backbeat, and that was done before, and thats what rock would be until the Beatles blew it open with Rubber Soul in 66. Also, I always thought that the first Rap song was the Beatles "I am the Walrus", so the WASPs owns that too. Goo goo ga joob.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

...I just want to point out that it WAS(P/C) who invented football ...

To bug Daniel some more and take this thread further off topic, it always bugs me when ppl take it for granted that THE WHITE MAN (i presume you mean the English) invented football/soccer. Games involving kicking balls into goals were FIRST invented independently in China and in Mesoamerica by the Aztecs and other groups.

Many other places also had similar games, not the least of whom being the greeks and the romans/italians. The English would see these games and rip them off. they tack on some obvious rules and then claim to have invented the game. give me a break.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Wow, how specific. Now what is an Anglo Saxon exactly?

the anglos and saxons were tribes that lived in what is now england a long time ago. they were mostly a germanic/scandinavian people, and they lasted until the norman conquest the year of which escapes me, 10??. why THE WHITE MAN still refers to itself as Anglo-Saxon, i do not know.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Can someone please tell me what music has to do with a rumour about Mexico vs Canada?

Please?

When Canada plays Mexico, the CSA will hire dozens of Mariachi's to roam the stadium and help make the Mexican's feel more at home. When loyal voyageurs protest, one of the musicians will turn out to be El Mariachi and will proceed to gun down - very stlylishly - numerous canadian fans. Stadium security and the RCMP will ignore the armed mariachi, instead preferring to instruct the surviving canadian fans to sit and arrest those that protest the injustice too vigourously. Now where WASP - err Gringo - music fits in escapes me at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, maybe i can shed some light on the anglo saxon tribes...they were demolished at the battle of Hastings ( england) in 1066, by william the conquerer from Normandy, France. Apparently, when they recovered the body of king Harold...a dane ruling England at the time, the french proceeded to have a kick-about with his head.

Pulsar is correct. However, the Anglo Saxons were not wiped out, just the leadership. The peasants remained peasants and served the new Norman overlords.

This is why it is a cow in the field and beef on the table. Peasants weren’t allowed to eat it just serve it. Eventually, the leaders for political reasons started to call themselves locals and not the conquerors.

The term, from wikipedia, WASP is a term which originated in the United States. It is an acronym for White Anglo- Saxon Protestant..

The term does not have a precise definition and can be used to describe greatly differing sociological and cultural groups. The WASP acronym originated in reference to White Americans with a history in the upper class establishment, who are alleged to form a powerful elite.

Archived