Mitchell names Surinam roster

nolando

Ottawa, Ontario ECanadian Men's World Cup Team head coach Dale Mitchell today named his 18-man roster for the upcoming World Cup Qualifying series against Surinam in Halifax, NS on Sunday, June 22nd at 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday, June 25th at 7:30 p.m.

The team recently earned an impressive 2-1 victory in an exhibition game against the World Cup 2010 hosts South Africa, and a 3-0 drubbing of Trinidad & Tobago in games played in London in May.

Added to the roster is Jason De Vos who has been on an extended hiatus from the team since Canada's failed World Cup Qualifying run for Germany 2006. He was in the stands at last month's game and was quoted as saying that he is, ghonoured to still be of some assistanceh to a Canadian side that has seen it's defence become increasingly suspect over recent years. He was named as a possible replacement for D/MF Tam Nsaliwa, who recently announced his retirement from the international game. He played in the experimental squad that earned a lacklustre, scoreless draw in March in Athens, after which it was widely reported by the media that he stormed off the pitch and right out of the stadium after an early second-half substitution.

An interesting addition to the coaching staff is Randy Samuel, who is Canada's all-time leading caps winner and a member of the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame. Samuel will act in a special advisory role and is expected to be monitoring the state of Canadafs defense.

gWe are brimming with confidence at the moment,h said Mitchell. gAt the same time, the bulk of this team remembers the last set of qualifiers and is sure not going to look too far ahead. This is a team that has set goals and has worked very hard to develop as a team first and foremost this time around.h Gone are the reports of players turning down requests to play for Canada, as was almost commonplace in previous campaigns. In their place are players fighting for a coveted spot on a team that many feel will overturn the jinx and get back to CONCACAF's final qualifying group, the Hex, for the first time since the 1998 France campaign. gThese guys are tired of being called underachievers, and tired of all of the years of pointing at CONCACAF officials as excuses for failed runs. Individual responsibility and team commitment will rule as long as I'm picking the starting eleven,h Mitchell said from CSA offices in Ottawa, where the team will practice until a week before the opening match.

Canadian Roster For Surinam

Name Position Club

Lars Hirschfeld GK (Rosenborg, Norwegian Tippeligaen)

Greg Sutton GK (Toronto FC, MLS)

Jason DeVos D (Ipswich Town, English Championship)

Kevin McKenna D/F (FK Koln, German Bundesliga 2)

Paul Stalteri D/M (Tottenham, English Premier)

Adrian Serioux D (FC Dallas, MLS)

David Edgar D (Newcastle, English Premier)

Ante Jazic D/M (LA Galaxy, MLS)

Jaime Peters M (Ipswich Town, English Championship)

Patrice Bernier M (Kaiserslautern, German Bundesliga 2)

Atiba Hutchinson M (FC Copenhagen, Danish Superligaen)

Julian deGuzman M (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain)

Dwayne de Rosario M/F (Toronto FC, MLS)

Iain Hume M/F (Leicester City, English Championship)

Tomasz Radzinski M/F (Watford, English Championship)

Olivier Occean F (Lillestrom, Norway)

Rob Friend F (SC Heerenveen, Dutch Eredivisie)

Ali Gerba F (IFK Goteborg, Swedish Allsvenskan)

(Dare to dream!)

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Ottawa, Ontario ECanadian Men's World Cup Team head coach Dale Mitchell today named his 18-man roster for the upcoming World Cup Qualifying series against Surinam in Halifax, NS on Sunday, June 22nd at 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday, June 25th at 7:30 p.m.

The team recently earned an impressive 2-1 victory in an exhibition game against the World Cup 2010 hosts South Africa, and a 3-0 drubbing of Trinidad & Tobago in games played in London in May.

Added to the roster is Jason De Vos who has been on an extended hiatus from the team since Canada's failed World Cup Qualifying run for Germany 2006. He was in the stands at last month's game and was quoted as saying that he is, ghonoured to still be of some assistanceh to a Canadian side that has seen it's defence become increasingly suspect over recent years. He was named as a possible replacement for D/MF Tam Nsaliwa, who recently announced his retirement from the international game. He played in the experimental squad that earned a lacklustre, scoreless draw in March in Athens, after which it was widely reported by the media that he stormed off the pitch and right out of the stadium after an early second-half substitution.

An interesting addition to the coaching staff is Randy Samuel, who is Canada's all-time leading caps winner and a member of the Canadian Soccer Hall of Fame. Samuel will act in a special advisory role and is expected to be monitoring the state of Canadafs defense.

gWe are brimming with confidence at the moment,h said Mitchell. gAt the same time, the bulk of this team remembers the last set of qualifiers and is sure not going to look too far ahead. This is a team that has set goals and has worked very hard to develop as a team first and foremost this time around.h Gone are the reports of players turning down requests to play for Canada, as was almost commonplace in previous campaigns. In their place are players fighting for a coveted spot on a team that many feel will overturn the jinx and get back to CONCACAF's final qualifying group, the Hex, for the first time since the 1998 France campaign. gThese guys are tired of being called underachievers, and tired of all of the years of pointing at CONCACAF officials as excuses for failed runs. Individual responsibility and team commitment will rule as long as I'm picking the starting eleven,h Mitchell said from CSA offices in Ottawa, where the team will practice until a week before the opening match.

Canadian Roster For Surinam

Name Position Club

Lars Hirschfeld GK (Rosenborg, Norwegian Tippeligaen)

Greg Sutton GK (Toronto FC, MLS)

Jason DeVos D (Ipswich Town, English Championship)

Kevin McKenna D/F (FK Koln, German Bundesliga 2)

Paul Stalteri D/M (Tottenham, English Premier)

Adrian Serioux D (FC Dallas, MLS)

David Edgar D (Newcastle, English Premier)

Ante Jazic D/M (LA Galaxy, MLS)

Jaime Peters M (Ipswich Town, English Championship)

Patrice Bernier M (Kaiserslautern, German Bundesliga 2)

Atiba Hutchinson M (FC Copenhagen, Danish Superligaen)

Julian deGuzman M (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain)

Dwayne de Rosario M/F (Toronto FC, MLS)

Iain Hume M/F (Leicester City, English Championship)

Tomasz Radzinski M/F (Watford, English Championship)

Olivier Occean F (Lillestrom, Norway)

Rob Friend F (SC Heerenveen, Dutch Eredivisie)

Ali Gerba F (IFK Goteborg, Swedish Allsvenskan)

(Dare to dream!)

What is this ?

Also, we need a new team for Stalteri, somewhere where he'll get loads of playing time, and I'm going with either Hannover or Middlesborough (for reasons that I cannot explain).

And, since this will be the off-season, I'd love to see Hutch and Peters with new teams, too. Transfers up stream--Hutch to a rebuilding Arsenal; Peters to Dortmund. (Again, I have no idea why those teams, but there you have it.)

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Also, we need a new team for Stalteri, somewhere where he'll get loads of playing time, and I'm going with either Hannover or Middlesborough (for reasons that I cannot explain).

And, since this will be the off-season, I'd love to see Hutch and Peters with new teams, too. Transfers up stream--Hutch to a rebuilding Arsenal; Peters to Dortmund. (Again, I have no idea why those teams, but there you have it.)

Wjile we're at it, we need Occean to move to AZ Alkmaar.

You call that a dream...!

Fixed your post.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Toronto—(CP)

They have been ignored, been the butt of jokes and jeered in their own country, but yesterday the Canadian men’s soccer team had the last laugh.

With an empathic 2-0 win over the United States, Canada ended 24 years of frustration and qualified for the 2010 World Cup in front of 20,000 ecstatic fans at Toronto’s BMO Field.

The game was never in doubt after Ian Hume opened the scoring just two minutes into the contest on a free kick from 20-yards. The Manchester City forward set-off a wild celebration in the stands after he removed his jersey to reveal a South Africa 2010 T-shirt underneath.

Hume received a yellow card for the celebration, but had no regrets after the game.

“It was awesome, ” he said. “I’ve waited my whole life to do that. I’m so proud to be a part of this team.”

Canada controlled much of the play after the goal, with the U.S. appearing unnerved by the loud, sell-out crowd.

Chelsea’s Jonathan deGuzman was a commanding presence in the game, only his third for the national side after accepting his first national team cap in last month’s 3-1 win in Mexico City. deGuzman teamed up with his brother, Julian, to set-up Canada’s second goal in the 38th minute.

Jonathon feathered a perfect pass 35-yards to his brother who broke in alone on the American keeper. He made a quick move to his left and deposited the ball into the net for the 2-0 lead.

The game was delayed several minutes following the goal while officials cleared the pitch of streamers thrown by the delirious fans.

The Americans did not threaten following the goal.

After the game head coach Dale Mitchell, a member of Canada’s last World Cup team in 1986, fought back tears while addressing the media.

“For this team to go out and prove everyone wrong,” Mitchell said breaking up. “I’ve never been happier. I’ve never been more proud.”

Canada still has one more game to play in the final qualifying round, a meaningless match-up with Jamaica. Mitchell said that he is looking to bring up a few younger players for that match as he begins to evaluate who will be on the final roster that goes to South Africa.

Canada will also play a friendly in November at Wembly Stadium against England. The English side will be looking to avenge last spring’s 2-0 loss to Canada, a game that included an own goal by former Calgary resident Owen Hargreaves.

Media Guy--hilarious and well done. Though Nolando's dream seems more likely, I won't complain one bit if yours comes true, too.

Stranger things have happened. Could anyone predict 3 or more years ago that our dollar would meet parity with the US dollar? Maybe this isn't the best analogy, but you get my point.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Alright now someone do Canada getting out of the group stage at WC 2010 after ties with Spain and Colombia, and a big win against Australia.

Hell, why stop there...

quote:

Johannesburg--In what is likely the greatest upset in the history of sport, Canada completed a fairy book run through the World Cup with a 3-0 win over Argentina in yesterday's final in Johannesburg....

[8D];)

Archived