Did Linford do enough?

puskas

Based on the comments he has made publically, if he does not care, if he is not as heartbroken then why should us fans even care. If this is the mentality he preaches then maybe soon this is what we will get on the field too. Here is some of the dozen comments that left me shaking my head that he said:

"It's a game played humans and refereed humans," said Linford. "If a mistake was made, it's easy in hindsight. . . we just had to accept it. We didn't think he was offside but the referee and the linesman did, so you have to live with it."

"You get the breaks sometimes, and you don't get them other times."

""I think it's (the Gold Cup) done wonders for the team," Canadian Soccer Association president Colin Linford said from Chicago.

IF LINFORD CAN SHAKE A LOSS OFF LIKE THIS, then perhaps the players will learn to do so also. It is okay if we win, it is okay if we lose because we are all human. It is just fun, that is all eh Linford? I am disappointed by his comments and I only hope he was appealing this call bitterly and was screaming to the right people. His public statement seems to hint otherwise. Too bad. No question the players cared, will they the next time?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He botched the hiring process for the coach, he hasn't delivered proper resources(ie preparation for the Gold Cup and other friendlies) that he promised he would, and now this.

I've said it before, but when does the love for Mr. Linford simply because he fired Kevin Pipe end?

Hard to stomach from the guy who a short while ago was saying (paraphrased) "we cannot continue to accept tiny Caribbean or Central American nations going to the world cup in our place". What happened Colin? Was Warner's offer just too generous to refuse?

Linford needs to grow a pair, grow a spine, and resign if that's the best response he can muster. What is he afraid the two people in mainstream media who saw the game would nail him to the wall if he said something too colourful? When are the CSA going to finally stand up for themselves? Their full time job is Canadian soccer. Do any of you bend over and take it everyday in the office like this? Don't they care about the work they're doing? Fire all these clowns get some people who care about their professions and take their country seriously.

Does anyone have Linford's E-mail and phone number? A full assault is in order.

We should make his life a living hell until he starts doing his job and bitches all the way up to Sepp Blatter about this. The media should be reminded to stay on this for when all the CONCACAF and FIFA bigshots show up for the U-20. MAKE THEM RESPOND!

If Linford was in Chicago, then it should have been necessary for somebody to restrain him! Could you imagine if the President of the CSA decked that corrupt bitch! Worldwide attention and respect - something the CSA has never had.

The way I see it, if the people at the CSA really cared about Canadian soccer, then they would be just as pissed off as the players were.

Found in today's KW Record:

Saturday, June 23, 2007 | Updated at 7:26 AM EDT

Canadians angry over bitter soccer setback

CSA boss Colin Lindford says he won't appeal Thursday loss to U.S.JEFF HICKS

ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.therecord.com/home_page_sports_story/home_page_sports_story_1081134.html

Canada's Atiba Hutchinson argues Thursday's disallowed goal with referee Benito Archundia in Chicago.

(Jun 23, 2007)

Colin Linford bit his tongue. Yesterday, the Canadian Soccer Association president responded with just two words when was asked if an anti-Canadian conspiracy was at work after a botched offside call robbed Canada of a tying goal late in a CONCACAF Gold Cup semifinal match loss on to the United States on Thursday.

"No comment," said Linford, who was reached as he waited for a flight out of the match site of Chicago.

But Linford, who was to return to his Kitchener home yesterday afternoon, admitted the 2-1 loss stung.

"I'm disappointed with the score -- yes," Linford said. "But what else can you say? The referee makes his decision and you have to live with it."

The controversy left the Canadian men's soccer team bitter and angry.

Former CSA chief operating officer Kevan Pipe -- who runs the Chicago venue for CONCACAF, the zone Canada competes in -- stepped in front of a Canadian official who was arguing with officials after the game's bizarre conclusion.

The CSA fired Pipe last year.

The play in question appeared to set the stage for a glorious Canadian comeback as Atiba Hutchinson snuck behind the American defence and kicked the ball home in the final seconds.

However, Hutchinson was flagged offside and Mexican referee Benito Archundia, who called two costly late fouls against Canada in a World Cup qualifier with Honduras in 2004, waved off the tying goal.

Replays showed the ball went off U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu, and that Canadian attackers appeared to be even with the last American defender, meaning the goal should have counted.

"I saw the linesman's flag go off before the ball went in the net," said Linford. "But then I had the opportunity to watch the instant replay because I was in the top of the stands and it became obvious to everyone who had originally thought it was offside that, in fact, it should not have been called back on an offside decision."

So the officials blew it.

Any chance of a protest before the sport's governing body of FIFA?

"No, no, no," Linford said.

"There's no need. There's no point. I wouldn't go that route."

How about lobbying FIFA president Seth Blatter for the introduction of video replays for such crucial moments in international games?

"He doesn't want any part of going to cameras or anything else," said Linford, recalling Blatter's comments at the last FIFA congress.

"He just thinks that the game is played by humans and refereed by humans. So it's a human decision. Whether one would agree with it is really irrelevant."

Would Linford, with the junior World Cup set to begin in Canada with the national under-20 team taking on Chile on July 1 in Toronto, be in favour of bringing in video review should similar controversies arise in the future?

"No, not for that kind of thing," he said. "It's just one of those things. And I tend to agree with (Blatter). That it's a human game and humans make decisions and humans make mistakes. Sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes you don't. This time, we didn't get any breaks at all."

Linford believes Canada had momentum and would have gone on to win the match in extra time on Thursday had Hutchinson's goal stood.

"We're never gonna know," he said.

Still, Linford takes some positives out of Canada's Gold Cup efforts.

"The big thing is, our team is getting better," he said. "We're not going to be the pushover in qualifying out of CONCACAF next year that some people would think. We were definitely the better team in CONCACAF games. We were entertaining. We scored goals. We had structure. We did everything we should do."

But a call went against them.

jhicks@therecord.com

Let the referees push us around too, and the confederation. Refs must be thinking man, we don't even need to pay attention when we ref Canada matches. What's the worst that's going to happen? Everyone will just forget the howling calls we make. Canadians are such nice suckers. CONCACAF must be happy too. They got their US vs Mexico final without much fuss. No point in appealing to FIFA and bringing attention to this though...

if Linford is right and there is no point in a FIFA appeal, that implies that Blatter is as corrupt as Jack "hide the silverware" Warner.

In that case, the only remaining viable option is to demand non-CONCACAF officials for our WCQ games. I wish a reporter would ask Linford if he will go that route. Surely we get some say, at least for our home games.

Guys...

What would you have him do? Honestly. We all know how much good a protest would do. Although the call was clearly wrong, upon watching it again I've realized that it was a lot closer to being offside than I thought (although that depends on whether you believe the American purposely played the ball or whether it deflected off him).

Also, we don't know what has been said behind closed doors. We can fear that nothing has been said--and have 20+ years of evidence to back up our fear--but we don't actually know.

The one thing I am coming to believe is that, as counterintuitive as it initially seems, this could end up helping the team. It unifies the players and it increases the profile of the program. John TV conspiracy rants aside, the blown call got really good placement in the Toronto papers. Getting screwed by the Americans is something that most Canadian sports fans can relate to and, ironically, losing to the Americans in this way probably did more to make people take the team seriously than had we beat them.

Soccer fans are talking about this. I'm not sure they would have talked about a win as much.

Make no mistake...I'm pissed. I have barely had the energy to even think about soccer for the last couple days (hopefully TFC can get me back on track tonight...). But, honestly, it is done.

Among nations that will be taking part in the next WCQ round we finished third in this Gold Cup. Repeat that in 2009, we go to South Africa. And that, obviouslly, is the point.

The most brilliant thing Holger said during his tenure came in 2000 after the Gold Cup win: (paraphrasing) "This is nice, but it won't matter if we don't qualify for the World Cup. We are the Canadian World Cup team, not the Canadian Gold Cup them."

"This sucks, but it won't matter if we qualify for the World Cup...."

I'm done being bitter about this. Three weeks ago I was feeling pretty bleak about the nats. Now, based on the play I saw on the pitch, I once again have hope. Regardless of one ****ty offside call.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Guys...

What would you have him do?

If you refer to my post immediatetly above, that is something Linford could do. Any chance you could plant the idea in his mind the next time you interview him? If we get German or Italian or Spanish or English officiating crews and still lose, well at least we won't suspect a conspiracy. COBCACAF has zero credibility, for good reason.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

If you refer to my post immediatetly above, that is something Linford could do. Any chance you could plant the idea in his mind the next time you interview him? If we get German or Italian or Spanish or English officiating crews and still lose, well at least we won't suspect a conspiracy. COBCACAF has zero credibility, for good reason.

OK...I'll tell you what. Although I don't currently work for a publication that such a story would fit in, I will spend some time this weekend pitching a story (about perceived pro-US/Mexico bias in the region)to a few places. If I get a bite, I'll write it and share what I'm told here.

This Linford guy is a disgrace. I don't think I want this guy to represent the CSA. He's f...ing whimp. He has no fighting spirit at all. If we had a guy like Don Cherry running the show at the CSA, he will be all over CONCACAF wanting an explanation for Thursday's travesty. We need a president that is willing to stand-up for Canada, rather than this humble/self-serviant attitude.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

The one thing I am coming to believe is that, as counterintuitive as it initially seems, this could end up helping the team. It unifies the players and it increases the profile of the program. John TV conspiracy rants aside, the blown call got really good placement in the Toronto papers. Getting screwed by the Americans is something that most Canadian sports fans can relate to and, ironically, losing to the Americans in this way probably did more to make people take the team seriously than had we beat them.

Soccer fans are talking about this. I'm not sure they would have talked about a win as much.

What? First win against the US since 1985. A brilliant heroic comeback?? Everyone would have been talking about that except it would have been in a much more positive manner. I don't think it's right to suggest that more people are taking Canada seriously since we lost. The casual Canada fan still shrugs their shoulders and says, well we lost again 2 to 1.

The only reason we are not making a big stink about this, is because the U-20 Tourney is starting in 8 days. Heaven forbid we upset our FIFA masters by something we might say or do.

At the very least Linford would have said something colorful, the media love these kinds of contreversy and the Canadian fans would have felt some Canadian pride towards Canadian soccer so when the World Cup qualifying came around, perhaps they would have bought tickets. But instead when Canadian soccer was getting some attention, he was doing his best to kill it. Not very smart!

Guest speedmonk42

Yeah Linford should have said something that made press.

Does he have any idea what has gone on here?

If it was a single mistake sure, people here would be pissed. However, is it a pattern?

Those two Honduras games were the first time I ever really felt were not mistakes, then shortly after we know what happened in Europe.

If you can bribe referees in Germany and Italy, whats it going to take in Central America?

Perhaps a protest should be made, not because it could be successful, it won't be, but to embarass CONCACAF and make them realize that the time for saying "oh well these things happen" is over. Similarly the next time that they assign us Arruchiada(sp?)- and they will assign him to us again in next years qualifying - play the game under protest. Let the ref know that we're done taking this crap that we remember what has happened in the past and that as an organization we aren't going to let it go. If the game is well reffed then the protest may have accomplished something and if there is an incident like this again then there is real grounds for a protest ot FIFA.

Colin falls on his face in this one.

"But what else can you say?"

This question is enough proof for me you dont know how to do your job.More questions from a CSA official who should know what to do, thats what his job is.

How long have we watched the CSA with this clearly incompetent and irresponsible attitude? Decades now and Colin you just joined the club.

If you cant do your job and dont know what to do get out, resign.

For $%%^^ sake, dont ask what to do, know what to do and do it.

Now will ask you the questions Colin?

First Colin when did you know "mr Mexico" Archundia was assigned to this game. After his history with us what did you do Colin?

Why are you not right now not "discussing" with Blatter ensuring all the protocol and policies are followed to the tee from now on. And asking him directly what thesteps for protest and review are?

Why did you not first ask prior to this game why a Mexican official allowed to ref this game. Which clearly makes no sense for either team?

Why are you not off your a@## Colin doing your job ensuring the above never happens again?

Those are some basic simple hints Colin. If you dont know the rest I am not doing your job for you. And even if there are no procedures in place Colin do your job and propose or make some because there clearly needed.

Colin you are not doing your job and if you dont do your job you should be fired.

Linford's comments seem to imply that he is in favour of some kind of implementation of video replay, but knows that FIFA is not, and has already given up that fight.

Why would the CSA not take a principled stand and make some kind of a measured statement, in the context not just of the recent fiasco, but of the experiences of past years, supporting some kind of investigation/pilot project, whatever, water it down as much as you want, into measures like video replay, that could improve the quality of officiating and at the same time minimise opportunities for any kind of on-field corruption or match fixing.

It shouldn't be wrong to say what we think. This is not the same thing as going 10 rounds of bare-knuckle boxing with Sepp Blatter (appealing as that might be to some).

What have we got to lose? What's he going to do - have us tossed out of the Gold Cup?

Archived