Did Hart do enough to stay Canadian Head Coach?

puskas

Osieck was a love him or hate him kind of coach with his players it seemed, Yallop knew the problems but had absolutely no idea about solutions and I think the players knew it. I have been really impressed with Hart. Obviously he is not perfect with our defense lacking a little in strategy and leaving subs too late in the game and so on. What I love about Hart is not only are the star Canadian players showing up for him despite him being just the interm, but they seem extremely movitated, more than for any other coach I can ever recall. Also they play a very eye pleasing beautiful passing game like never a Canadian team did before. I like this guy as our head coach. No need to rush Mitchell, don't fix if it ain't broken.

Very stupid on the part of the CSA I think to wait like 13 month to name a coach and then not allowing Hart the oppurtunity (since Mitchell is not available anyway) to interview for the job with the Gold Cup. Also he had some good results with friendlies too.

Hypothetically, say we won the Gold Cup beating USA 5-0 and Mexico 4-0. Would Mitchell still replace Hart as the coach? What a joke!

quote:Originally posted by puskas

He is also very fair with his player selections. He does not appear to play favorites at all. The American coach even has his son playing on the team lol

Talking about conflict of interest, if I ever seen one. It reminds me of a certain coach who had his wife as team manager.

Hart needs to think through his substitutions more. Why didn't Ribeiro play against Guatemala when we were up 3-nil? Why didn't we start a more offensive team in the second half versus the states? Yes yes we're not privy to the inside inf but some of these moves seem strange. I still think Yallop put our boys on the right track as far as playing attacking football, and I think Hart's done a good job with continuing this style of play. This is the most fun Canadian team to watch I've ever seen. Props to Hart, good job.

he has change the system completely our weakest link has always been creative midfield and he has focus on that aspect of our game and turn it into our strongest point where we are have now one of the best if not the best engine room in concacaf

where other coaches has ignore and completely bypass midfield with long hopeful ball from the back.

two defensive midfield and 3 attacking midfield with the ability to score goals as genuine strikers when goal is within striking distance.

Dont we still have the third place game to play for?

with that we would have played two more games that any of our Concacaf rivals except for the USA and Mexico.

now both are playing in the Copa which means a minimum of 3 extra games

we have to keep pace with those two uin terms of games played if are thinking of at least leaving the rest behind.

the CSA should take of that opportunity to arrange some friendies at BMO field and take full advantage of the momentum created by this team

this is a money making team for the CSA with the attractive style of soccer that they have demonstrated in this tournament

it will an opportunity for the fans to show their appreciation and support this team for the beautiful display of soccer they have given us and it will be money well invested into the future of soccer in this country.

a sold out crowd would sure be the case a win win suituation for the CSA a few more much needed cash in the bank for the CSA and much needed games for our MNT.

for once we have a product that is marketable lets put it some more on display.

Mitchell and Hart have been working together as peers/colleagues for a long time, they will basically see eachother as equals, and bring out eachothers strengths. Mitchell will only give the team a bit more backbone and discipline, he wont take away any of the positives Hart brings/has brought to the team.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Mitchell and Hart have been working together as peers/colleagues for a long time, they will basically see eachother as equals, and bring out eachothers strengths. Mitchell will only give the team a bit more backbone and discipline, he wont take away any of the positives Hart brings/has brought to the team.

I really hope you're right about this. Mitchell will definitely help the defensive sharpness, but at what cost? I hope Hart is able to influence Dale to continue to allow DeGuzman, Hutchinson, and DeRosario to exert their creativity. As much as Yallop seemed to lack discipline in every area, I don't think the squad needs a hard-ass right now. Hart seemed to strike about the right balance.

So to the question posed in the thread, I say Hart made a huge name for himself. I thought he was rubbish, not worthy of consideration. But he proved me *completely* wrong. And I love his accent.

I like the idea of Mitchell and Hart almost being co-coaches but as mitchell's been picked it should be seen through, but if we can keep them together (two equally skilled coaches may get themselves into personal problems) but it would be best for us, that if mitchell dropped the ball, we'd have hart there, save us another looking for a new coach fiasco.

Weighing the pros and cons, I think he is a good number 2 (a Carlos Queiroz type) but I don't think he's a number 1. In fact, I think both Mitchell and Hart, at this stage in their coaching careers, are number 2s. (I haven't got time to outline my reasons here: I promise to do it later).

Hart did a fantastic job with the team this year. However, so has Mitchell with the u20's. The two of them should make one hell of a 1-2 punch with the nats.

Mitchell is now in a position to transition his talented u20s into the nats (wich im sure we are all looking forward to) and Hart has been getting the results and quality play together.

I am sure that much of CONCACAF took notice. At some point, T&T are going to sort out the mess with their top players, and the next time they are looking for a coach, they might call Hart and ask him to consider coming "home".

Given that Hart has been in Canada for so long, I'm not sure the appeal would work. But T&T has nice beaches and sometimes a good squad. A head coaching job is always enticing to an assistant coach who tried for the top job and was turned down. It would not surprise me if it turned out that T&T pays their head coaches more than the CSA pays theirs (to say nothing of what an assistant coach makes). Beenhakker would not have been cheap, and the reason why the CSA did not interview coaches of his calibre is because they can't afford him.

Having Hart as backup incase Mitchells screws up sounds appealing, but it could cause friction. As I outlined above, there is a possibility that Hart won't just stay here and wait for his chance if his recent peformance leads to offers from other nations.

Guest Jeffery S.

Hart here and Mitchell with the u-20s are basically following Yallop, who we played some good football with after being eliminated from the WC qualifiers playing a 4-3-3 where the outside attackers were often in the midfield, with this 4-5-1. The only difference as far as I can see is that Hutchinson is now clearly in the middle and De Guzman has really stepped up his game.

If we had Radz with us we would probably have a slightly more attacking option, or at least, since he does not defend as much, would need to play more like a 4-4-2, leave him up and drop the other side attacker back. Similar to this last game vs. the States, where DeRo was more attacking, and Bernier attacked on the right when he could but was really a mid.

We saw vs the States where we have to work: in the midfield, in spite of it being our forte. We need to learn positioning better, off the ball movement, to enable us to get out of pressure when we see it. And we need to have the positioning and discipline to pressure the other team with the ball, the US passed well in very tight situations in the middle.

With that, and a bit more depth in the centre of the defence (though Hastings and Hainault were really great), we really are going to be tough.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Talking about conflict of interest, if I ever seen one. It reminds me of a certain coach who had his wife as team manager.

Michael Bradley is a young standout who plays in the Eredivisie.

He was going to make the US team senior roster eventually. Should he be barred from being on the team because his father is the coach? What if the elder Bradley remains US coach for the next 15 years?

Watching him play live in Chicago, I can tell you that Michael Bradley deserved to be on the pitch as much as any other player there.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Michael Bradley is a young standout who plays in the Eredivisie.

He was going to make the US team senior roster eventually. Should he be barred from being on the team because his father is the coach? What if the elder Bradley remains US coach for the next 15 years?

Watching him play live in Chicago, I can tell you that Michael Bradley deserved to be on the pitch as much as any other player there.

Bradley was behind Johnson in the Heerenveen pecking order was he not? Not that it makes any difference to this thread, I just thought that was the case.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Bradley was behind Johnson in the Heerenveen pecking order was he not? Not that it makes any difference to this thread, I just thought that was the case.

They play different positions. Bradley is a holding midfielder in the 4-3-3 system, he is a direct replacement for Bosvelt. Johnson started off as a wing forward and was moved to one of the attacking mid spots in the middle of the year.

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Mitchell will do well to take advice from Hart on tactical matters.

In future WCQ matches I hope not this pearl of wisdom:

Hart: "Dale, we're still down a goal and getting nothing from Bernier on the right wing. I suggest we put on Harmse."

Archived