World Cup Qualifying Draw Question

RJB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/6247138.stm

"Fifa also delayed this year's World Cup qualifying draw in Durban, South Africa, by two days to 25 November and approved the qualifying formats for its confederations."

Does this mean that FIFA will draw the World Cup Qualifying, or is it the responsibility of the individual confederations?

We've all seen how good and fair CONCACAF has been in the past with their draws. Could it have been easier for T&T last campaign?

I believe from my understanding, here is how it works....

For the exception of CONMEBOL(The South American confederation) FIFA will draw the pairings and groupings for the 2010 WCQ. That means FIFA will draw the pairings for the CONCACAF prelim games to see who gets into the semi finals. Based on those winners, the groupings will be paired.

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Ive got another question, could you tell me what our approved qualifying format is? The link isn't working.

I changed the link so it should work now. It doesn't outline our qualifying fomat though.

My understanding is that there will be head-to-head matchups, in order to get CONCACAF down to twenty-four teams. The winners will then be split into three groups of four, from which the top two teams will move on to the final round of six teams.

mrpopulistfutebol suggested that this draw by FIFA will only include the first round(head-to-head). If that's the case, the winners of each matchup will already have their groups determined.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

I believe from my understanding, here is how it works....

For the exception of CONMEBOL(The South American confederation) FIFA will draw the pairings and groupings for the 2010 WCQ. That means FIFA will draw the pairings for the CONCACAF prelim games to see who gets into the semi finals. Based on those winners, the groupings will be paired.

WOW! I didn't know that. Thats great news. Fifa has taken away the power of of individual heads of confederations to rig the draw in favour of their own nations?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

WOW! I didn't know that. Thats great news. Fifa has taken away the power of of individual heads of confederations to rig the draw in favour of their own nations?

It might be great news...or it might be that it has become lucrative enough for the FIFA boys to want their share...

Slightly off topic here. I know that UEFA has re jigged UEFA qualifying.

They will have eight groups of six teams and one group of five

The 9 group winners will qualify automatically and the runners will then play off.

I understand that the 2nd places teams will be ranked in order by points with the results of the 6 placed teams in groups 1 to 8 removed.

So maybe Concacaf might this time change the format so Canada does not have to play as many games as in the past. This would be a good thing especially as clubs can cause problems when it comes to releasing players for important match ups even though they are not allowed to these days. I think it is time Concacaf removed the hex and just had two groups of 3 with the winners qualifying. The 2nd placed teams playing off for the 3rd qualifying place then the loser of that play off to play against another confederation as the 3.5 place.

Also does Concacaf draw up the format for qualifying up to the Final round. As in

1st Round

2nd Round

Semi Final

Final

So that National coaches can see who might they play in the following round. This is something that is done in the Uefa Champions Cup in the Knockout Rounds so they dont have to keep holding draws.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

My understanding is that there will be head-to-head matchups, in order to get CONCACAF down to twenty-four teams. The winners will then be split into three groups of four, from which the top two teams will move on to the final round of six teams.

mrpopulistfutebol suggested that this draw by FIFA will only include the first round(head-to-head). If that's the case, the winners of each matchup will already have their groups determined.

As I understand it, the format is unchanged. Most of the teams that didn't make the final 12 last time will play off to get to 24 (a few will get a bye to the 24 as Belize did). Then we (and the rest of the final 12) come in, play a two-leg tie to get to the dirty dozen. Then three groups of four, top two to the hex etc.

Last time FIFA drew the starting spots, so we got pulled and you see Belize and think "awesome" and then you look and realize that our 'bracket' results in a Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala group.

Despite the bad draw I'm pretty sure it was a FIFA draw and not just a CONCACAF draw. I recall following it and I'm sure they did all of the confeds.

I'm sure we'll get more details leading up to Nov.

cheers,

matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Still no word on the format CONCACAF will use for the WCQ's, which should be announced sometime before the Novemebr 25, 2007, draw by FIFA. The format becomees FIFA regulations, but it is for the Confederatios to set it up. I expect something similiar to last time, except now there may be four autos to the three semifinal groups (USA, Mex, Costa Rica, Trinidad, on the basis of making the last WC). That will mean more teams will be involved in the February /March 2008 initial head to head qualifying stage, but hopefully Canada will just have to start in the second head to heads in June 2008 like last time (good thing Guadelupe is not elegible!).

SO FAR the BIG difference for our qualifying route for 2010 is that FIFA now says that the fourth place CONCACAF team will meet the fifth place team from South America (rather than Asia like last time), which means that thhe hurdle is now a little higher. Asia has been gifted an almost automatic fitfh place given that there 5th place team now will meet the Oceania (now emasculated without Australia) winner (probably New Zealand).

from FIFA site:

"CONCACAF 35 teams, 3.5 places

All the confederation's member associations have entered the qualifying competition. Three sides will qualify by right for South Africa 2010, with a fourth team going into a play-off with the fifth-place finisher in the CONMEBOL Zone."

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/regulations/index.html

South America already has its full marathon WCQ schedule set, to commence this October:

http://www.futbolplanet.de/world/world_cup_2010_conmebol.htm

Africa has a series of head to heads in October 2007 among their lower ranked teams to reduce their crowded field to 48 for the November, as will Oceania next month (so that Oceania's in draw in November will only be for the fial group of four that will include New Zealand).

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Asia has been gifted an almost automatic fitfh place given that there 5th place team now will meet the Oceania (now emasculated without Australia) winner (probably New Zealand).

What is with FIFA's love afair with ASIA. At best it's equatable to CONCACAF--Korea/Japan = Mexico/USA, Australia = Costa Rica, the rest = the rest. At worse....

Other than the shameful little run the Koreans went on in '02, please explain to be how Asia deserves an extra spot? Germany 7:0 Saudi Arabia anyone....

I wonder why FIFA love$ A$ia $o much a$ well. :)

A$ia has 4-billion people (two-thirds of the world population) with a soon-to-be huge middle class that companies have orgasms just thinking about the potential cash to be made.

I'm surprised that they don't get 6 spots, the half each from the two Americas.

Qualifying for the World Cup will grow the sport and make them better, just like it did in Australia.

Same reason the NFL folded NFL Europe to focus on China.

Also, look at the 6 "FIFA Partners" (major sponsors) on their site. 1 is European (Adidas), 2 are American (Coke and Visa) and 3 are Asian (Sony, Hyundai Kia and Emirates). They ain't just paying so their cute little logos appear on the FIFA site. Plus, I'm sure the 3 Euro/American companies are just as interested in Asia as they are the west.

Archived