Julian DeGuzman 2007 Gold Cup MVP

loyola

quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Has anyone seen a link for this story?

Julian hasn't even mentioned it on his website!

Can't help but wonder how this tournament will affect Jonathan's decision...

One one hand, he might see that Canada is improving and he might want to be apart of that alongside his brother. (i.e. his heart)

On the other, he may see the absurdity of CONCACAF and the weakness of the CSA in supporting the players. (i.e. his head)

Scroll down...

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=3831

quote:Awards

Miller Lite Most Valuable Player: Julian DeGuzman (CAN)

State Farm Best Goalkeeper: Franck Grandel (GLP)

Top Scorer: Carlos Pavon (HON)

Fair Play: Honduras

Honduras got fair play over Canada? We had the fewest number of cards heading into the semi-finals (when Honduras was done) and we, unlike them, never had anybody sent off in a match.

I guess our chasing the officials off the field after the US game screwed us for that award (not that it's worth much).

Hey guys finally I found a full piece on Julian's MVP from Globe and mail. Here it goes.

De Guzman claims MVP honours

PETER MALLETT

Globe and Mail Update

Canadian midfielder Julian de Guzman of Toronto admits he wasn't expecting to be named CONCACAF Gold Cup MVP after his outstanding performance at the bi-annual tournament.

"To be honest it surprised me, I thought Landon Donovan of the United States was going to win the award since they won the championship game," de Guzman said. "I'm glad I was able to put Canada on the map in winning the award. All the thanks really goes to my teammates and especially Canada's fans, I would like to dedicate the award to them."

Donovan scored a goal from the penalty spot as the United States defeated Mexico 2-1 in Sunday's championship game at Soldier Field in Chicago, winning their second consecutive Gold Cup.

De Guzman, a midfielder with Spanish La Liga side Deportivo La Coruna scored both of Canada's goals in a 2-1 win over Costa Rica on June 6 in Canada's opening game in Miami.

Related to this article

Latest Comments

Start a conversation on this story

Related Information

DaMarcus Beasley

Franck Grandel

Pablo

Pablo

Pavel Pardo

Carlos Salcido

Paul Stalteri

He was outstanding throughout the rest of the tournament, acting as a playmaker on several of Canada's goals as the team marched all the way to the semi-final before suffering a controversial 2-1 loss to the United States on Thursday in Chicago.

Canada's Atiba Hutchinson appeared to have tied Thursday's game forcing extra time, however referee Benito Archundia of Mexico ruled that Hutchinson was in an offside position and waved the goal off, thereby eliminating Canada from the competition.

"It would have been better to touch the Gold Cup than win the MVP award," de Guzman said. "I can't wait for a United States versus Canada rematch at BMO Field in Toronto with some rowdy TFC fans. Overall, there were lots of positives to the tournament to work with for the future but it would have been the biggest moment in my career to finally win something with Canada."

The Gold Cup is the confederation championship for teams from North and Central America and the Caribbean.

Canada won their only Gold Cup in 1999 when they defeated Colombia, but de Guzman wasn't yet part of the senior men's team. Canada will begin qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa in late 2008.

GOLD CUP ALL-STAR TEAM

All-Tournament Team selected Sunday for the CONCACAF Gold Cup:

All-Tournament Team

Goalkeeper: Franck Grandel (Guadeloupe)

Defenders: Felipe Baloy (Panama), Richard Hastings (Canada), Frankie Hejduk (United States), Carlos Salcido (Mexico)

Midfielders: Walter Centeno (Costa Rica), Julian DeGuzman (Canada), Pablo Mastroeni (United States), Pavel Pardo (Mexico)

Forwards: Carlos Pavon (Honduras), Blas Perez (Panama)

Honourable Mention

Goalkeeper: Jose Francisco Porras (Costa Rica)

Defenders: Jorge Samuel Caballeros (Honduras); Paul Stalteri (Canada)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (United States); Jose Andres Guardado (Mexico)

Forwards: Jocelyn Angloma (Guadeloupe); Landon Donovan (United States).

Guest Can. in UK

All the thanks really goes to my teammates and especially Canada's fans, I would like to dedicate the award to them.

You are the frickin' man, Julian. Total class.

Peter Goldstein picks a better all star team, although he also has Landycakes.

"Were they worth the championship too? Hard to say. In truth neither they nor Mexico ever looked dominant: Canada and Honduras at their best showed more. And of course you can't forget the phantom offside in the semifinal. I'd love to see another Canada-USA match.

And despite the officiating, I'd love to see another tournament like this one. Almost everyone brought their best squad, almost everyone went on the attack, there were plenty of upsets, plenty of great goals, and best of all, NO GUEST TEAMS. It was a true CONCACAF championship. Are the bosses smart enough to see this? Maybe not. And in 2009 we'll be in the middle of World Cup qualifying, and we're unlikely to get the same quality squads. But let's bask in this one for a while, shall we? We're almost a real live confederation now. Almost.

And here's an all tournament team:

GK (tie): José Francisco Porras (Costa Rica) and Oswaldo Sánchez (Mexico). You can't leave either one off. Porras was very impressive on and off his line, and Sánchez as always was a premier shot-stopper.

LB: Carlos Salcido (Mexico). Still a class act both on attack and defense.

RB: Oscar Garcia (Honduras). Always lively and exciting.

CB: Richard Hastings (Canada). Improved with every game, and by the end was marking and positioning beautifully.

CB: Victor Cordero (Costa Rica). Solid, which was more than you could say for most centerbacks in this tourney.

M: Stéphane Auvray (Guadeloupe). Had a mediocre final game against Mexico, but impressed at the anchor spot.

M: Julian De Guzman (Canada). The main force in the Canada midfield, he scored and created. Named official player of the tournament.

M: Atiba Hutchinson (Canada). A true all-rounder, and should have had the tying goal against the USA.

M: Andres Guardado (Mexico). A constant threat on the left.

F: Landon Donovan (USA). Played both midfield and forward, but let's put him here. Ice-cold PK's and his usual class with the ball.

F: Carlos Pavón (Honduras) Tough choice, since no one really stood out as striker. But he did score five goals.

Archived