Rumour: Mexico vs Canada in MTL

loyola

I read in yesterday Journal de Montreal that their's a rumour about a possible Mexico vs Canada MNT at the Big O to be announce in the near future.

It could be really nice and considering that Mexico is playing in the USA (against Australia) on september 12, I think september 8 could be a good date for such a game in MTL.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Mexicans in Quebec?!?

From Quebec Gov.:

http://www.mri.gouv.qc.ca/en/relations_quebec/ameriques/amerique_du_nord/mexique/relations.asp

Tourism

Approximately 272,000 Mexicans visited Quebec between 2000 and 2004, spending an estimated CAN$274 million during their stays. For the majority of these visitors, the main purpose of their trip was pleasure.

Heck they even have a Consulate General in Montreal:

http://www.travelyucatan.com/office-1.htm

Consul General: Jaime García Amaral

Deputy Consul: Laura Espinoza Martínez

2055 rue Peel, bureau 1000

Montreal QC H3A 1V4

Tel. (514) 288-2502, 288-2707 and 288-4916

Fax: (514) 288-8287

http://www.consulmex.qc.ca

E-mail: comexmt@consulmex.qc.ca

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by georg

From Quebec Gov.:

http://www.mri.gouv.qc.ca/en/relations_quebec/ameriques/amerique_du_nord/mexique/relations.asp

Tourism

Approximately 272,000 Mexicans visited Quebec between 2000 and 2004, spending an estimated CAN$274 million during their stays. For the majority of these visitors, the main purpose of their trip was pleasure.

Over four years that is 70,000 a year, spread out over months it would be 6,000 a month. Imagine a stay of four days average and that gives you just under a thousand Mexicans in Montreal at any given time.

Okay, so more in summer and less in winter. Say there are four thousand visiting by chance on September 8. ¿Y qué?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Over four years that is 70,000 a year, spread out over months it would be 6,000 a month. Imagine a stay of four days average and that gives you just under a thousand Mexicans in Montreal at any given time.

Okay, so more in summer and less in winter. Say there are four thousand visiting by chance on September 8. ¿Y qué?

It wouldnt surprise me to see Mexicans living in NYC or NJ making the trip up.

• 2 weeks later...

this would be great, I hope they can book good teams without having to play a friendly against the US, I want the rematch to happen when it counts, like qualifying or the next concacaf tourney (whatever there gunna call it that time)

Montreal deserves Kudos for their excellent support of the U20 tournament. I know alot of the people at the games have flown in from other cities/countries, but it still has been great to see such a great atmosphere in the Big Owe. I think Montreal has earned a Friendly. the question is....will Montrealers support Team Canada en masse?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Montreal deserves Kudos for their excellent support of the U20 tournament. I know alot of the people at the games have flown in from other cities/countries, but it still has been great to see such a great atmosphere in the Big Owe. I think Montreal has earned a Friendly. the question is....will Montrealers support Team Canada en masse?

Seeing as the playing surface will be dismantled soon, I doubt we'll see this at Olympic Stadium. A friendly at CCR is unlikely IMO so we'd have to wait for SS's opening in the spring (or possibly a fall friendly as the opener, but I'd doubt it).

Will Montreal support Canada? Yes? Will the Canadian support outnumber (and out-chant) the opposition? Probably not, if the friendly was held tomorrow.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Will Montreal support Canada? Yes? Will the Canadian support outnumber (and out-chant) the opposition? Probably not, if the friendly was held tomorrow.

Than it shouldn't be held in Montreal if the Canadian support won't out number the opposition.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Than it shouldn't be held in Montreal if the Canadian support won't out number the opposition.

Lets be honnest though. If that is the criteria that you want to use then, when it comes to Mexico, you would have to play in St Johns Nf. Plus, this is not an offical game. Its just a friendly. The Mexican support is massive in Canada and the US and they will come out regardless of where the game is played. If Hondurans can pull in numbers to equal the canadina support in a place like Edmonton for a WCQ, then what do you expect the suport for mexico will be under similar circumstnces

You cant punish Mtl soccer fans on that criteria. One of the best Canada supported games that i ever saw was the Can-Jam friendly last Sept at CCR. Maybe, if we ever have to play Mexico in WCQ the best solution will be to play in St Johns. But even then you cant be 100% sure. For now, this is justa friendly

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Daniel, from what I understand they have 2 playing surfaces. One that FIFA rejected approval, this one will be sold through an auction to the highest bidding club.

I'm not sure what they will be doing with the playing surface used during games? Does anyone know?

I don't have a problem with playing friendlies in areas where there is lots of ethnic support. It will help sell tickets and get more money for the CSA (which is a good thing) while the result is not very important.

For WCQs on the other hand, lots of ethnic support is something that should be avoided at all costs.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Lets be honnest though. If that is the criteria that you want to use then, when it comes to Mexico, you would have to play in St Johns Nf. Plus, this is not an offical game. Its just a friendly. The Mexican support is massive in Canada and the US and they will come out regardless of where the game is played. If Hondurans can pull in numbers to equal the canadina support in a place like Edmonton for a WCQ, then what do you expect the suport for mexico will be under similar circumstnces

You cant punish Mtl soccer fans on that criteria. One of the best Canada supported games that i ever saw was the Can-Jam friendly last Sept at CCR. Maybe, if we ever have to play Mexico in WCQ the best solution will be to play in St Johns. But even then you cant be 100% sure. For now, this is justa friendly

Oh, I thought you were talking in general. Mexico is an exception.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I don't have a problem with playing friendlies in areas where there is lots of ethnic support. It will help sell tickets and get more money for the CSA (which is a good thing) while the result is not very important.

For WCQs on the other hand, lots of ethnic support is something that should be avoided at all costs.

I agree with that

The notion of "support" in Canada is a tricky one. One problem we have in Canada is that we are not "vocal" in the sense that many other football nations are, so 500 Chileans can be louder and more noticable than 10,000 Canadian fans. So really, other than in the most isolated centres, the crowd will not seem expecially "pro" Canadian. I am certain that, despite the crowd noise appearing on TV to be Pro-Chilean in the recent U-20 game against Canada, that the overwhelming majority of the crowd was supporting Canada.

Been giving a lot of thought on this particular issue of late. It struck me during a monsoon in Edmonton while watching a hearty band of Voyageurs cheering on Canada aginst Congo that part of our strategy should be to figure out how we can engage the crowd in a way that is not foreign to our sports culture. That does not mean giving up the chanting/singning, but recognizing that the majority of canadian supporters will nto join in. Something that I think has potential, from what I saw in Edmonton, is rythmic clapping for corners and free kicks in attacking areas. The crowd joined in on that freely and in significant numbers. At the very least, this will provide occasional reminders to our players that, despite the drums of the and noise of opposition fans, they are the home side. And it would become something of a canadian trademark.

Speaking as a Canadian with largely forgotten Euro roots, WASP upbringing (well not entirely P), etc, I sing at funerals and campfires. That's about it. Singing/chanting at a soccer game is quite unappealing to me. Joining in a simple chant / chorus would be the most I can imagine. None of these god-awful 16 line poems set to some obscure melody, thanks.

Archived