Julian DeGuzman 2007 Gold Cup MVP

loyola

Coming into this tourney I wasn't sure what to expect of him but I think two years in La Liga has made him into a more focused and effective player than what I saw during the WCQ. He was THE MAN for our team during this tournament and I have gained a whole lot more respect for both his playing abilities and his continued commitment to our program. What a great 2007 he has had, fighting and succeeding to re-establish his position with Deportivo, and now this.

Massive props, Julian!

I don't think it speaks about any mediocrity on either the US or Mexican side. I think clearly Julian was the player in every match for Canada. I have to say, I am still so frustrated with the American tactics. What would have been the reaction of the team, coach, and president of the US soccer fed, if one of Canada's players had two footed Landon Donovan above the knee, sent him spinning onto his head, about four yards from the ball????????? Regardless of the goal debacle, I would like Linford or someone to make strong statements regarding said subject.

I don't think it speaks about any mediocrity on either the US or Mexican side. I think clearly Julian was the player in every match for Canada. I have to say, I am still so frustrated with the American tactics. What would have been the reaction of the team, coach, and president of the US soccer fed, if one of Canada's players had two footed Landon Donovan above the knee, sent him spinning onto his head, about four yards from the ball????????? Regardless of the goal debacle, I would like Linford or someone to make strong statements regarding said subject.

It is truly amazing to win this without even make it to the final.It goes to show you how really good he is.This is very well deserved and at least something for our best ever Canadian team.The guy that impressed me just as much and not only in skill but extreme dedication and drive is Iaim Hume,what a heart.

Well deserved, and wonderful to see! A testament to his excellent attitude--always--and the hard work he's put in at Deportivo. He's becoming the sort of player we all thought he could be.

I take this as a shout out to the Canadian team, too.

Did Landycakes cry when he didn't win this award? Was he kissing his rings, touching the ground, batting his lamb lasses as they were about to announce the winner? Has he launched an official protest yet?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Did Landycakes cry when he didn't win this award? Was he kissing his rings, touching the ground, batting his lamb lasses as they were about to announce the winner? Has he launched an official protest yet?

He and his team just won their confederations cup...so I doubt it!

Julian deserved the MVP more than anybody including Mr. Greg Louganis II himself (LD).

His accomplishment should be hailed by the CSA and the media (more than the controversy itself)

and should be duly noted by his brother. Julian has proven that there is no shame but pride

instead when wearing the Maple Leaf.

Guest Can. in UK

Has anyone seen a link for this story?

Julian hasn't even mentioned it on his website!

Can't help but wonder how this tournament will affect Jonathan's decision...

One one hand, he might see that Canada is improving and he might want to be apart of that alongside his brother. (i.e. his heart)

On the other, he may see the absurdity of CONCACAF and the weakness of the CSA in supporting the players. (i.e. his head)

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Great work Julian well deserved man. So proud of this team.

Ditto. Many people in the office talking about the Gold Cup. Unprecedented. Hopefully, the media will continue the momentum with a good article on Julian.

I think, as a group we a take some responsibility in promoting football in this country. By protesting and speaking out about a varied group of subjects as well as showing support for our National Teams, a new generation of kids are interested in not only playing but who plays for Canada. Julians' accompishments will only inspire groups of kids to be "Canadian" and have a great deal of pride in wearing the Maple Leaf and not an England or Dutch kit. Way to go Julian!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Can. in UK

Has anyone seen a link for this story?

Julian hasn't even mentioned it on his website

I haven't seen it either. Until we get some sort of official confirmation maybe we should wait on it.

Mind you, the Concacaf site is a disaster.

Archived