Brennan, Room on the Left side?

CanadasBest

--DeRo---Friend/Gerba---Radz

--Brennan--Julian---Hutch---

Jazic------?-----?----Stalteri

Could work. Bernier isn't bad looks like he might be fitter. Brennan does have more of a shot on him though and isn't he left footed? Get in.

If he was to remain as a center back for TFC then I would slot him in the holding role in lieu of Nash. He'd be sound defensively and could distribute well.

If he's moved out to the left for TFC then I'd probably have him start at LB in lieu of Jazic. They're both very similar players, I just think Brennan might provide a bit more in dead-ball situations. Although the holding role is still appealing in that case as well.

I think Klukowski is the number one choice if he does not play CB at left back. With that being said I like our depth with Jazic and I think Brennan could be a great fill in guy for whatever we need be it left back, center back, holding mid or left mid he can play all of these spots and will be an assett to us but Im not sure if he is a clear favourite in any position but hopefully we find a spot for him.

You know, I'm trying avoid a Yallop reference at all costs with Grizzly on the prowl, particularly with the irony related to JB, but...

Something needs to be said for playing regularly. Pretty much everyone in our starting 11 for Gold Cup was an out-and-out regular for their club. I think that contributed to our success.

Kluka may be at the highest level, maybe the most talented, but he doesn't seem to play much. He's been at Brugge what, 2.5 years? I know part of it is constant injuries, but he's also been past over when healthy. Brugge can't be that much better than TFC and the Galaxy, to outright discount the amount of regular playing time as a deciding factor.

As an aside, I didn't rate Jazic at all prior to the tourney, but he was fantastic. And truth be told, we'll likely need all three to get through the first round of qualifying, let alone the Hex.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

If he was to remain as a center back for TFC then I would slot him in the holding role in lieu of Nash. He'd be sound defensively and could distribute well.

I agree... I think JB would be great in the role Nash played (quite well) during the Gold Cup.

quote:You know, I'm trying avoid a Yallop reference at all costs with Grizzly on the prowl, particularly with the irony related to JB, but...

Something needs to be said for playing regularly. Pretty much everyone in our starting 11 for Gold Cup was an out-and-out regular for their club. I think that contributed to our success.

Kluka may be at the highest level, maybe the most talented, but he doesn't seem to play much. He's been at Brugge what, 2.5 years? I know part of it is constant injuries, but he's also been past over when healthy. Brugge can't be that much better than TFC and the Galaxy, to outright discount the amount of regular playing time as a deciding factor.

As an aside, I didn't rate Jazic at all prior to the tourney, but he was fantastic. And truth be told, we'll likely need all three to get through the first round of qualifying, let alone the Hex.

Kluka has not been passed over when healthy. He has been out of the lineup solely because of injuries and when he was suspended due to number of yellow cards. He has been a steady starter for Bruge except when injured. He played in 20 of Brugge's 34 games this year plus 5 Cup games and all 4 of their UEFA Cup matches so he has been playing pretty regularly despite the injuries.

Brugge is a much stronger club than TFC although the past season was a bit disappointing in part due to the injuries. I would argue that the general level of play in the Jupiler league is not better than MLS but that the top 3or 4 teams like Brugge and Anderlecht are significantly stronger than any MLS teams. That is why the same 2 or 3 teams win the Belgian championship every year. Not only that but TFC is a bottom table MLS club while Brugge even in this very disappointing year finished 6th. Plus, when Kluka has played for the national team he has looked very strong. The only knock against him is the number of times he has played for us though part of that has something to do with the guy I am not supposed to mention. If Kluka will show up for Mitchell and is healthy I am confident he will be a starter.

I totally agree that all 3 will be needed come qualifying. We always seem to struggle with injuries and it's nice to see many different options for several positions.

Before the Gold Cup I always thought that Brennan was a sure starter on the left side. Now after the gold cup, I think he should only get the start in the absence of DeRo or Jazic on the left side. He's missed the Gold Cup, and he also missed the WCQ Campaign in 2004.

There's also Ledgerwood waiting in the wings (and Simpson).

I still don't like Dero on that left wing. If we drop the "shield" player (ie Nash this GC) and put a mid behind the striker, this is where I would like to see Dero. He strives when he can go in any direction.

I agree with Grizzly that Kluka is our best option at LB (or moved to middle) and he has had trouble with injuries. Brennan has shown he can play CB and be effective. I too like him in the role that Nash played as distributor in front of the defence. Let's not forget Hastings though who did an admirable job at the GC.

The main point is we now have many options at all positions, where we could not always say that.

I think Brennan could play the role that Nash played in the Gold Cup & could play it better. Nash was good at long-ball distribution but fairly weak defensively. That wasn't a problem against Guatemala because they put absolutely zilch pressure on him (or anybody) but it was less effective against the US or even Guadeloupe, and he was often a defensive liability. I think Brennan could play the offensive side of the role just as well as Nash (he's played lots of good long balls for TFC) while being an improvement on the defensive side. And we should have plenty of left-sided options to allow us to do that.

Another possibility is to put Stalteri in that holding/long-range distribution role and try Nsaliwa and/or Ledgerwood at right back. Or Pozniak.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think Brennan could play the role that Nash played in the Gold Cup & could play it better. Nash was good at long-ball distribution but fairly weak defensively. That wasn't a problem against Guatemala because they put absolutely zilch pressure on him (or anybody) but it was less effective against the US or even Guadeloupe, and he was often a defensive liability. I think Brennan could play the offensive side of the role just as well as Nash (he's played lots of good long balls for TFC) while being an improvement on the defensive side. And we should have plenty of left-sided options to allow us to do that.

Another possibility is to put Stalteri in that holding/long-range distribution role and try Nsaliwa and/or Ledgerwood at right back. Or Pozniak.

No disagreements about the Nash assessment. I think Brennan has potential for that role.

One thing I have said about many players in our NT pool and I still believe this to be true: if you want players to perform at their best for the NT, with little preparation time prior to a match, then play them in their regular club level positions (regardless of the tactics the club or MNT play). If a player is playing all the time at left back for his club and then after two practices with the MNT you slot him in at CB for a WCQ he may well make errors because of his lack of familiarity in the position. Brennan has been learning how to play CB this season though most of his career has been as a LB or LM, so he may be able to make the transition to a central holding role better than someone like Stalteri who in the past several years at club level has very rarely been featured in a central position (centre defence, centre mid) except for emergency injury situations. If Nsaliwa has had success in Greece as a holding mid then that's where I would slot him in for the MNT; same goes for a guy like Imhoff (if he is featured there at club level).

As many quality players as necesasry are needed at every position. It seems that our left side is looking quite deep, with Brennan, Simpson, Klukowski, and Jazic.

To be honest though, I'd be surprised to see Brennan back in the fold. To not go to the Gold Cup, but then be available for WCQ, is a bit too convenient for my liking.

Don't know.

Think JB trumps Jazic in every quality except he's playing at centre half and that won't do. As long as Mo has JB in the middle I'd mark Jazic in at left back. See Simpson more as a wing player (and an excellent combination for JB because of their mobility and dribbling skills) and Klukowski isn't exactly into the loop with any strength yet so for me at least, it's between Jazic and JB. Same as before the Gold Cup.

Now if JB slots over to left back and shows some of his old self (odviously his valuable offensive skills are wasted at centre half) during the 2nd half of the season he's my 1st choice left back with Jazic very comfortable cover.

P.S. BearcSA, good post.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I still don't like Dero on that left wing. If we drop the "shield" player (ie Nash this GC) and put a mid behind the striker, this is where I would like to see Dero. He strives when he can go in any direction.

I thought I was the only one that wanted him in the middle. He thrives in that role for Houston.

That said I think having a holding midfielder to reduce pressure and handle the ball distribution played a big part in the success we saw at the Gold Cup. Unless Hutch or De Guzman are always tracking back we'll see the defenders hoofing forward again like we are so used to seeing.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I thought I was the only one that wanted him in the middle. He thrives in that role for Houston.

That said I think having a holding midfielder to reduce pressure and handle the ball distribution played a big part in the success we saw at the Gold Cup. Unless Hutch or De Guzman are always tracking back we'll see the defenders hoofing forward again like we are so used to seeing.

Brennan in Nash's spot is something I suggested a few weeks ago, and I still think it makes good sense, especially if our CBs are not as speedy as they might need to be. Brennan is a step up on Jazic, in my mind, if only because of pace. Jazic deserves full credit for a good tournament, and I like his attitude and commitment. As for DeRo, I like the idea of him floating in front of DeGuzman and Hutch, and in behind the striker, likely Friend or Occean, but with Gerba and Hume as possibilities, too. This allows for a great triangle of creative talent, and excellent distribution, as well as allowing DeRo the room to create havoc all over the place. For what it is worth, I am big on Kluka, but I don't think he's quite established himself professionally--ie. is not playing regularly enough with Brugge--to be a guaranteed starter for us. He has all the potenial, and I hope he and Ledgerwood, Hainault and Edgar (Maybe O'Connor and Kennedy O-A) become the real deals for us in the future, but he doesn't seem quite there yet. I don't mind being wrong on this one, though.

So, working from the back, the line-up might look something like this:

----------Some GK

Stalteri McKenna Nsaliwa Jazic

----------Brennan

Radzinski Hutch DeGuzman

-----------De Ro

-----------Friend

I like that formation Beaver. If Friend can turn it on and get some goals under his belt (which is going to happen) that's six going forward who can win games. It's good to have a couple different dead ball guys out there as well. I say leave Jazic in and try Kluko at CB in McKenna's absence. Hastings/Nsaliwa for the other CB.

I wish it weren't the case, but in my heart of hearts I don't see Nsawliwa in our set-up for the 2010 qualifiers. Although he could step right into the team based on quality, I have this funny feeling that something will come up - I hope I am wrong.

Klukowski could easily be in the same situation. Unlike Radz a while back who was turning down (or turned away by) Canada for a couple years and who could have presumed that he would be a starter has he been picked, Klukowski and Nsaliwa and even Brennan now (since he was absent by choice), I think, will have to fight their ways back into the team. There is serious competition for places as I thnk the recent attempts to draw up Canada's depth charts has proven.

I can see already that we are going to be arguing about callups again like last cycle, ala Simpson vs Brennan, Peters vs Bircham. The fact remains that the coaching staff has to build chemistry for months and months before we head into qualifying. The transition from Hart to Mitchell/Hart if anything works against guys like those mentioned above. Nobody can expect to sit out whether for good reason or not, be it family, visa, club conflicts or anything else, and expect to be able to walk back into the side at a more convenient date. There will undoubtedly be guys picked to the final 18 that are poorer in pure footballing quality and likely less experienced, but if they are the guys who the coach sees fitting the bigger team plan, then I am all for it. Jazic and Hastings may well play ahead of better pure footballers, but if their inclusion helps to keep the team chemistry, then we may well have to deal with it as wise decision making rather than seeing it as the coach picking favourites or yet more "old boys club" choices as many are quick to say.

Brennan is an absolute must, as far as I'm concerned, for his work on set pieces. This was the weakest point on the offensive end at the Gold Cup. (Which is not to say that it was terrible.)

Since, his flexibility means that he can be used at 3 or 4 different spots, I say wedge him in with the 3 other players on best form among the CBs, LBs, DMs and LMs.

A lot of these issues will settle themselves in the upcoming friendlies. If Brennan, Klukowski and Nsaliwa don't show up for iceland or costa rica, then Mitchell may justifiably write them off. For the team to do well, everyone needs to be committed and show up each and every time. We have options and our chances do not decrease by much if these guys arent there, but hoping on the bandwagon at the last minute and displacing others who have sacrificed for the team in the past will hurt the morale of the team.

Hirschfeld is very key for us though, and i do hope he shows up. Wagenaar needs to be getting some playing time as well as i think he is our main back up.

Being Brennans biggest fan, i should say that if he shows up, he should be starting in the distributor midfield role over nsaliwa or anyone else. Brennan is also superior to Jazic in every way. There is also the experience/leadership factor, klukowski can get all the starts possible in Brugge, but that is not going to instill confidence in the players around him to match the level of confidence the team would have with Brennan at left back. Left mid/wing is for dero and simpson to fight over.

Archived